nasal mask is burning the inside of my nose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
julieb1971

nasal mask is burning the inside of my nose

Post by julieb1971 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:38 am

I have had apnea for 4 years and have been using a full face mask the whole time, a few days ago I had to switch to a nasal mask (one that goes in the nose), because the face mask was causing severe wrinkles on my face as well as 2 cysts on the bridge of my nose. I have tried to use the nasal, but, it is causing my sinuses to burn, I have plenty of water in my humidifyer and is up almost all the way. is there something I can do to stop the burning, I can not continue to not use my machine and I can not go back to using a face mask.

archangle

Re: nasal mask is burning the inside of my nose

Post by archangle » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:07 am

Welcome to the board.

We need to know what model of CPAP machine and mask you have. Check the link at the bottom of this post about filling in your profile.

You can look at the listings on cpap.com to help you figure out what kind of CPAP mask and machine you have.

Is your mouth or throat dry as well?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:16 am

Might try a bit of Lansinoh ointment to the inside of the nostrils. Safe to use in the nostrils and used by nursing mom's to help with sore nipples. I had a tiny bit of burning once with the nasal pillows but they were in a crimp and not working properly. I have no experience with over the nose mask but burning in nostrils is not a common problem.
First thought would be humidity but you report that most of the water is used up each night I don't know what to offer.

And yes, add your equipment to your profile please.

Lansinoh found in the baby section at Walmart. I would suggest using it during the day as well as at night.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:35 am

julieb1971 wrote:I have had apnea for 4 years and have been using a full face mask the whole time, a few days ago I had to switch to a nasal mask (one that goes in the nose), because the face mask was causing severe wrinkles on my face as well as 2 cysts on the bridge of my nose. I have tried to use the nasal, but, it is causing my sinuses to burn, I have plenty of water in my humidifyer and is up almost all the way. is there something I can do to stop the burning, I can not continue to not use my machine and I can not go back to using a face mask.
If you are putting the mask "in your nose"...that may be the problem. The rubber tips (pillows)should stay on the outside of your nares. If they go inside, they may be too small.

apneawho

Post by apneawho » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:37 am

I use the Swift FX nasal pillows. Early on I used Ayr saline nasal gel and Simply Saline mist to get through the sensitivity and soreness in nares. I don't have to use this stuff regularly now. Try these and try Lansinoh product that was mentioned. None of these things are expensive and may help you get through this.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:57 am

I totally miss the "in the nose" comment.
Nasal pillows? Try a different size. Make sure the pillow tips (and only the teeny tip) are inside the nostril and it is not in a bind. Reposition the headgear. Loosen the straps. Still use the Lansinoh though.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

djr1215

Post by djr1215 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:24 am

julieb1971 wrote:I have had apnea for 4 years and have been using a full face mask the whole time, a few days ago I had to switch to a nasal mask (one that goes in the nose), because the face mask was causing severe wrinkles on my face as well as 2 cysts on the bridge of my nose. I have tried to use the nasal, but, it is causing my sinuses to burn, I have plenty of water in my humidifyer and is up almost all the way. is there something I can do to stop the burning, I can not continue to not use my machine and I can not go back to using a face mask.
I also have burning in the nasal passages/sinuses, fortunately for me, it's only occasional and I switch to a full-face for that night or do without.
For those offering the Lansinoh and wrong size nasal pillows options - it's not at the insertion site of the pillows, the burning is well up in the nasal passages, at least for me and it's very painful - feels like fire burning me from the inside.

jilliansue

Post by jilliansue » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:35 am

When I first started out, I used the Swift FX nasal pillows mask. While I never had burning, I did sometimes find that having all the air forced directly up my nostrils a bit irritating. I have since switched to a nasal mask, and find that having the air blowing into a mask that surrounds my whole nose, as opposed to directly up my nostrils, helps with that. I also don't experience the same force of air blowing into my nose that way, that is, the pressure feels like less using the nasal mask than it did using the nasal pillows.

Good luck!
Jilliansue

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:39 am

If the burning is actually deep in the sinuses (maxillary or frontal) then that is an uncommon side effect.
Sounds like dehydration. Wonder if using something like Simple Saline frequently would hydrate well enough into the sinus area to help...perhaps even a neti post rinse to hydrate the sinus area.

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:37 pm

djr1215 wrote: I also have burning in the nasal passages/sinuses, fortunately for me, it's only occasional and I switch to a full-face for that night or do without.
For those offering the Lansinoh and wrong size nasal pillows options - it's not at the insertion site of the pillows, the burning is well up in the nasal passages, at least for me and it's very painful - feels like fire burning me from the inside.
If the irritation is that high up, you may also want to pay careful attention to the angle of the pillows when they are on your nostrils. When the pillows are properly placed, the air should not be hitting the sides of the nose at all. It could be that the burning sensation is being caused by the pillows not being aligned quite right and the air from the CPAP is whamming into the sides of the nasal passage triggering the irritation. And dehydration may be contributing to the burning. In addition check to make sure the humidifier is working and set high enough since that too may provide some relief.

Also---are you on any medication that can cause problems with nasal irritation or dehydration?

lking

Post by lking » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:27 pm

Use Ayr Nasal Gel inside each nostril and see if increasing the setting on the humidifier by one number helps. I had your problem when I first started using my machine...I found these suggestions to be my solution. You may find that gradually increasing the humidifier setting one number each night is necessary until the burning ceases. You don't want to reach a humidifier setting that causes rainout.
OSA Sleep Test 8/29/07, AHI 64, Sat. 74%
Titrated 10/1/07, Pressure 13
Re-titrated 9/29/08, Pressure 15/10
BiPAP set at 15/10
---------------

"To sleep, perchance to dream" - William Shakespeare

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:33 pm

Is it possible that your mouth is opening at night? The rush of air will dry out your mouth, throat, and sinuses. If your mouth and throat are dry, I would recommend a chin strap to keep your mouth shut.

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:27 pm

The only time I have burning in the nose, is when I have bad leaks, either through the mouth or around the pillows. Earl

deesy58

Post by deesy58 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:01 pm

I have been using CPAP since 1998 with only a brief allergic reaction to my first mask, which contained latex. That reaction was, primarily, visible as a red, angry rash on the skin around my nose.

In February of this year (2012) I received a new CPAP machine and mask. I began using it a couple of weeks later. I used it for seven straight nights, and it burned and blistered the inside of my nose so badly that my nasal passages swelled shut. I had to revert to my old machine which, fortunately, still works.

It took me more than a month to heal the inside of my nose because the burns were so bad. My Pulmonologist seems to believe that it might be something in the machine, itself. To me, it seems more like a chemical burn resulting from "off gassing" of plastic or electrical components within the machine than it is from any sort of allergic reaction. My mask is the type that completely covers the nose. The machine is a Respironics "Remstar Pro C-Flex" and the mask is a respironics "ConfortFusion."

Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Deesy

macewa

Post by macewa » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:25 pm

When my pressures were very high, I got what I would call, "wind burn" up in my nose. Nothing worked. Saine solutions and gels only made it burn more. The only thing I could do was to let it heal and changed to my total face mask. After that first awful time, I had it happen again when I was trying another mask and during the day I stuffed kleenex up my nose on the side that burned (it burned just to breathe regularly). But by doing that, it allowed me at night to use the mask. I finally got through it. I hope the gels help you. But if not, then you just have to do what you have to do to get healed. None of my doctors knew what to do and of course, everyone kept insisting the saline stuff would help.they were wrong! Good luck
djr1215 wrote:
I also have burning in the nasal passages/sinuses, fortunately for me, it's only occasional and I switch to a full-face for that night or do without.