Machine Malfunction???????

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
macewa

Machine Malfunction???????

Post by macewa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:21 pm

I have moved into the living room where the airconditioner is so that I can tolerate my total face maks. Last night I masked up a little after midnight and woke up around 6am. Also, I am on BiPap, but that s not what my data told me and I don't understand . . . . I did forget to turn the oxygen on, but I did use the BiPap and had my mask on all night except to go to the bathroom and I didn't turn the machine off. I did however have to adjust my mask every so often to keep it from laking. Below are the charts that showed up. Notice the graphs show no AHI but the data on the side shows AHI 42 and whe I looked to see events, there were no events. Also you will see that I was in C-Papa mode. I've had some strange goings on with electricity the past few days . . but this? I went back into the machine and it was set for BiPap.

greatunclebill

Re: Machine Malfunction???????

Post by greatunclebill » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:57 pm

see what you have for the next night. strange things happen when sleepyhead burps now and then.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:30 am

Do you have any Encore software?
Though my first suspect is that SleepyHead had a brain fart.
All night on the machine?...it is showing only about 3 hours with the machine on.
If it continues to be whacko we need to see what Encore says is happening so that we can know who to blame...either SleepyHead or the machine. Let me know if you need/want Encore. I forget if you have it and what your computer specs are.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

macewa

Post by macewa » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:17 am

I woke up just a little while ago because of leaks with my mask and could feel the pressure as being higherand steady at that higher rate. Pressure showed at 20 on front of machine. It is showing BiPap mode again, but my numbers are horrific. What is going on? All of a sudden I"m out of control. Just out of the blue everything is skyrocketing. The air pressure is now waking me up. aughhhh I'm not sure what the PS of 13 is. Should that be set that high? Good grief - I've lost a total of almost 50 pounds - now have low blood pressure, more breathing capacity due to the surgery and I'm just getting worse? I was so close to doing better. Could my working now have anything to do with this? and the fact that I'm having to get up so early (which exhausts me)? Could the fact that I'm living in this smoky area (where my lungs are rebelling) have anything to do with this? The fire is 30% contained, but there is still smoke even if I can't see it right now. I know during the day I am coughing quite a bit due to the smoke. I was soooo close to those perfect numbers. Now I'm wide awake and need to go back to sleep but have to get up in another hour to get ready to go to work - then I will come home ready to fall alseep (3pm) I am back to having no life again. Just work and sleep. My nose is starting to act up again (runny) since the air pressure numbers are going up for so long. All I can say is that since I started this I've had 8 months of misery in one way or another. But at least I was seeing some difference during the day. Now I can feel the vertigo trying to come back and I'm tired. I can tell with my voice and how it sounds.

System One 750P
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex
Mode: Bi-Level
EPAP: 10.0 IPAP: 23.0 cmH2O
PS: 13.0
Date Sleep Wake Hours
6/8/2012 23:03 03:46 04:43:42

AHIApnea / Hypopnea Index 34.68
Hypopnea 3.60
Obstructive Apnea 27.07
Clear Airway Apnea 4.02
Resp. Effort Related Arousal 0.21
Flow Limitation 1.27
Vibratory Snore 0.00
Periodic Breathing 14.29%

Event BreakdownStatistics
Channel
Min Med 95% Max
Pressure (cmH20)
W-Avg: 12.00 10.00 10.00 12.00 12.00

EPAPExpiratory Pressure (cmH20)
W-Avg: 15.32 7.00 14.80 20.00 21.00

IPAPInspiratory Pressure (cmH20)
W-Avg: 17.58 9.00 16.92 22.00 23.00

PSPressure Support (cmH20)
W-Avg: 2.26 2.00 2.00 4.24 5.50

Minute Vent.Minute Ventilation (L/min)
W-Avg: 5.53 0.00 5.62 11.38 18.75

Resp. RateRespiratory Rate (breaths/min)
W-Avg: 15.70 2.08 16.00 19.00 20.60

Total LeaksTotal Leak Rate (L/min)
W-Avg: 31.07 17.00 29.25 49.80 148.92

SnoreSnore (unknown)
W-Avg: 0.01 0.00 0.00 0.00 1.00

Insp TimeInspiratory Time (seconds)
W-Avg: 2.31 0.46 1.92 4.20 9.50

Exp TimeExpiratory Time (seconds)
W-Avg: 1.57 0.20 1.60 2.32 2.66

Tidal VolumeTidal Volume (ml)
W-Avg: 349.33 13.33 320.00 740.00 1159.90

Machine Settings
Pressure Relief Bi-Flex x1
Humidifier Setting Off

macewa

Post by macewa » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:31 pm

Well, happy to say that today my AHI is down to 10.69 with most everything happening in the first hour and a half and the last hour and a half. So, in the middle I got some decent sleep. I actually feel better today than the past several days. I got a renewal on my inhaler and hopefully that will help stop some of the coughing from the smoke. Seems we have smoke not just from the Gila fire, but also fires in Mexico. I'm sure many of you are having problems with that too as I looked at the smoke paths of several fires in the state and Mexico and those paths cover a lot of territory. Maybe tomorrow will be better AHI wise. I just have no idea why things have gotten so crazy and I don't like that because I feel awful when they do. I envy those of you that started on this journey and it worked early on.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:14 pm

macewa wrote:I'm not sure what the PS of 13 is.
Hi,

PS is pressure support. That is the minimum difference between inhale and exhale pressure. Your machine appears to be set up in Auto BiPAP mode. The pressure range is set for 10 to 23, with a pressure support of 13, which means that it starts at an exhale of 10, an inhale of 23 (exhale 10 + pressure support 13), and it cannot adjust any higher because it is already max'ed out at 23.

When the machine runs, you should feel the two different pressure levels between inhale and exhale. Another way you can see this is if you take a really deep breath, the machine should time out and make breathing a lot harder after about 5 seconds or so. If it isn't flipping between two different pressures between inhale and exhale, then something isn't working right.

High mask leaks or mouth leaks can trick a BiPAP into thinking that you are inhaling before you start to take a breath, and that confuses both you and the machine. All bets are off when there are high leaks.

Do you happen to know what your prescription is for type of machine and pressure levels? It is always possible that your machine had a glitch and set the pressures funny. I have never seen that personally on my machines, but anything is possible with computers.

-john-