Life is destroyed by sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sickwithapnea17

Life is destroyed by sleep apnea

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:48 am

my life has been destroyed by central apnea, obstructive. I wake up with headaches from low oxygen, can't remember or think, exhausted, no motivation- I still wheeze from asthma. I'm on ASV but it hasn't helped, my IPAP shoots up to 20cm many times and I keep taking the mask off in the middle of the night.
Is PS max 15 a good setting or should I go with lower like 12?
I'm on asthma meds but they haven't really helped, maybe prednisone helps a little. My throat is paralyzed when I lie down, I can't swallow sometimes.
I've taken VitD for my level of 25 and vitC, but there is no med that has really helped except prednisone and klonopin. does trazodone help?
thanks very much
Last edited by sickwithapnea17 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
18/14 bipap st

nanwilson

Re: Life is destroyed by sleep apnea

Post by nanwilson » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:58 am

Really...tell your doctor not us, we are patients just like you.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:59 am

Feel free to vent.
Get the frustration out, but keep trying.
Do not give up.
Like Nan says-keep after your doctor; there may be more they can do, but you have to ask.

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:00 pm

One thing I have learned is that a lot of how you do on CPAP is up to you. It is something that you need to work at yourself and my humble recommendation would be to break your problems down into small parts and work on getting each small part fixed so they will come together. Looking at the big picture...your life...can be overwhelming at times so work on just keeping the mask on for a predetermined period of time. Then pick the next problem and work on that. Good luck and keep us posted.

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:17 pm

Maxie wrote:One thing I have learned is that a lot of how you do on CPAP is up to you. It is something that you need to work at yourself and my humble recommendation would be to break your problems down into small parts and work on getting each small part fixed so they will come together. Looking at the big picture...your life...can be overwhelming at times so work on just keeping the mask on for a predetermined period of time. Then pick the next problem and work on that. Good luck and keep us posted.
Excellent advice, Maxie! One day at a time, one problem at a time.

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:23 pm

Listen to Maxie!!

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:36 pm

Some of the drugs your taking might be causing some of the problems. Only your doctor can adjust that.
You mentioned a few in your earlier posts. Theophylline, asthma meds,...
All medicines may cause side effects and some of what your going through might be that you need an adjustment somewhere.

This probably may have nothing to do with you, but I've been told to stay off my back. I seem to have more problem on my back that on my side or stomach. if you waking with your pressure through the roof, are you flat on your back?

jlklinko

Post by jlklinko » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi there
1) Chin up! Life is what you make it.
2) Have patience with the CPAP machine.
3) x2 on calling your doctor right away!!!!

sickwithapnea17

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:47 am

I read that sleeping with a tennis ball in a sock on your back helps
but I've given hope sometimes I don't even use the machine because I think I'm already brain damaged. I've spent my life teaching on faculty and now I'm in so much debt from educational loans and can't even work or study well because of this disease
18/14 bipap st

insylem

Post by insylem » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:32 am

Sorry to hear about your troubles.
I hope you and your Dr can get things straightened out. It took me a while to get adjusted to useing cpap. It took faith, determination and stubernness on my part. Faith that the treatment would work, Determination to make it work, and stuberness to not allow myself to give up. Now I can sleep and breath at the same time

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:17 pm

sickwithapnea17 wrote:I read that sleeping with a tennis ball in a sock on your back helps
but I've given hope sometimes I don't even use the machine because I think I'm already brain damaged. I've spent my life teaching on faculty and now I'm in so much debt from educational loans and can't even work or study well because of this disease
A Fanny Pack filled with something hard will also work.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:19 pm

sickwithapnea17 wrote:my life has been destroyed by central apnea, obstructive. I wake up with headaches from low oxygen, can't think, have exhaustion, no motivation- I still wheeze from asthma. I'm on ASV but it hasn't helped me a lot, my IPAP shoots up to 20cm many times and I keep taking the mask off in the middle of the night.

I'm on asthma meds but they haven't really helped, maybe prednisone helps a little. My throat is paralyzed when I lie down, I can't swallow sometimes.
thanks very much
Comment,

You don't reveal your age and gender, but if you're young, below 30, then it is really sad to see you "ruin" your life!

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:48 pm

sickwithapnea17 wrote:I read that sleeping with a tennis ball in a sock on your back helps
That is different story then you told last time.
In fact the story get different every time. And more complicated.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

tigrpal

Post by tigrpal » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:50 pm

Apnea can make life suck but life's not ruined until we stop searching for solutions. Please share your needs with your doctor. Something about your treatment isn't working. Adjustments must be made. Hang in there. Don't quit.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:19 pm

Don't feed the troll!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm