Treating sleep apnea without the mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Trudge

Re: Treating sleep apnea without the mask

Post by Trudge » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:05 am

I have just spent the past 7 days trialling Provent, as I cannot tolerate a CPAP machine and have had no success using a Somnimed mouth device.

My husband says that I no longer snore and stop breathing. It is really easy to use and I am looking forward to feeling like I have had a good night's sleep in the coming weeks.

Not sure why, but just not to snore and stop breathing is proof for me.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Proof of what?

You have used it for 7 days (nights?) and still haven't had a good night's sleep?

7 days without CPAP and I would probably have a stroke or a heart attack.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

Heavylids

Post by Heavylids » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:42 am

NightMonkey wrote:
The device contains two pinhole-size valves, one over each nostril. The valves let air in easily — most people breathe through their nostrils while asleep — but there is resistance as the user exhales. That resistance creates a backpressure in the airways, dilating the muscles that would otherwise collapse in the middle of the night.
What do you not understand about this statement?
I understand how an outboard device like a CPAP creates air pressure in the airway that keeps the airway from collapsing. But, no one is going to convince me that with this device we can exhale, creating backpressure that opens our airway, and at the same time inhale through that same open airway. Sounds like snake oil to me.

pats

Post by pats » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:55 am

Heavylids wrote:I understand how an outboard device like a CPAP creates air pressure in the airway that keeps the airway from collapsing. But, no one is going to convince me that with this device we can exhale, creating backpressure that opens our airway, and at the same time inhale through that same open airway. Sounds like snake oil to me.
I don't see where you are getting "at the same time" from. Obviously, when using Provent I inhale and exhale at different times. My understanding is that holding the airway open during exhale is enough, at least in some patients, to allow transition to a normal, unassisted inhale.

Issac

Post by Issac » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:41 am

In defense of " trudge" , the poster said " I am looking forward to feeling like I have had a good night's sleep in the coming weeks". That tells me she needs to get use to it which is what our regular posters have said. "Trudge", we've had trolls here that sign on for one or two posts with agenda's of some sort or another. Tell us more about you such as where you had your study so we can follow your progress on this new therapy.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:58 am

Heavylids wrote:I understand how an outboard device like a CPAP creates air pressure in the airway that keeps the airway from collapsing. But, no one is going to convince me that with this device we can exhale, creating backpressure that opens our airway, and at the same time inhale through that same open airway. Sounds like snake oil to me.
I'm skeptical, too, but it isn't entirely magic.

It makes sense how it helps on exhale. As you exhale, it restricts airflow, increasing the pressure in your airway. Presumably most apneacs leak at least a little air out before their throat snaps shut completely.

It doesn't make "mechanical" sense on inhale. The pressure in your airway will drop to zero, otherwise no air would come in.

I think a lot of obstructive apnea occurs on exhale, not on inhale. If it helps prevent apnea during exhalation, that could help.

Breathing is a complex process. Some of the stuff I've read suggests that if your throat is "inflated" during exhale, it may remain "stretched out" long enough for you to inhale. That's probably not the correct "scientific" terms. I remain somewhat skeptical.

Even with continuous active pressure from a CPAP machine, it still takes a lot of tweaking for most of us to get CPAP to work for us. How likely is it that an exhale only, non-adjustable CPAP is going to give good treatment?

There is obviously no data collection to track how the treatment is working.

Are people going to use this, get partial but ineffective treatment, and then not get proper treatment with CPAP?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

pats

Post by pats » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:03 pm

archangle wrote:There is obviously no data collection to track how the treatment is working.
My sleep doctor does not think a sleep study is necessary for my case, and my planned use of Provent for travel and backup. However, he told me that there is a special version of Provent that doctors can order that has provision for inserting measuring devices to do the breathing measurement part of a sleep study. Obviously, there had to be a way to do data collection for the studies that lead to Provent being approved.