5YO with CPAP-Itching and masks comes off during sleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TEXASGRAM

5YO with CPAP-Itching and masks comes off during sleep

Post by TEXASGRAM » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:10 pm

I have a 5YO grandson that has had a CPAP since first of last September 2011, he was doing great with
it for abt 4 months...now he is always complaining that it itches and many times it either comes off
or hes taking it off during the night...I dont know which...I ordered him a new mask after 6 months
thinking that was the problem, but it still itches.....any ideas to stop the itching and keep the mask
on other than a CPAP pillow???

NightMonkey

Re: 5YO with CPAP-Itching and masks comes off during sleep

Post by NightMonkey » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:20 pm

That is a common problem even with adults and I will let others who have raised kids make some suggestions.

Have you looked into why he has sleep apnea? Does he have central or obstructive apnea?

Depending on the cause of his apnea I would have a consultation first with a pediatric ENT and, depending on the outcome, a top notch orthodontist.

There may be something they can do in the long run to cure him of sleep apnea.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:19 pm

Google Pad-a-Cheek and order some liners from them (call Karen and ask about pediatric sizes or else cut the larger ones down). We use them to keep from getting red marks overnight, but I'm sure they'd also keep allergies down.

TEXASGRAM

Post by TEXASGRAM » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:52 pm

TY so much for your suggestions...He has had 3 sleep studies since he was 2, has his 4th scheduled for this July, had his adnoids and tonsils removed when he was 2.. been diagnosed with general apnea that got progressively worse since he was 2 which is why we just got a machine last September....of course with little ones if they dont get good sleep then they struggle to learn and have behavior issues because they are tired all the time...apparently he has a very narrow throat with a very high palet...when he lays down it restricts his air passage...we are hoping as he ages and his body grows...it will fix the problem...but in the meantime, Ive got to figure out how to fix the current issue otherwise Kindergarten is going to be rough...thanks again...

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:51 am

TEXASGRAM wrote:....of course with little ones if they dont get good sleep then they struggle to learn and have behavior issues because they are tired all the time...

True with adults also. It is too bad that so many children's doctors overlook this.

TEXASGRAM wrote:...but in the meantime, Ive got to figure out how to fix the current issue otherwise Kindergarten is going to be rough...thanks again...
Understood. All I can suggest is to do some reading in the forum and you will find many adults who have had problems keeping the mask on. Many of them overcame the problem and talk about what they did.
TEXASGRAM wrote: had his adnoids and tonsils removed when he was 2.. ...
Sounds like ENT has done everything for him that he should.
TEXASGRAM wrote:...we are hoping as he ages and his body grows...it will fix the problem.....
No, the problem will not be fixed. It is more likely that his condition will lead to weight gain and worsen.

But the good news is that a knowledgeable orthodontist may be able to fix the problem. There are devices that will widen the palate and expand the jaw. At the appropriate age an orthodontist should be consulted. This could be a very positive life change for your grandson.

My prayers for your grandson and you,
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

TEXASGRAM

Post by TEXASGRAM » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:56 am

TY how very kind of you.....I had never ever considered an ortho of course at the right age....thanks for that suggestion.

Hopefully Ill find some other parents that can share their experiences with their children.....

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:30 am

There's a pediatric forum on the American Sleep Apnea Association website.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

DrPepper00

Post by DrPepper00 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:52 pm

You should see the ortho now. My granddaughter had an expander put in her mouth when she was 6 or maybe 7. She just turned 8 last week. It is widening her mouth to make room for her teeth. Not an OSA problem, but the time to do it is when they are growing.

apnea2142

Post by apnea2142 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:07 pm

I think boiling and cleaning my mask helps and washing the tubing. I try to replace the tubing every 3 months or more. maybe these bacterial filters can help also

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:24 pm

It is not beyond reason to consider BRIBING the little twerp to keep it on all night.
--A little motivation--POSITIVE reinforcement.
Remember being a kid?