Aloha vs Opus 360 Mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Slartybartfast

Aloha vs Opus 360 Mask?

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:45 pm

I have recently read a lot of posts from folks who are enthusiastic about the new DeVilbiss Aloha nasal pillows mask. So I took a look https://www.cpap.com/productpage/devilb ... -mask.html .

The business end of the mask looks virtually identical to that of the Opus 360, of which I have two, as well as a Swift FX. I don't have any complaints with my Opus 360, and I like it very much and use it every night. But I wonder whether the Aloha might be better in some way than the Opus.

Has anyone compared the Aloha with the Opus 360? I'm resisting the impulse to push the button and order one, but I'd sort of like to know if there really is any difference between the two. Does any part of the Aloha touch the upper lip? That would bug me, and is one reason my Swift FX languishes in the drawer.

Anybody tried them both?

Elle

Re: Aloha vs Opus 360 Mask?

Post by Elle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:09 pm

I'm not familiar with the Opus but I couldn't use the FX. The headgear was flimsy and I couldn't keep it on without having it so tight that the pillows hurt. The pillows felt very different to me. I got sore in every position with the FX. It felt like none of the sizes would work.

I tried the Breeze back in 2006 and couldn't handle that one either so I assumed it was a pillow thing. I have used Mirage Activa/Softgel nasal mask for over 5 years and it has been fine until Aloha.

I have great leak reports and actually stay asleep with occasional rolling over without the mask breaking the seal. It is very comfortable while feeling secure and stable to me. I have no nose pain. I am actually still surprised since masks always seemed to me to be something we tolerate. There is a mechanism to adjust the angle of the pillows but I have not had to figure out how that works because the pillows are so comfortable.

I found the small hose seemed more soft or flexible than the one on the FX (but I could be recalling that wrong). I was unaware of having to move it out of the way like I was with the FX hose. With the FX and my Mirage I flipped the hose over the top of the pillow because it felt heavy on my neck or chest but with this one I don't really notice it on my neck it is so light.
Last edited by Elle on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:Has anyone compared the Aloha with the Opus 360? I'm resisting the impulse to push the button and order one, but I'd sort of like to know if there really is any difference between the two. Does any part of the Aloha touch the upper lip? That would bug me, and is one reason my Swift FX languishes in the drawer.

Anybody tried them both?
I have used the Opus 360 since the beginning. I really like it, but once in a while my nose does get irritated from it, so on the strength of the responses here, I ordered an Aloha from our gentle hosts. It just arrived and I haven't yet tried it - I will do so this weekend, and I'll report back

cowlypso

Post by cowlypso » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Good question! I've also been eyeballing the Aloha, in case it's better than the Opus. I actually planned on ordering it last week, but instead got into an argument with my DME over how many payments were left on my machine rental...

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:44 pm

RocketGirl wrote: [snip] It just arrived and I haven't yet tried it - I will do so this weekend, and I'll report back
Yes, see that you do so! My finger is poised over the mouse button. It's getting tired and I don't know how long I can keep it there.
Last edited by Slartybartfast on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NateS

Post by NateS » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:48 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:I have recently read a lot of posts from folks who are enthusiastic about the new DeVilbiss Aloha nasal pillows mask. So I took a look https://www.cpap.com/productpage/devilb ... -mask.html .

The business end of the mask looks virtually identical to that of the Opus 360, of which I have two, as well as a Swift FX. I don't have any complaints with my Opus 360, and I like it very much and use it every night. But I wonder whether the Aloha might be better in some way than the Opus.

Has anyone compared the Aloha with the Opus 360? I'm resisting the impulse to push the button and order one, but I'd sort of like to know if there really is any difference between the two. Does any part of the Aloha touch the upper lip? That would bug me, and is one reason my Swift FX languishes in the drawer.

Anybody tried them both?
Slarty, I ordered and have started using the Aloha because the angle and depth of entry of the nasal pillows into the nostrils can be custom-set and locked into place, so that if the mask gets displaced during the night in the dark, there is only way way to put it back. I don't need a light on or a mirror.

I was very pleased with my Swift FX/Bella in all respects except for the problem of putting it back just right in the dark if it got displaced. At bedtime, I would put the Swift on with the light on and using a hand mirror and it was absolutely wonderful as long as I didn't bump into something, or have the hose pull on it, during the night. Then it was hit or miss to get it back sufficiently to eliminate the hissing which happens with slight misplacement. Yet I probably would have continued to be very happy with the Swift and rave about it, and accepted this one little pesky problem, if they hadn't come out with the Aloha, at which point I was driven to try to move just another step closer to perfection in my nighttime rest.

If you don't have that problem with your Opus 360, then you likely don't need an articulating nose piece, and should continue to be happy with your Opus.

Best regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:42 am

I have used the Opus and, after they did a slight change on it awhile back, I could not get it to sit right.

I have used the Swift FX (not with the Bella loops) with success but find the Aeiomed headrest (altered) to be the best for me. I DID get an Aloha though. I don't use it regularly yet but really like how it fits me. I am thinking it might be much cooler than my adapted headrest in really hot weather. I do really like it and it is very easy to adjust to an individual.

Everyone is so different though. It doesn't necessarily mean this will be a good mask for a lot of others.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Papit

Post by Papit » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:49 pm

NateS wrote: ". . . I ordered and have started using the Aloha because the angle and depth of entry of the nasal pillows into the nostrils can be custom-set and locked into place, so that if the mask gets displaced during the night in the dark, there is only (one) way way to put it back. I don't need a light on or a mirror. . . . "
Is it working out like that, Nate? Is it much easier to re-place the mask/pillows in the dark lying down after a bathroom break? Also, do you have any other comments as compared to use of the Swift FX pillows? Happy to hear you've been making rapid progress with your numbers.
Thanks, --papit

ems

Post by ems » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Watching this thread very carefully... getting ready to hit the button to try the Aloha. For whatever reason, the Swift FX w/Bella Loops is getting more uncomfortable every nite. I'm tried everything (I think), but have had a problem keeping it on all night. Actually thinking about going back to the original Swift FX... until I order the Aloha. Could the Aloha be the magic mask we are all looking for?
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

NateS

Post by NateS » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:22 pm

Papit wrote:
NateS wrote: ". . . I ordered and have started using the Aloha because the angle and depth of entry of the nasal pillows into the nostrils can be custom-set and locked into place, so that if the mask gets displaced during the night in the dark, there is only (one) way way to put it back. I don't need a light on or a mirror. . . . "
Is it working out like that, Nate? Is it much easier to re-place the mask/pillows in the dark lying down after a bathroom break? Also, do you have any other comments as compared to use of the Swift FX pillows? Happy to hear you've been making rapid progress with your numbers.
Thanks, --papit
As an aside, with Flomax but before using xpap, I needed only one mid-night trip to the bathroom. Since starting on xpap and continuing the Flomax, I almost never have to get up to go during the night. Not even once. In 3 1/2 months with my VPAP, I have only gotten up to go on two nights! And I think that was because I had had a beverage just before bedtime, which is not my usual practice. Haven't you noticed a difference since going on xpap? If not, you might talk to your doctor about an Rx for Flomax. (It's finally gone off patent protection now, and the generic is very cheap.)

Back to your question, there are times when, no matter how I arrange or overhang or don't overhang the hose, it will pull on my nasal pillows just enough to displace them slightly, causing a hissing leak. Or I will bump my cheek into the head pillow as I turn over on my side, with the same result. When this happened with the Swift FX with either the headgear or the Bella Loops, the hissing would start or the audible leak alarm would go off on the machine, and I would have to start minute adjustments to the nasal pillows to stop it. Without turning the light on and using a mirror, I would have to adjust and re-adjust the Swift FX and it became quite frustrating while trying to also avoid becoming fully awake. Trying to tip the nasal pillows just right into my nostrils, accidentally jamming the flat base part in, jiggling to the left or the right.

With the Aloha there is only one way - the angle is pre-set. The hanging height is pre-set. It goes back in the way it did when I first went to bed.

Hope this reply is responsive to your question.

Best regards, Nate

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:49 pm

I've tried both, its like night and day. The Alloha is in a class of its own IMO.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:58 pm

What mark do you have your Aloha set on?

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

NateS

Post by NateS » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:33 pm

squid13 wrote:What mark do you have your Aloha set on?
Squid,

I started out with the hook as far out as it could go, because that is the way they came in the box.

Later, after checking the fine print on the instructions, I read:

The angle of the Reservoir may be adjusted by changing its position on the hooks of the Headgear. It is best to start
with the hooks engaged into the Reservoir channels as far as possible and then to rotatably adjust the hooks outward
as needed.
Note that the hooks have four position marks and take care that the hooks on both sides of the Headgear
are let out equally. Note that If the fourth position mark is showing significantly outside of the channel, reinsert the hook
as it is not properly assembled in the channel.

So the next night, I tried that position - with the hooks all the way in to the last notch. I thought I would have to adjust it further, but found that seemed to be very comfortable, more comfortable than all the way out, so I have left them in that position so far - all the way in to the last notch.

I have tried the top strap in both the forward and the backward slot, and found the forward slot more comfortable for me.

At least so far.

Regards, Nate

squid13

Post by squid13 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:33 pm

Nate
I've got mine set all the way out where the hook is up against that flat spot. I tried both slots and went back to the top slot, more comfortable. I could see if you set it to one of the marks in the middle it could possibly move on you. I do believe I like this mask better than my Swift FX and I'm using my O rings on the pillows and they feel better to me than the FX pillows. I tried the Opus 360 but just didn't care for it.

squid

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm sitting tight, hoping they'll come out with a model for us ladies.
Of course, I trust Devilbiss that any gender-based modification will be more than just color!