OT - Eyeglasses

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog

Re: OT - Eyeglasses

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:25 pm

Re the onion 'trick:
Bread does NOT work.
Neither do many of the things we are told.
Airtight goggles prevent the suphur-containing GAS from reaching our eyes.
Water running over the onion helps some, but meanwhile, washing much onion flavor down the drain.
Google "Onion Goggles"--they really work!

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:55 pm

Goggle Onion Googles
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:18 pm

I tried--I sprained my finger--This one!

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:23 pm

I appreciate the heads up concerning on-line eyeglass vendors. The selection and pricing look very attractive. I intend to get a copy of my last prescription and order a pair as a backup against loss or breakage.

TheDuke

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:53 am

Just ordered Cozumel Pin Hole Glasses online, when we get them we will report on it they help. Put this off for fear of getting too cheap of a product, at $27 a pair what the heck. My eye doctor snarloed his nose up when iI ask him about getting a pair, he tested me with a pair and the results amazed me. I spend a lot of time at the computer, 24 inch screens @ 14 inches from my eyes, using Reader Glasses 250 mag, usually. My eyesight changes about 4 times a day depending on my sugar levels. If these glasses meet my needs I will order more, we will see, I HOPE! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:24 pm

I had a physics teacher explain how they work-
-it has something to do with the photons getting squished as they go through an aperture.
--But pinholes work! I used to curl my finger up tight to make a tiny hole, and then look through it as a makeshift telescope.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:44 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I had a physics teacher explain how they work-
-it has something to do with the photons getting squished as they go through an aperture.
--But pinholes work! I used to curl my finger up tight to make a tiny hole, and then look through it as a makeshift telescope.
A little like a peep sight on a rifle your view is pulled down to the target. Jim
Also I have a problem with screens being too bright, keeping some of the light out will help.

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

NateS

Post by NateS » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:34 pm

Goofproof wrote:Just ordered Cozumel Pin Hole Glasses online, when we get them we will report on it they help. Put this off for fear of getting too cheap of a product, at $27 a pair what the heck. My eye doctor snarloed his nose up when iI ask him about getting a pair, he tested me with a pair and the results amazed me. I spend a lot of time at the computer, 24 inch screens @ 14 inches from my eyes, using Reader Glasses 250 mag, usually. My eyesight changes about 4 times a day depending on my sugar levels. If these glasses meet my needs I will order more, we will see, I HOPE! Jim
Please let us know how those Pin Hole Glasses work out for you. I have a special problem with one eye, and wonder whether the Pin Hole Glasses could do what a regular prescription can't. Thanks for the idea, Goofproof.

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

NateS

Post by NateS » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks, archangle!

I had researched online eyeglasses a couple years ago, and then inertia set in and I failed to follow through. Please keep us informed on how these work out for you!

The cost difference is astounding. A few years ago, I brought in a $12 pair of drugstore readers (The kind with holes drilled in the lenses for the frames to attach to) and asked my local optical source if they get me a pair of frames for my prescription exactly like those frames.

"Sure, no problem", he said. "How soon do you want them?"
"How much will the frames cost?," I asked.
"No problem, no problem."
"How much, how much?"
"Oh, just $800 dollars" he said with a wave of his hand!

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:39 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I would like to find a (no line if possible) bifocal swim goggle (cheap)--
One I can wear while cutting onions.
Swim goggles work very well to keep the sulfur compound out of your eyes.
No tears at all--even cutting LOTS of onions.
I have seen some very inexpensive single vision--but no bifocals.
Chunkyfrog, good swim shops that cater to swim teams will fit prescription lenses into swim goggles. I don't know how much it costs but it might be worth checking into.

It's probably overkill, but dive shops will do the same for snorkeling/diving masks. Until my son got contacts, we always got his mask fitted with his prescription, and it wasn't too expensive - basically the cost of the lenses plus a wee bit.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:07 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Re the onion 'trick:
Bread does NOT work.
Neither do many of the things we are told.
Airtight goggles prevent the suphur-containing GAS from reaching our eyes.
Water running over the onion helps some, but meanwhile, washing much onion flavor down the drain.
Google "Onion Goggles"--they really work!
An Army mess Seargent I knew used to hold matchsticks in his mouth while he cut up onions. I never figured out if it worked or not but I watched "The Help" (Great Movie) last night and it was one of the tips in the movie.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Goofproof wrote:Just ordered Cozumel Pin Hole Glasses online, when we get them we will report on it they help. Put this off for fear of getting too cheap of a product, at $27 a pair what the heck. My eye doctor snarloed his nose up when iI ask him about getting a pair, he tested me with a pair and the results amazed me. I spend a lot of time at the computer, 24 inch screens @ 14 inches from my eyes, using Reader Glasses 250 mag, usually. My eyesight changes about 4 times a day depending on my sugar levels. If these glasses meet my needs I will order more, we will see, I HOPE! Jim
That looks interesting. I read about punching a small hole in a 3x5 card and looking through it with one eye. IT WORKS! You move it around until you find the area of your eye that sees clearly.
Let us know how these work.

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:13 pm

archangle wrote:
ameriken wrote:This is great, I had glasses I bought several years ago and then lost them (must be the sleep apnea). So I need to get another pair or two and this is some great advice. Does it matter who we're getting the initial eye test and prescription from or can we do that just about anywhere?
On the site I used, zenni, the source didn't matter, just the numbers.
Seconding or thirding the thanks for this, archangle - I ordered a pair for computer work from zenni on the strength of this thread. They just arrived and they are exactly what I was hoping for, at about 1/5 the cost.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:19 pm

I wonder if looking through a fine mesh screen close-up would have somewhat the same effect;
or would you need to drill tiny holes in a solid piece of metal?
And then fit them into frames--steam punk reading glasses.
Oh, wait! Pinholes in foil! It works!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:44 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I wonder if looking through a fine mesh screen close-up would have somewhat the same effect;
or would you need to drill tiny holes in a solid piece of metal?
And then fit them into frames--steam punk reading glasses.
Oh, wait! Pinholes in foil! It works!
Maybe we could kill two birds at the same time, make a foil hat with a bill that came down over the eyes, to put the pin holes in, better eyesight, and no pesty U.F.O. trips, no more having to reset the wrist watch from lost time. Jim