Aloha...first night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Elle

Aloha...first night

Post by Elle » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:41 am

Sorry, this is about the new mask not something more exotic.

I used Activa or softgel for years and struggled with the headgear. It was too long from top to bottom so I would have to roll up the bottom strap which twisted the clips so I needed padacheeks and those were too hot. It was just never right.

The Swift FX was very light weight and comfortable but the gear just rode up over the top of my head and would pull the pillows out.

I tried the Aloha last night and was very pleased with it. It was not only very light weight so that I could barely tell I had it on yet it was firm enough to stay in place with turning side to side all night. I am really excited with this mask. For one night at least it was perfection on all levels. My leak rate was far less as well.

I guess one night doesn't count for much since things vary but I am hopeful with the Aloha.

Kairosgrammy

Re: Aloha...first night

Post by Kairosgrammy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:56 am

Yay. Nothing like a mask that works to improve your sleep.

Issac

Post by Issac » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:27 pm

I don't want to have to buy online. My DME will have them soon. My friend has one, think he bought it here. he says there's nothing like it. I pay good money for my insurance, let them pay for it. Am I right?

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:56 am

Don't know how long you might wait. It could take a few months for all the dme's to have a new product. This has been absolutely the best pillow for me breathing in and out. Some pillow have exhaust holes that arn't open very wide. It drives me crazy. If a pillow system mask doesn't seal well, don't even bother on a pressure higher over 10 but no one tells you that. It's not just pillows. I went out of pocket for that cloth mask, too. No way does that work at high pressure. My wife's bipap is set at 25 and the only two "pillows" she can wear are the Swift (the original older one, not the LT or FX) and this new Aloha. She tried my aloha and wanted it something terrible even though she tried to tell me I was wasting the money when I ordered it. This particular Aloha is mine, but I'm so tired of seeing the creases on her face all morning from strapping her mask on so damn tight that I'll have to get her one. Her birthday is next week. I got her a Bose radio with CD changer. She knows already, no spoiler here, and I guess a certain new popular pillow mask...and that expensive purple Dyson vacuum she's been wanting for the last 2 years. Since we went gift-less this last Christmas ...as we used the cash to get caught up on our overpriced house and redo the mortgage, I'm going all out...and this ought to hold her for a few years...

Elle

Post by Elle » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:48 am

What a great birthday score. I am sure she will be very pleased to get all of the things she has wanted in one go. AND, you won't have to fear her stealing your Aloha.

I went back to Mirage Softgel last night to see if the hot (sauna like) dry nose was related to environment or mask and I was not nearly as dry with the Softgel.

One thing I am very curious about is why my pressure needs were so much less with the Aloha than the Softgel? I stay around 12 or 13 with the softgel and noticed with the two nights using the Aloha that my pressure stayed around 9.

All of the variations are fascinating to me. I wish I understood what they all mean so I could attain 'ideal'.

I will go back to the Aloha again tonight. I was noticing the pressure of the headgear from the softgel and would have switched back to Aloha in the middle of the night if not for having to adjust the S9 back to "pillows".

I hope more Aloha users will report reviews and quirks with this new mask.

NateS

Post by NateS » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Although my DME had never heard of it, he was glad to order it in for me and I picked it up yesterday and will try it for the first time tonight, as an alternative to my Swift FX with Bella Loops. I am lucky to have such a "good guy" as a DME. I have a lot of respect for him. He thanked me for telling him about the Aloha well in advance of any notice from his supplier, and after we unboxed it and took a look at it together, he said he had some other patients in mind that he might want to recommend it to.

Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

Beth T.

Post by Beth T. » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:00 pm

Do you have to have a prescription to buy a mask from CPAP.com?
I use a nasal mask and just picked up a FFM to try as my doctors office let me try a new one even though it has been 2 months. I guess the Aloha might not work well as my main problem right now is my mouth opening in the night. Chin strap won't stop it and I have tried a bandaid to seal my mouth. Ir works pretty well but I don't like it. I don't mouth breathe at all otherwise and am not congested so it is frustrating... Anyway I liked the posts about the Aloha and wanted to try it.
I have been using CPAP faithfully for 2 months. Working pretty well - AHI always under 5 and usually lower. Feeling more rested. Just wondering if I can buy directly without a script. thanks!

Elle

Post by Elle » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Yes. You need a prescription. Can you scan it into your computer and email it?

NateS

Post by NateS » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Beth T. wrote:… my main problem right now is my mouth opening in the night. Chin strap won't stop it …
For different people, some makes and models of chinstraps work better than others. I started out with a simple ResMed Chinstrap, which reduced my leaks somewhat, when it stayed in place, but it only kept my mouth closed when the portion over the head stayed at exactly 180 degrees from my chin. It was impossible to keep it from slipping around on the top of my head, which kept loosening the part holding my lower jaw up.

I concluded I needed a chinstrap which would stay in place on the top of my head. I think there are several good models with two straps over the top of the head, instead of one, to keep it in place.

I wound up with a Ruby Chinstrap, sized to fit, nonadjustable, which slips over the top of my head in one piece. It really does the job for me and always stays in place. There are other models shown on cpap.com, Sleep Restfully, etc. I have read here of many folks having success with the papcap too. IMO the key is to get one that fits properly and can't slide around.

The right one may eliminate your mouth breathing and enable you to use a nasal pillow mask like the Swift FX, the Aloha, etc.

Regards, Nate

Beth T.

Post by Beth T. » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks for the info. I will look for a different chinstrap. Tbe one I have now is Breatherite or something like that. has 2 straps.
As far as the prescription, I don't have it. I'd have to get ir from my doctor, not a problem I'm sure.
Thanks again!

Elle

Post by Elle » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:50 am

3:47am and I am still awake. I am up putting together my Mirage Softgel because the Aloha is so dry that it feels and even smells like a sauna. I was aware of breathing for the last few hours and it was uncomfortable.

I have my humidity set at 4 so I am not sure what the problem is. I never have dry nostrils with my Softgel so I guess it is from the air blowing directly in. I am determined to find a solution to this because the head gear is so great and I love that the pillows don't move when I turn from side to side.

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:28 am

Elle, I sent you a PM. maybe we can do a trade?

LittleRedTruck

Post by LittleRedTruck » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:11 am

Elle, I know I feel much more air flow with pillows as compared to a FFM. My pillows work great with the S9 humidity set in the auto mode. I have temp set at 81. I used to suffer with dry nose prior to this great humidy control system. Never any rain out either. Looking at pictures it sort of appears the upper lips of mouth may be covered with Aloha . I'm wondering if that area is comfortable? Thanks, Dan

NateS

Post by NateS » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:39 am

First night with the Aloha - great fit; stayed in place perfectly except once when weight of the long tubing pulled it out on a right turn, so I re-hung it.

Very low leak rate and great low AHI. Very comfortable.

With my Bella, I always put my Ruby chinstrap on top, but with the Aloha it worked better to put the Ruby on first.

I put my Bella in the nightstand drawer before getting the Aloha out - didn't want to break her heart , as she's been so sweet and good to me too.

But Aloha gave me one of the lowest leak rates I've ever had - over a 3 month period.

Nate

Elle

Post by Elle » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:32 pm

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I got rid of my Swift FX because I absolutely knew it wouldn't work but this one is different. It is too nice a mask to give up yet. Redtruck. I am going to find a way to do the auto humidity after I try it at 5 (as suggested by my go to gal) and then figure out the auto.

It is so nice to have such a great group of helpful people who know exactly what is going on when you struggle. In my long chats with my sister about this stuff she just doesn't get it and I feel bad for talking to her about this stuff. The DME will just shrug.

Thank you again. I am glad to hear so many people are having success with the mask.