Heavy feeling in chest

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
torontoCPAPguy

Re: Heavy feeling in chest

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:48 am

Elle wrote:"Does anyone wish to categorically guarantee that it is simply muscular strain and not anything else?"

I'm not sure if that question is sarcasm since most know that it can't be answered. I think what happens here is that people related their similar experiences. That is what the forum is about.
I apologize if the remark seems to be sarcasm; that was not my intention. My intention was to get across in one simple sentence the fact that we have all had muscle aches and pains (Lord knows I do on a regular basis) but that reading all of the accounts should in no way give anyone a feeling of comfort with regards to chest pressure or pain. It is worthy of immediate investigation if even only at your GP's office. It is worthy of an ECG in a clinic. Heart issues are, I can assure you from personal experience, a very complex and insidious thing. Only the proper examination and equipment can rule out (by percentage) heart issue versus muscular issue.

Again, if it seemed sarcastic, that was not my intent. This board is absolutely wonderful and without same I would not have conquered my OSA nor would I have educated myself with regards to all things OSA related.

Murray

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

ems

Post by ems » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:53 am

torontoCPAPguy wrote:Again, if it seemed sarcastic, that was not my intent. This board is absolutely wonderful and without same I would not have conquered my OSA nor would I have educated myself with regards to all things OSA related.

Murray
Sometimes things get misinterpreted on a message board. The point is that the OP get the point!
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:08 am

Just as a matter of interest....

I have had both. Simply changing position or taking a drink of water (if it is reflux related) will change what may appear to be a muscular related pressure.

I have also had HEART related issues that caused pressure (I have/had Atrial Fibrillation which is closely related to OSA) and taking the safe route dialled 911 and went to the hospital when the EMT's arrived. It turns out that my enzymes that indicate myocardial infarction were up just a tad. I was having a heart attack. Albeit a very minor one (if you can even suggest that any MI is 'mild'.). I was released after about 24 hours with a bottle of nitro spray. Sic.

As it turns out, it was aFib acting up and caused what appeared to be pressure. The enzymes ... inconclusive. Many tests later the conclusion was my heart is healthy, my arteries are about as clear as can be for a 60 year old male leading a relatively sedentary lifestyle (i.e. I don't go to the gym), etc. And I needed treatment for Atrial Fibrillation.

I have been treated successfully for aFib since December with TIKOSYN and guess what? No more chest pressure excepting when my aFib is trying to make a breakthrough; at which point I take a wee bit of extra Metoprolol if my rate is higher than normal and load myself with Potassium (Low Sodium V8 is great) and the 'episode' is generally gone within about 30 minutes. Prior to treatment? I had pressure or a heavy chest on and off and usually during the night. And now.... zip. No chest pressure or heaviness. No shortness of breath. No excess fatigue unless I have overdone it during the day. All I can say is thank Goodness I and my darling wife advocated for a full array of tests that disclosed the real reason for my 'pressure'. It came and went.

So, hearing of a 'heavy chest' or 'pressure' sets of alarm bells for me. The above is a small fraction of MY story but based on experience I would not even dream of suggesting anything other than heading to my GP for some tests.

Again, I don't think that any of us should diagnose over the forum or give reassurance unless we are sure of what we are dealing with. It is one thing to discuss pressures, masks, machines, our OSA experience, etc. But I, for one, would like the OP to know that ANY chest pressure or radiating pains need to be checked out pronto. Again, I was simply trying to make my point in one line.

OSA can lead to shallow breathing during REM sleep and low SpO2. Low SpO2 will lead to a spike in BP, a rapid heartrate and a good chance of a clot or plaque breaking off and depending on where it winds up (if anywhere) a stroke, a heart attack, a deep vein thrombosis in the extremeties or lungs, etc. Monitoring of SpO2 with a relatively inexpensive recording oxymeter is a good investment of time and effort.

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:13 am

This happened to me last summer when I was trying apap. My pressures were going up near 20 cm which, at first, gave me a strange feeling in my chest.

I called my GP, who said to go to the emergency room for a full cardiac workup, which I did. If you say "chest pain," they will run all of the standard tests to check for cardiac issues.

They were particularly interested in whether I had other symptoms of heart attack: sweating, numbness in limbs, sharp pain in chest, the feeling that someone was actually sitting on your chest pressing down, shortness of breath, etc.

The only symptom I had was a strange feeling in my chest that could not actually be described as "pain."

I did a stress test a few days after my ER visit and was given a clean (cardiac) bill of health.

DISCLAIMER: The above is an account of my own personal experience and should not be interpreted by anyone as advice or diagnosis of his or her own condition.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:32 am

It may or may not be the cpap but until you visit your doctor to rule out lung/heart problems I wouldn't count on that being the problem!!! Go to the doctor. I'd hate to hear you had a heart attack that could have been treated if discovered earlier.
Silverqueen1964 wrote:How long before I get use to the cpack my chest feels like it's starving for air and the cpack is working

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:04 pm

RandyJ wrote:This happened to me last summer when I was trying apap. My pressures were going up near 20 cm which, at first, gave me a strange feeling in my chest.

I called my GP, who said to go to the emergency room for a full cardiac workup, which I did. If you say "chest pain," they will run all of the standard tests to check for cardiac issues.

They were particularly interested in whether I had other symptoms of heart attack: sweating, numbness in limbs, sharp pain in chest, the feeling that someone was actually sitting on your chest pressing down, shortness of breath, etc.

The only symptom I had was a strange feeling in my chest that could not actually be described as "pain."

I did a stress test a few days after my ER visit and was given a clean (cardiac) bill of health.

DISCLAIMER: The above is an account of my own personal experience and should not be interpreted by anyone as advice or diagnosis of his or her own condition.
By the same token, I had simply 'chest pressure' and was whisked to the hospital by ambulance with lights and siren and straight into examination. Blood taken and showed I had indeed suffered some sort of cardiac event as my enzyme indicator was slightly elevated. Further tests showed no damage, open arteries and a relatively healthy heart excepting some expansion of the left atrium due to Atrial Fibrillation (OSA related perhaps). No pain radiating down my arm, etc., just an almost gentle pressure in my chest. It was indeed a heart issue.

That's why I say... if in doubt, check it out!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Sarcasm, is good, those that notice it will take offense or comment, those that don't wouldn't pay attention anyway, they would just keep their heads buried in the sand or keep treading in De-Nile. anyway. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire