Opinions on gel cushion nasal masks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
teasterday

Opinions on gel cushion nasal masks?

Post by teasterday » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:15 pm

I am a 6 month user so I'm still pretty new to this. A little history...I started with a Resmed Mirage Quattro full face mask and could not get the leaks to stop. Then I went to the same mask in a smaller size. The only way I could get the leaks to stop was to put it so tight it hurt my cheek bones. Next was a Resmed Ultra Mirage nonvented mask (this was the type used in my sleep study). It was a little easier to get the leaks to stop but I still found it hurt my face around the cheekbones.

Taking the advice of others here I used the trial program. I tried a Resmed Mirage Softgel nasal mask. This is the most comfortable mask I have tried so far. I breathe through my nose when I sleep so a nasal mask is no problem. I have used it since December and I am averaging 4 hours a night with it. My AHI went from 74 with no mask to 4 with a mask. I am pretty happy with it but I need/want to be able to use it all night. I find that after about 4 hours it begins putting too much pressure on my upper lip and also tends to start leaking a little.

I have used the same headgear this entire time so the velcro is wearing out. After 3 months of using this mask I am probably due for a new seal. Before ordering new supplies I wanted to see if anyone has tried this mask vs. other nasal gel masks or even the pillow style masks and get their opinion. Like I said, I would like to sleep all night with my mask and I am just unsure if I should get the new supplies and give it more time with this one or give another brand a try. Thanks for any input to help me decide.

Elle

Re: Opinions on gel cushion nasal masks?

Post by Elle » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:40 pm

I use the mirage softgel and sleep from 8-9 hours but I think I would with any mask. I find that it starts to leak near the morning and I just pull it out to adjust it on my face again. It would probably be better if I tightened it when it started to leak (I have read here that our facial muscles tend to relax as the night goes on) but I am too sleepy.

I have had trouble with nasal pillows because of sores and the swift fx just rode up over my head but many people love those.

Did you sleep longer than 4 hours before this mask or before cpap?

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:03 pm

This only my opinion but I don't really like gel masks. I find they are heavy and hard to stop leaks (it should be because of the shape of my face). The best nasal mask I found is the Activa because of the bellows effect of the cushion. You use that mask with the straps lose, it's the pressure which inflates the cushion and then you can move because the mask is able to twist a bit without leaking. That's the first mask I tried and the best for me that sleeps in all the possible positions

After that I tried the nasal cushions and I found the Swift FX very comfortable and what I use today it's the Headrest deconstructed because the cushion last for ever, although it's noisy. There is nothing perfect in this life

I'm that kind of people that feels EVERYTHING . My first try to the nasal pillows was a fail, I tried the Swift LT and I found the pressure on the sinuses was unbearable, not able to sleep more than 2 hours with that mask. But the FX for an estrange reason it's not bad.

At the end of all it's a matter of trying and see what is best for our shape of face and feelings, not easy answer I wish it was easy. You will see there is people whom like the gel a lot.

sleepyb

Post by sleepyb » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:25 pm

The gel cushion masks weren't for me. They leaked and pressed wrong on my nose. The only nasal mask I can wear is the Easy Life from Resperonics, but I can't wear it every night or the bridge of my nose gets sore so I swap it out with the FX and when I'm stuffed up use the Liberty. I haven't tried the Activa, sounds like a similar mask type to the Easy Life.
One of the problems I have with the easy life and the liberty masks is that they start to leak in the middle of the night.
My solution for that is If I start getting leaks in the middle of the night I swap the mask with a different type and can sleep out the rest of the night w/o leaks. Like Rosacer suggested, it is probably my face relaxing and forming to the mask that is causing the leaks and changing to a different type of mask changes the pressure points. Of course I didn't get a bunch of masks as once, but over the last 2 years (this month) I've been able to aquire a few that work pretty well. The latest was the Bella straps for my FX. (Yes they are for women but they are different and worth a try.
I guess what I'm getting at is try a variety when you can because every face is a little different and what works for me might not work for you, and swapping masks can help with leaks in the middle of the night.

teasterday

Post by teasterday » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Last night I woke up after just an hour and the mask was bothering me. Usually I would take it off and go back to sleep. Last night I got up and got a drink and got myself awake enough to put it back on. To my surprise I slept 6 more hours. I have had decent success with this mask I think I just need to get myself more disciplined. If I wake up during the night then I need to make sure I get it back on.

After hearing some pros and cons from all of you I have decided to stick with the gel mask since I have had some success. I am leary of the nasal pillow style and the gel mask seals pretty well and the weight doesn't bother me. I guess that is why there are so many choices because there is nothing standard about sleep apnea or the devices.

It is nice to have a place to come to for advice and to share experiences. It really helps making decisions easier. Thanks again everyone. Hopefully tonight goes as well as last night!

teasterday

Post by teasterday » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Elle...I forgot to answer you. I always slept all night before using a mask. Now I find myself waking up after 3 or 4 hours with either leaks or it gets uncomfortable. I don't want to disturb my sleep too much so I just take it off and go back to sleep. Last night I took it off for a few minutes and made myself put it back on. After 7 hours using it last night I found I got more rest even though I was up for 5 minutes taking a break. I think it will just come down to discipline now. Thanks again!

Elle

Post by Elle » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:18 pm

I'm glad to hear you had a good sleep. It is frustrating to get this stuff right and even when we think we have nailed it down we will have a bad night. I try to remember there are those bad nights for non cpap users too so I guess we have to just be grateful when we find a mask that works most of the time.

jilliansue

Post by jilliansue » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:14 pm

I use the Resmed Softgel mask and I love it. I sometimes have to adjust the forehead pad some in order to get the right balance between pressure on the upper teeth and leaks. Sometimes, too, before going to bed, I loosen all the straps and start over adjusting them. I have also found that keeping cushion very clean helps with the seal and helps prevent leaks. For some reason, at 57, I still have oily skin!!

I have been at this for 1.5 years. At first I used the Swift FX, a nasal pillows mask. Although it was more comfortable than I had thought any mask would be (very little on the face and head), I found that the air blowing directly into my nostrils bothered me sometimes.

I have also used the Repironics Comfortgel, and it is a bit heavier than the Resmed Softgel. Someone on here mentioned the Resmed Activa mask. The Activa cushion fits onto the Softgel mask frame, too, so you could interchange them. I have not tried the Activa yet, but probably will at some point.

I have yet to find a full face mask that works for me. I have to use a chinstrap with the nasal masks, but so far, that is what has worked best for me.

Glad you got some good sleep!

Jill

Gaga58

Post by Gaga58 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:06 am

Teaster...I'm a little over 6 months in and I started out using the Comfort gel blue...thought it was great as it didn't bother me, other than marks on the face! However, I have since tried the Swift Fx for Her and the Sleepweaver...love them both way more than the prior. The Swift is so non-invasive and (for me) can barely tell it's there. The Sleepweaver I absolutely LOVE, very soft and comfortable...it does tend to leak around the eyes which results in a higher leak line, but I can maintain pretty good numbers with it (other than leak line which still isn't that bad) and actually sleep more sound using it. Good luck to you in finding your perfect fit!

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:53 am

This is probably contrary to what you are asking but have you thought of the Resmed Swift FX Nasal Pillows? Very Light and unobtrusive and if you have no difficulty with mouth breathing, these might be an even better fit than what you are currently using. I had a nasal mask, not sure what kind any more and tried to make it work for 3 weeks but I just couldn't get it to work for me, not because of leaks so much but because I'm claustophobic. I was almost ready to give up on cpap even though I knew that the results could be fatal. I felt worse after 3 weeks on cpap then I ever did pre cpap. So in desperation, I went to dme and she says, I have just the solution for you and introduced me to the forerunner of the swift fx. Never had a problem again. Even though your issue isn't claustophobia, nasal pillows just might be the ticket since they are the least invasive of all masks.
teasterday wrote:I am a 6 month user so I'm still pretty new to this. ... Like I said, I would like to sleep all night with my mask and I am just unsure if I should get the new supplies and give it more time with this one or give another brand a try. Thanks for any input to help me decide.