fisher and paykel ffm users

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
drdrew

fisher and paykel ffm users

Post by drdrew » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:58 am

so i have had a 431 and 432, ended up not liking the foam insert so much...anyway...my issues with it are small but there. does anyone else have issues with the terrible hissing noise that the non rebreather valve makes? last night i taped it shut....and it quieted down....now if i cough or something it blasts the mask off my face so its just an extra release valve i would say....but wondering if anyone else modded it in any way to quiet it down?

also, is the forma essentially the same thing or are there actual differences? one other spot is that it is a little tight on the bridge of my nose and i was wondering if the forma gives any additional space?

anyway thanks.

nanwilson

Re: fisher and paykel ffm users

Post by nanwilson » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:53 am

drdrew wrote:so i have had a 431 and 432, ended up not liking the foam insert so much...anyway...my issues with it are small but there. does anyone else have issues with the terrible hissing noise that the non rebreather valve makes? last night i taped it shut....and it quieted down....now if i cough or something it blasts the mask off my face so its just an extra release valve i would say....but wondering if anyone else modded it in any way to quiet it down?

also, is the forma essentially the same thing or are there actual differences? one other spot is that it is a little tight on the bridge of my nose and i was wondering if the forma gives any additional space?

anyway thanks.
Do you realize that in a power outage you would be rebreathing your own air............no one plugs up their exhalation port they are there to aid in such a situation..
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

drdrew

Post by drdrew » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:53 am

yah i was concerned about that...lol. i didnt sleep with it taped up, i switched masks but was fiddling with the tape to quiet it down and it worked...so thats why i am looking for any other work arounds....

there are still tiny holes in the front, but probably not enough 02 coming through there....

i need to check again but it seemed like the valves actually only allow air to GO OUT....not come in....at any rate they are noisy as heck and its a problem....

avi123

Post by avi123 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:01 pm

drdrew wrote:so i have had a 431 and 432, ended up not liking the foam insert so much...anyway...my issues with it are small but there. does anyone else have issues with the terrible hissing noise that the non rebreather valve makes? last night i taped it shut....and it quieted down....now if i cough or something it blasts the mask off my face so its just an extra release valve i would say....but wondering if anyone else modded it in any way to quiet it down?

anyway thanks.

I use the 431 and 432, but get better leak sealing with 431. Forma is like 432 with the foam under the Silicone cushion but it has a forehead adjustable support.
The Silicone cushion (only) fits both 431& 432. I found the 431 (the one with no foam) to be very size sensitive to fit over my jaws with my dentures mounted.

I have found the glider hook too weak to hold the headgear strap tension. So I thread the headgear strap inside the glider hook's loop.

As to the nonrebreathing valve, when I sneezed inside the mask it rendered the valve inoperative. The thin flappers inside were pushed thru the flappers seats to the other side. So I fixed it with a pair of tweezers to return those flappers to the correct side and it now works fine. When I put the mask on while the CPAP is off I then hear the valve rattling (from my breathing) But as soon as I turn the CPAP switch to ON the rattling stops. There is NO hissing either.

About the nose bridge I use the following product with great satisfaction:

http://www.amazon.com/Gecko-Nasal-Pad-L ... B004P5BDWU

In a few weeks I am going to try Resmed's Mirage FF, if it also has a chin support as those of F & P

Last edited by avi123 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:30 am

I had a big problem with the valves on my F&P 431 masks. Same thing -- hissing like crazy from the valve. Drove me insane.

My DME contacted F&P (they wouldn't discuss it with me) and they said they had no issues with the valves. We reported that every valve I had (from every mask I had) did the same thing -- hissed like crazy. My DME reported that taping up ONE hole (not both -- don't do that) helped the noise some and indicated some problem.

Without admitting any problem, F&P agreed to replace all my valves, which they did. I had ONE, sent them all my others and they sent my DME new ones.

So far (cross fingers and toes) the new ones are fine. Whatever the problem is, it's NOT being reported to F&P enough (so they say) to warrant any serious action.

I'm betting that many people don't realize it's NOT supposed to make that much noise and either change masks or just put up with it.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 am

All F&P FFM's have the same part number non-rebreathing valve.
A year ago, I had one replaced, the replacement was not as bad -- but bad too. It sometime helps if I hold my finger on the valve holes for a few minutes; then, when I let go the valve snaps shut.

But that doesn't always works - and left me with a bad impression of F&P's quality control.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Eureka

Post by Eureka » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:12 am

Sorry to hear about the valve issue with the 431. I guess I'm a lucky one -- no problems (yet). I really like that mask -- got a new one for replacement but still using my old one. It just works. Hope you get the issue resolved.
CLW

drdrew

Post by drdrew » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:13 am

so do we think taping up one of the valve holes is safe? i tried it and it does seem to reduce the noise pretty well!

avi123

Post by avi123 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:02 am

drdrew wrote:so do we think taping up one of the valve holes is safe? i tried it and it does seem to reduce the noise pretty well!
There is no way that I would tape one of the two fresh air supply holes. I would pay $32 and buy a new elbow assy including the valve:

http://www.cpapxchange.com/400HC203-elb ... -mask.html

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

lady of the lake

Post by lady of the lake » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:07 am

Hello all,
I have been CPAP compliant for about 5 years. I have used the Flexifit 431 and 432 for most of the time. It is very comfortable. I have noticed the rebreathing valve has been getting defective. I will try the tweezer trick. However the leak is most annoying and is akin to having a wind tunnel near your chin.... certainly not a good thing ... more air going out to your neck than air going into your face area. It does sound like a design flaw that Fisher Paykel is not admitting to. Will get back to you all later about the tweezer trick... or may resort to the electrical tape.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Turtleneck PJ's

kong

Post by kong » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:59 pm

I have the same problem. I'd be interested to know of any other solutions people have used.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:02 pm

I see my posts above from some time ago. Yes, that anti rebreather valve can cause problems in the 431, 432, and Forma which is like the 432 with the foam under the Silicone, but also has a forehead support which 431, 432, don't have. That valve could stick if it gets wet from the air hose getting a "rain-out". In such a case it makes clicking sounds. I take it apart and dry it with a hair dryer (blower). If it continues clicking it might be from water in the air hose or water on the bottom of the Dehumidifier. The valve could also stick or get non operational from sneezing or coughing inside the mask. Then I use a tweezers to push those leaves inside to the other side.

Lately, I started to question these F&P masks because I get too much leaks while using them. I plan to to try:

This nasal mask:

add http here ://www.cpapsupplyusa.com/6160x-ResMed-Mira ... dgear.aspx

And this chin strap OVER the mask's straps:

add http here ://www.cpap-experts.com/cpap-chin-straps/r ... ap-premium

bipapper

Post by bipapper » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:27 am

I'm just about to get the flexfit 431....are you saying I shouldn't?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:15 am

Even though the 431 comes with all three sizes, make sure you can return it.
Since it goes below the chin, it fits specific faces-not others (hubby's--not mine)
My 432 fits a bit better, but I wish the foam were either a little smaller, softer, or memory foam,
as it is a bit too snug with it and not enough without. . .
I also wish more headgear were vertically adjustable or came in a smaller size for us with petite melons.