Nostril leak with Liberty mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
clouse123

Nostril leak with Liberty mask

Post by clouse123 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:55 am

I've been lurking here for a while and appreciate all the advice and encouragement provided. First post as a new CPAP user. I've been with the machine and a few different masks for about five weeks. Definite mouth breather, so full face mask for me. Experienced extremely sore bridge of nose, so now I have the ResMed Liberty mask that worked well for a short time, but now I can't seem to keep a seal in either nostril. After a couple hours, one or both of the nasal cushions works free of my nostril. I've changed sizes from medium to large without any difference. I'm thinking there should be a way to "adhere" the pillows to the nose. If I can figure that out, I'll be happy. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Pugsy

Re: Nostril leak with Liberty mask

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:28 am

Take a look at Roosters Hyrid mask modification using tights to help secure the nasal pillows.
Different mask but principle is the same.
down near the bottom of the page....tights used to help secure the nasal pillows.
wiki/index.php/Hybrid_Mask_Modifications

Also...the nasal pillows do get tired and may need to be replaced. So if a good washing and the tights don't help...time for new ones.
Pillow life will vary from person to person. Different washing schedules or routine...different body oil accumulation...different preferences in general.
This happens with all the nasal pillow masks. Some of us get months of use and some get just a few weeks of use.
There is a recent thread about bringing new life to nasal pillows by boiling..on the front page of the forum I think. Sure wouldn't hurt to try if the nasal pillows seem to be headed for the trash can anyway. I get months of use..and I didn't think to try boiling when I recently trashed the old nasal pillows so I can't comment. Next time....I will boil and see what happens.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

clouse123

Post by clouse123 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Thanks for the tip. Used a knee-high stocking wrapped around my nose and tied it in the back of my head. Problem solved.

Eureka

Post by Eureka » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Yea!! Glad you found the help you need to get the mask working. This forum is awesome.
I tried the Liberty that I got when I bought a used cpap machine for a backup. It wasn't my size but I tried it and was frustrated. I was due for a new mask, so I got the Hybrid. Thanks to Rooster's post, I am about to get it worked out. Hope you continue to have success with your mask. And keep "lurking" on the forum-- and who knows -- you might have some valuable experience to share with others.

soundersfootballclub

Post by soundersfootballclub » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:46 pm

I have to rotate the pillows out of the recommended spot to get a good fit.