BBC NEWS: The myth of the eight-hour sleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tattooyu

BBC NEWS: The myth of the eight-hour sleep

Post by tattooyu » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:18 am

I thought you might find this interesting. It talks about the possibility of us naturally needing two four-hour sleep periods, with a 1-2 hour waking period in between.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783
Sleep well and live better!

BlackSpinner

Re: BBC NEWS: The myth of the eight-hour sleep

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:46 am

But how does that compare to the history of the rest of the world?
Not everybody lived in Europe and European history is not the end all and be all of life.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Gazhacks

Post by Gazhacks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:57 am

Thats all well and good but in the 21st century we dont get 8 hours sleep and if you do then your very lucky. When Im working, I get around 4 hours a day, as I care for my partner and then do a 9 hour nightshift. I dont have time to sleep. A lot of people in this day and age run on a 24 hour clock and sleep at all different times. Night and day will soon blend into one as society takes up more of our rest time. Im constantly got at when its my time to go to the clinic as my sleep is very fragmented. Im told I must get a proper nights sleep which I reply am I to leave my partner on the floor is she falls?

The story is a good look back at history but into todays society its just seems like the goverments push to get more working hours out of us

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:03 pm

I'm just the messenger. I never said I agreed with the article. Just found it interesting.
Sleep well and live better!

Sleep2Die4

Post by Sleep2Die4 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:56 pm

Gazhacks wrote: its just seems like the goverments push to get more working hours out of us
I am interested to know what evidence you see of this.

Or does the wink mean you weren't serious? (Sorry I have spent very little time understanding forums.)

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:12 pm

I read the article and I found it interesting also. What I got from the article was that sleep patterns are not and have not always been straight 8 hours and if we don't happen to have the straight 8 hour pattern, it's OK and not to obsess about it.

"Don Quixote followed nature, and being satisfied with his first sleep, did not solicit more. As for Sancho, he never wanted a second, for the first lasted him from night to morning." Miguel Cervantes, Don Quixote (1615)

The Tiv tribe in Nigeria employ the terms "first sleep" and "second sleep" to refer to specific periods of the night.

hades161

Post by hades161 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:33 pm

Very Interesting.

I have had for the past year or more, times where I would fall into this pattern they describe. I find through it messes with my data tracking on my machine and have actively tried to stop it and tough out the "first sleep" period they talk about. It also drives my GF nuts =P

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus

midgiedbales@cox.net

Post by midgiedbales@cox.net » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:39 pm

I found this interesting because I also sleep in fragments, I get a good 4 to 5 hours, wake up, then have to lay down anywhere from a few hours later, to the middle of the day. I never get in 6 or more hours at a time, so this article made me feel better about waking up at 3 every morning, and knowing it is something a lot of people do, it is how evewr very hard for people who have to put long work hours in, they usually have to take a nap when they get home, as I can catch sleep when ever I feel the need, very interesting and helpful.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:39 pm

When I wake up, I take a drink of water and turn off the radio.
Then I zonk out for the rest of the night.

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:46 pm

Really. I truly doubt there are enough writings available to conclude that the described sleep segments were the norm. Not saying its possible, I just kind of doubt it. There are innumerable studies that say 7 to 8 hours a night are needed although again, it isn't specified how those 7 to 8 hours of sleep should be completed. All I know, is that when I sleep in segments, I feel like I've been run over by a Mack truck the next morning.
tattooyu wrote:I thought you might find this interesting. It talks about the possibility of us naturally needing two four-hour sleep periods, with a 1-2 hour waking period in between.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Maxie wrote:... The Tiv tribe in Nigeria employ the terms "first sleep" and "second sleep" to refer to specific periods of the night. ...
This was also a fairly common term found used throughout the western world until the advent of the industrial revolution.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

MDALE

Post by MDALE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Many of the objections being raised here are answered in the article. Read a bit more closely.

I find the idea intriguing. We should not feel anxious if we awaken in the middle of the night. It may well be normal and not an indication of a ruined night's sleep.

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:17 pm

All I know is I never get more than 3-5 hours of restless sleep and I would love to experience sleeping 6-8 hours of sleep per night. Fragmented sleep makes me feel like I ache from the flu all the time, and a full time job is very hard.

napstress

Post by napstress » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:28 pm

The article says, "Countless prayer manuals from the late 15th Century offered special prayers for the hours in between sleeps."

My sleep pattern is exactly as the article describes. If those people were anything like I am, they were praying to be delivered from obsessive worry!
Epworth Sleepiness Scale: 14
Diagnostic study: overall AHI: 0.2 events/hour; overall RDI: 45 events/hour
Titration study: AHI: 6.1; RDI: 27; CPAP pressures: 5-8cm

Not-tired behind my eyes and with a clear, cool head!

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:56 pm

Tattooyu, look at your little man!!! Feels like we're watching him grow up. Parents of young children certainly don't get 8 straight hours of sleep, do they?!