Numbness in fourth, fifth fingers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DreamDiver

Re: Numbness in fourth, fifth fingers

Post by DreamDiver » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:50 pm

JimW wrote:If you're beginning to have problems of this sort, look into what you need to do to manage it as soon as possible; management may include many of the suggestions already made by others.
I've been elevating my elbows on pillows when I'm on my back. That seems to help. It doesn't happen on my side or belly. Definitely, I'll be chatting with the GP soon for further suggestions.

Thanks, JimW.

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:54 pm

Like some others, it sounds like ulner nerve bundle to me also. I have cubital tunnel syndrome and the neurologist said he would detach the muscle at the elbow, slip the bundle into the correct grove and reattach the muscle. Or, I can give it a rest and see what happens. A couple years later and the numbness has improved but I still have movement and strength, so I'll wait a little longer.

I don't know about others, but this elbow has always been ultra sensitive to the funny bone thing. Even a little bump in the wrong spot and it fires off.
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

mindy

Post by mindy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:53 am

From the same site as above, here's one similar to what I use - they're called "cock-up wrist splint" because there's a rigid part that falls on the palm and keeps the hand in the "neutral" position and it can't flop over.

http://www.ncmedical.com/item_80.html

Mine have velcro straps to tighten them.

Yep - those EMG tests are lovely - they're the ones I had and twice was definitely enough!

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

Post by Guest » Sat May 21, 2011 4:28 pm

DreamDiver wrote:Sometimes, sleeping on my back, my pinkies and ring-fingers get numb on both hands. I'll switch to sleeping on my side, or sometimes in the middle of the night find myself with both arms up above my head on the pillows in an unconscious effort to stop the numbness. Anyone else have this happen?
Do you still have this issue or was it diagnosed?
I have been using CPAP for about 7 months, heavy computer user same stptoms Pinky and index finger on both hands are numb when I wake, takes awhile to come back.

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Sat May 21, 2011 5:55 pm

I join in with the opinion that it's ulnar-related....it happens to me too but it has happened long before xpap therapy. A good chiropractor could be very helpful, as well as a good massage therapist. The chiorpractor I go to has a LMT in the office and will often call her in for focused work for a short time. I have a lot of faith in PT as well.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sat May 21, 2011 7:21 pm

Guest wrote:
DreamDiver wrote:Sometimes, sleeping on my back, my pinkies and ring-fingers get numb on both hands. I'll switch to sleeping on my side, or sometimes in the middle of the night find myself with both arms up above my head on the pillows in an unconscious effort to stop the numbness. Anyone else have this happen?
Do you still have this issue or was it diagnosed?
I have been using CPAP for about 7 months, heavy computer user same stptoms Pinky and index finger on both hands are numb when I wake, takes awhile to come back.
This has, amazingly, resolved for the most part. There may be an ulnar component, but first and foremost for me, it seems to have begun with the gut. The below may be too much information, but maybe it will help someone.

My doc put me on this protocol:
Vitacost's 'Multi Digestive Enzymes with Pancreatin 10x' *
---- 4 caps, 2 times daily, an hour before breakfast and two or more hours after dinner,
'Integrative Therapeutics Pro-flora Concentrate'
---- 2 pearls per day, one at a time an hour before or two hours after food for the first month
---- 1 per per day thereafter
'Integrative Therapeutics Pro-Flora Immune' (with lactoferrin)
---- 1 pill per day an hour before or two hours after food for the first two months, then stop.

I know this all seems counter-intuitive, but consider:

According to my doctor, many of the aches/pains that are associated with fibromyalgia-like symptoms** arise from an imbalance in neurotransmitters - most of which are created in the gut. If the gut is compromised, neurotransmitter production gets out of whack. He said that I could try the expensive prescription drugs that are used to treat fibro pain and get labeled as a fibro patient, or I could try a less brutal, less expensive method by attempting to heal the gut with supportive enzymes and probiotics. If it didn't work, I would be out a few bucks for the supplements, but I wouldn't have 'fibro' stamped on my insurance anywhere***. I figured it couldn't hurt, so I tried it. I'm surprised to find it worked.

Consequently, my AHI has risen .6 points from .6 to 1.2 on average because I'm actually getting a few moments of deeper sleep. At least that's my theory. Fortunately, AHI duration has remained for the most part around 12 seconds on average using this doctor's suggestions.

On my own, I tried taking gaba for a while as well, and then passion flower instead (which helps the body produce gaba naturally). However these only succeeded in making my sleep deeper with longer duration AHI's, going from an average of 12 seconds per AHI to 20 seconds per AHI. It also almost doubled my AHI (2.9). I figured I shouldn't take gaba or passion flower for my own particular instance because of it's detrimental effect on my O2 saturation. It also makes me wonder about whether the gaba could be manifesting actual centrals instead of clear air-way apneas. For those who have gaba deficiency but no problem with clear-airway apneas or central apneas, gaba may be beneficial. Not for me.

So yes, the numbness and tingling in my extremities has all but disappeared. I also feel a bit more clear-headed during the day, but still have headaches upon waking many mornings. It's still not all poppies and roses, but this 'alternative' protocol has worked better for me than other 'standard' methodologies. The doc said his wife's patients (mostly women) who were diagnosed with fibro have had very good results using the above protocol. (Sans gaba - that was my experiment.)

* Actually he suggested a more expensive brand, but these ingredients in this were identical.

** I don't have fibromyalgia. I'm not comfortable using a label for a loose association of symptoms that are not well understood, but generally lumped together merely as something not clearly understood, treatable or curable. I write this not to demean those who validly have the symptoms of fibromyalgia, but rather to prod at professionals who are blindly content to big-pharma band-aid rather than find a cure or heal patients in chronic pain.

*** In my instance, the above protocol was justified by a fecal flora count that showed I had absolutely no beneficial gut bacteria and an overgrowth of a gut fungus and a few detrimental flora. Before starting the enzymes & probiotics, I had to take a couple weeks of olive-leaf extract to clear out the fungus.

Mimmie

Post by Mimmie » Sun May 22, 2011 3:44 am

I have that too. Mine is from fibromyalgia and Rhematoid Arthritis. It is annoying to say the least. Also painful. Worse in my left hand but the right is starting it now. I hope you will be able to find out what is causing your problems.

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Sun May 22, 2011 3:54 am

Dream Diver, how long did it take for you to see an effect from the enzymes and supplements?

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sun May 22, 2011 4:09 am

bayourest wrote:Dream Diver, how long did it take for you to see an effect from the enzymes and supplements?
A couple months. It slowly became less and less until one day, I realized it had resolved.

CPAP lover

Post by CPAP lover » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:14 pm

This symptoms is NOT carpal tunnel I believe. It is something related to the CPAP, maybe the body changes slightly because it is used to apnea sleep. I have it too and have never had it before before CPAP. I am sure it isn't serious though - 'they' would of investigated it properly if it was serious.

Post by Avatar » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:43 pm

I have had a similar problem, though in one arm more than the other. I experienced it mostly when talking on the phone and holding the remote control for the TV, where my arm was bent to less than 90 degrees. I also sometimes had it after sleeping. I started trying to avoid bending my arms sharply (just a little bending was okay) when falling asleep and for extended periods while awake, and the problem gradually went away. I do still get it a little bit if I forget and bend my elbow fairly sharply for an extended period. So I think JimW is on the right track with his post above.

Before I figured this out, I did have an EMG (I think that's what it was called--a series of electrical needles stuck into my arm to see if the muscles would jump as they should) and a nerve conduction test, and both of those tests' results were normal. However, I wasn't experiencing symptoms at the particular time the tests were conducted, and I've heard that some nerve issues don't show up on those tests unless you're actively having the problem when the tests are conducted, in case you're considering having those tests. But of course, listen to your doctor.

Good luck!
Last edited by Avatar on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrBucky

Post by DrBucky » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:10 pm

bayourest wrote:I join in with the opinion that it's ulnar-related....it happens to me too but it has happened long before xpap therapy. A good chiropractor could be very helpful, as well as a good massage therapist. The chiorpractor I go to has a LMT in the office and will often call her in for focused work for a short time. I have a lot of faith in PT as well.
The bilaterally of it and the fact that it is occurring while laying down makes me think something cervical, which is a worse diagnosis than ulnar nerve. Either way get yourself checked out.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Another thought. Are you wearing an oximeter at night? I use mine for random checks but know that it compromises my sleep when I wear it all the time.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi - This is one time I feel pretty sure about jumping in with some info as I used to set up EMG (electromyography) tests for patients, and typed up hundreds of the reports along with other neuro office work for years, and I am so sure the problems are not Cpap related, but quite possibly ulnar and/or cervical (the elbows-off-the-bed trick works for me too) and your doctors could refer you for testing if you want it... but OSA and/or Cpap are not the problem.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:18 pm

Definitely not cpap related since I get it if I rest my elbow on the table when using the computer, when i add a pillow it disappears.

It maybe cpap related indirectly in that with cpap you sleep more deeply and don't bounce around in bed like pre-cpap. Which means it is probably more related to having a crappy mattress then to using cpap.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal