OT: Low Carb eating--What is there to eat?!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RationalEntropy

Re: OT: Low Carb eating--What is there to eat?!

Post by RationalEntropy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:59 am

There have been some good contributions here, so, let's see if I can contribute anything else worthwhile. I'm not sure what regime you are working in (less than 50 grams of carbs, less than 100, or what). If you are aiming for ketosis a stricter diet is needed (prone to vary from person to person, but often I hear less than 50 grams of carbs/day cited), which it sounded like in your initial post, then disregard the part about low glycemic carbs, etc.

In the evening I do reduce carbs very significantly. Generally I will eat something along these lines: whole eggs with some egg whites, protein shake with almond butter (don't knock until tried), chicken breast and vegetables stir fried with walnuts (usually the oil will be olive or grapeseed), Ricotta mixed with cocoa powder and splenda (I've tried in the past, right now not using splenda). Personally I find adding hot sauce, and spices to various things can really increase variety of flavor even with the same base foods. Hot sauce is my go to for MANY foods, it is low on carbs, fats, and is awesome overall.

Also, you may want to checkout PLAIN greek yogurt (you add the flavor). Plain greek yogurt is pretty high in protein low in carbs, pretty low in fat usually. Add flaxseeds, nuts, or something like that, and you will probably be alright (this is difficult, I like mine with actual blueberries).

I usually try, also to keep more omega 3s than omega 6s in my diet, but that can be hard to do (think ground flaxseeds, flaxseed oil, fish, walnuts, grass fed animals (supposedly)). Too bad I like cheese so much (all omega 6's).

Usually I concentrate carbs closer to training, but sometimes will eat them at other times... hahaha, I've got to work on that. I generally brown rice, very little bread, some fruit (mostly bananas, apples, berries), post-exercise one can eat some fruit and protein (varying schools on that one), but if low carb, ground flax seeds and protein.

If only I could break that midnight eating habit. Writing this made me realize that I've deviated somewhat from previous dietary habits. I must return full swing. Also, that Carbalose flour sounds promising, I want to look into that a bit more.

Vader

Post by Vader » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:07 am

I've been low carb since Aug 1, 2011 and I've lost 40 lbs!
I'm not following as strict of a diet as I did the first few months because I've lost all the weight that I wanted to lose. The most important thing for me has been to cut out ALL refined sugar and refined flour.(The only sweetener I use on occasion is Stevia.) If you start consuming those foods the weight will quickly pile back on.

Typically I eat all the low carb/high protein protein foods such as lots of turkey,chicken, cheese, eggs, nuts, pork,(and of course, pork rinds!) and some beef. The tree nuts typically are low in net carbs. Peanuts and cashews are a bit higher. Every now and then I have some Special K Protein Plus cereal with almond milk, which combined is only about 9 grams net carbs. For coffee I use only real cream and Truvia.
Honestly, the weight just melted off of me without hardly trying. I have to admit I snack on a whole lot of nuts on a daily basis. In spite of all the fat I'm consuming, my cholestrol, triglycerides, etc., have never been better.
I feel much better all around, and I couldn't imagine going back to a diet that included grains, refined flour, sugars, etc. You have to be careful of many fruits and fruit juices because of the high sugar content.
Many veggies are high carb, particularly potatoes, sweet potatoes and corn. You have to do your research. I've found that the books by Dr. Michael Eades have been very helpful in that regard.

Slartybartfast is one of the knowledgeable people here on low carb eating.
Perhaps do a search here on some of his low carb posts.

Vader

cpaptex

Post by cpaptex » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:20 pm

Cheese
Lots of Choices

BEEF
POULTRY
FISH
EGGS

Stawberries
Blueberries
Blackberries
Cranberries
(ANY KIND OF BERRY)

Lettuce
Broccili
Cauliflower
Spinach (With Sour Cream & Artichokes) or Cream Cheese yummy!
Green Beans
Celery
Cabbage
Brussle Spouts
Zuccini
Radishes
Onions
Turnips

That's just from my memory.
I'm getting better day by day. Few if any OA Events, mostly CAs and Hyponeas.

I have Interstital Lung Disease

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Low carb diets work because they don't spike your blood sugar. If you're doing a sort of hybrid where you are eating low carb sometimes but not all the time you lose the metabolic advantage that low carbing brings. Your blood sugar does not stay steady and low, your insulin levels spike and you are hungrier.

If you keep the carbs low and mostly from non-starchy veggies and low glycemic fruits (SMALL servings of berries eaten WITH fat and/or protein), your blood sugars will stay low and even. You'll be in ketosis, and hunger almost completely disappears, as long as you are getting sufficient calories and eating an adequate amount of protein and plenty of fat. One of the funniest things about ketosis is the need to eat more when I'm not really hungry--and eating MORE causes me to lose weight!

Protein should be moderate, not high. High protein causes the liver to synthesize glucose (gluconeogenesis) and that has the same effect as carbs.

If you're not trying to lose weight on a low carb diet, increase the fat. You might be able to increase carbs some, but not too much, and they should not come from grains or junk, but from more veggies, some starchy veggies, and a little more fruit.

I'm insulin resistant, not diabetic, but I use a blood glucose meter to track how my body responds to foods. BTW, someone mentioned Dreamfields pasta, but a lot of people (not everyone) who track their blood sugars after eating it have found that it raises their blood sugar just as much as regular pasta. So use it cautiously until you're sure how your body responds.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Janknitz wrote:Low carb diets work because they don't spike your blood sugar. If you're doing a sort of hybrid where you are eating low carb sometimes but not all the time you lose the metabolic advantage that low carbing brings. Your blood sugar does not stay steady and low, your insulin levels spike and you are hungrier.
Oh crap. That's exactly what I'm doing--lowER carb, SOME of the time. I'm not aiming for ketosis. I just thought that the less carbs I consume, the better (for weight)...
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:26 pm

Adding Chia seed to salads or grinding them to add to yogurt or even creating chia seed pudding will fill you up and provide lots of protein. There are numerous websites devoted to chia so Google it. I add about a teaspoon of ground chia to a container of Greek yogurt and I am FULL for many hours. I haven't tried the pudding yet, but I know if I add it to oatmeal in the morning (I know ... CARBS), it really looks like I have tapioca in my oatmeal! It has a very mild flavor so it doesn't alter the taste of things much at all.

EDIT: Here is one site to start with: http://www.mychiaseeds.com/Articles/Top ... efits.html

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Does anyone use a protein powder that has no lactose?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Janknitz wrote:Low carb diets work because they don't spike your blood sugar. If you're doing a sort of hybrid where you are eating low carb sometimes but not all the time you lose the metabolic advantage that low carbing brings. Your blood sugar does not stay steady and low, your insulin levels spike and you are hungrier.
Not necessarily true. If eating 400 calories of low carb food gets digested more slowly and keeps your hunger away for longer than 600 calories of high carb food, you may consume fewer calories in a day. This is even true if you occasionally eat high carbs.

Of course, if you eat two low carb meals a day and pig out on carbs for the third meal, you may end up with more calories than before.

There may be some "metabolic advantages," but I think the big thing about low carb is getting less calories in a day without feeling hungry.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:34 pm

Emilia wrote:Adding Chia seed to salads or grinding them to add to yogurt or even creating chia seed pudding will fill you up and provide lots of protein.
Be careful. You can suffocate if you don't remove the little terracotta animal first.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:39 pm

In low carb eating, you don't want to quit carbs, your body needs carbs. You want complex carbs so fruit is a wonderful snack, good fiber and good for you. I have found veggie chips at walmart that are wonderful, not too high in carbs and great fiber and actually, quite yummy. Satisfies the craving for salty foods without the calories and fat. String cheese is a great go to, particularly if you get the light ones. I will add that I am more low fat, low cal than low carb though. I do avoid white bread, potatoes, rice etc.
SleepingUgly wrote:Admittedly I am not 100% committed to either low carb eating or to spending time figuring out what to eat or to preparing it... That said, I can't look at any more eggs or salads! And I need to have easy, quick snacks or food that I can grab and go. Is there such a thing? It's so easy to grab carbs. They are so grabable. Why are low carb food items so not grabable?! (Or is it grabbable? I know it's not a word, but with the vowel-consonant ending, I think I should be doubling that last consonant, no?)

Thanks for the opportunity to vent. I'm going to look for something to eat. Maybe some celery with almond butter...

Last edited by Kairosgrammy on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:44 pm

REally, crickets. Tell me you didn't say crickets. Euuuuwwww. I think I'd starve sooner than eat crickets or any other insect for that matter.
BoomersRock wrote:How about Pan Fried Crickets? I bet they are low carb!
http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/ ... the-future

Kody

Post by Kody » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:18 pm

Kairosgrammy wrote:REally, crickets. Tell me you didn't say crickets. Euuuuwwww. I think I'd starve sooner than eat crickets or any other insect for that matter.
BoomersRock wrote:How about Pan Fried Crickets? I bet they are low carb!
http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/ ... the-future
Yes I have heard they are packed with protein and very little carbs. SU, you were looking for the perfect grab and go snacks, this maybe just the thing for you. Freeze them in a baggy, then in the morning throw them in your purse and as they thaw, you can snack on them all day. Would I eat them? not a chance. However what I do eat is Tuna in one of those pouches, not the cans. Just open it up and enjoy on the go! If your going to do the Tuna thing though, best to monitor your mercury levels, as too much can be a problem.
Complex Sleep Apnea

drdrew

Post by drdrew » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:29 pm

dont forget to EAT THE FAT.

the fat keeps you satisfied.

real fat is NOT BAD FOR YOU.

you will lose more eating a fat laiden rib eye than a skinless chicken breast....if you do it right.

fat is good.

dont believe the hype.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Evening snack: A cup of low fat (1%) cottage cheese with a dash of vanilla and a packet of stevia sweetener.
Not quite cheesecake, but close enough to quiet the cheesecake cravings. (with protein)
Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with a dash of olive oil and a couple of tablespoons of real bacon crumbles.
I carton of no-sugar-added yogurt and a cup and a quarter of frozen strawvberries. Fills the tank.
Try for four veggies a day, (a small can of V8 can count as one)
I like the little single cans of green beans--open with a ring, nuke on a plate with a bit of bacon.
Have a fresh apple after lunch.
Never skimp on protein--it sates the appetite.
Best cheese: Laughing Cow lite--1.5 grams of fat per wedge--and it's portion controlled.
Yes, fat-free will just leave you hungry. Hungry girl eats without thinking.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Last edited by Uncle_Bob on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.