my 2 month old baby girl

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
scared_mom

my 2 month old baby girl

Post by scared_mom » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:57 pm

i am going through a really tough time right now and im looking for answers. Just 2 weeks ago my daughter stopped breathing... in her sleep. Again today she did it. I was terrified. I took her to the doctors and was told not to worry that it was common for babies to choke....!!!! Sorry but that doesnt sit right with me. If any one has any info i would love to learn more on this. thanks so much christine

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:06 am

I would strongly suggest finding another doctor and getting a second opinion.

Best wishes,

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

scared_mom

Post by scared_mom » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:09 am

thanks for wishing me luck im gonna need it. and yes i plan on switching asap.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:16 am

http://www.apneasupport.org has a forum dedicated to pediatric sleep apnea, you might find more info there.

Can you record you daughter's sleep and choking? It might help the doctors understand what it is you're worried about, and either convince them to set up a sleep test, or convince you that their reassurances are well founded.

One can also buy kind of baby apena alarm the will go on if you baby stops breathing - I don't live in the States and don't know the correct name for it , it's a mat you put beneath the sheet.

O.

Darth Vader Look

Post by Darth Vader Look » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:52 am

You may want to check in at ASIDS (American Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) for more information on this. How are you lying your baby down I believe that the recommendation is for babies to lie down on their backs while sleeping. Well this may seem inappropriate for people with OSA, it is much better for babies. Good luck with your baby and on your doctor search.

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:41 am

Dear scared_mom,

You need to rent an infant apnea monitor to put on your baby while she sleeps. In my community, we have a one-man health care business that specializes in that very thing. You should be able to find someone where you live as well. Run, don't walk, to find this place near you that can rent one to you. Call around this morning, starting with the medical equipment stores. Someone will know where you can get the apnea monitors.

Also, you may want to be aware that you can also buy infant apnea monitors on e-bay, but it would take longer to get the equipment that way, but that would be an option if you can't find some place locally. (No prescription is required to buy these monitors, although e-bay requires the sellers to post prescription warnings for all medical equipment. You can safely ignore it for apnea monitors.)

Regards,
Bill

apneaicinisrael

Post by apneaicinisrael » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:47 am

Hi,
Hope you have found a good Pediatrician. Ask him or her about "reflux", sometimes babies spit up in their sleep and breath it in. Also, babies don't always breathe evenly while they sleep, and that is OK, but if your baby is really stopping her breathing rather than just changing - slower, faster - then this is something to be checked out. Does she get blue around the lips when this happens? This is something the Pediatrician should ask. There are two terms to ask him about, one is "reflux", the other is "ALTE", or "apparent life threatening event". Let us know, please.

AII

k.c.snorzalot

Post by k.c.snorzalot » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:40 pm

My daughter did a bit of that when she was just a couple of months old. Our pediatrician recommended elevating the head of her mattress a bit in case it was attributed to reflux. It seemed to work for us, but I am not advocating that it is what your baby needs. Get to another pediatrician as soon as you can!
Any doctor who doesn't take you seriously about your baby stopping breathing needs to be put out to pasture, and a new pediatrician contacted in my opinion.

scared_mom

thanks to all who are concerned

Post by scared_mom » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:41 pm

i am getting an apnea alert machine from a friend of mine. and am looking for a NEW pediatrician for my daughter. I am scared to death and thank you all for your help and support. thanks again.... christine

Julie

2 mo. old baby girl

Post by Julie » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:29 pm

Hi, I'm a little concerned about the route you're taking with your baby. A used machine from a friend, a new MD when you arrange it, etc. Why aren't you taking her directly to a hospital right away to make sure there are no urgent problems, possibly neurological, or respiratory, that may only incidentally be apnea related? I can't imagine that there's nowhere to go with a baby in distress that won't treat without money up front (if that's the issue).

scared_mom

Post by scared_mom » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:32 pm

first of all yes money is a big issue. and second of all i have seen her pediatrician that says its normal for her to stop breathing thats why im looking for a new one. and third of all i was at the hospital yesterday and was told that he could not do anything that she would have to see a pediatrician. And the machine is like new so i don't understand what the issue in that is.

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:55 pm

scared_mom wrote: . . . i have seen her pediatrician that says its normal for her to stop breathing . . .
I, personally, don't understand what would possess a physician to say such a thing. While it is not uncommon for infants to stop breathing as yours has, it is also not uncommon for infants to die because of that either. The prudent course of action is to put the infant on an apnea monitor as you are doing. Later, you can sort out any about other possibilities, such as Julie as suggested.

SIDS, unfortunately, happens more frequently than most people realize. I had direct exposure to that when I went to pick up my first daughter at her baby-sitters house one afternoon years ago. The baby-sitter was also taking care of an infant that day who died from it.

I wish you and your baby well, Christine.

Regards,
Bill

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:34 am

Scared Mom,

I hope you are able to get help from someone close by. That baby is just too precious to risk any accident with breathing.

It is great to see so many concerned xPAPers here wanting to support you.

As Bill has said, eBay regularly has infant monitors at quite low prices. But whatever you do try to get a good doc to get involved first.

Good luck

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:13 pm

If she stops breating again call 911 to get her to an emergency room quickly. Riding in a private car is tricky-because if you need 911 along the way it can be difficult for the ambulance to find you.

You said you had her at a hospital-call the hospital and see if they have a social services department-talk to a social worker about resources to get the care and equipment your baby needs.

Where do you live? Do you live in an area where you have to travel to see a pediatric pulmonologist or neurologist? Do you have insurance? Are you elegible for any state aid? There are lots of resource for babies with health problems-a good social worker will help you find them.

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:32 pm

Take an infant CPR class.

Have her in the same room with you at night so you can reapond quickly to the monitor.

Ask your pediatrician about having her "sleeping in" as in sleeping with you. Dr Sear's babies' books support it-he has a carefully worded suggestion the babies may tune in to your breathing and synchronize with you reducing apnea. Don't think you'll find any definite answers so you will just have to get the info and make up your mind based on what you feel is right for you.

This could be something she will outgrow-babies' neurological systems that coordinate breathing is immature. Their sleep stages are different as they go through the first 12-18 months of life.