OT: Protein and Weight Gain

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Janknitz

Re: OT: Protein and Weight Gain

Post by Janknitz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:53 pm

Those of us on low carb high fat diets (carbs 50 grams or less per day, fat 60-75% of total caloric intake lose weight, we don't feel starved and hungry all the time AND our lipid panels are great (my HDL is 79, my triglycerides are 71 after about 8 months of this way of eating). Calories in calories out is an old paradigm and doesn't work for most people (if it works so well, why don't people stick to it???).
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:42 pm

NotSleepingBeauty:
I imagine the numbers are very low; as the weight loss industry has a vested interest in keeping that a secret.

cowlypso

Post by cowlypso » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:10 pm

Calories in calories out is an old paradigm and doesn't work for most people (if it works so well, why don't people stick to it???).
It works very well. The only way that I've found I'm able to lose weight is to strictly count calories. When I stick to a limited caloric intake and exercise, I lose weight. If I consistently eat more and exercise less, I gain weight. No question that it works.

Is it any fun to pass on the second slice of cake and go running instead? Not really. I'd rather sit on the couch and eat cookies all day. So, my feelings don't match up well with what I should do. And that's the main reason why people don't stick to it. Not because they don't like the results, but because they don't like the work.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:28 pm

cowlypso wrote:
Calories in calories out is an old paradigm and doesn't work for most people (if it works so well, why don't people stick to it???).
It works very well. The only way that I've found I'm able to lose weight is to strictly count calories. When I stick to a limited caloric intake and exercise, I lose weight. If I consistently eat more and exercise less, I gain weight. No question that it works.

Is it any fun to pass on the second slice of cake and go running instead? Not really. I'd rather sit on the couch and eat cookies all day. So, my feelings don't match up well with what I should do. And that's the main reason why people don't stick to it. Not because they don't like the results, but because they don't like the work.
Actually if you skip the cake (carbs and sugar) to begin with you won't have the issue. Don't have them in the house. Nibble on pork rinds instead of potato chips.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Samaniego

Post by Samaniego » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:40 pm

this article on the same study be in the Wall Street Journal and here is the graph:

What means it?

I like to eat big. But exercise big also. Big weightplates on barbells. Lift many times.
Doctor write: Age 42. Diagnosed with mild obstructive sleep apnea AHI 21, mild oxygen desaturations, moderate snorer. Overall health good.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:50 pm

It would be nice if that article specified the percentage of carb/protein/fat of each diet. They didn't. They just showed that a high carb diet will pack on fat while losing muscle mass. HIgh protein will pack on fat too if you eat an excess of 1000 calories a day, though it will maintain more lean muscle mass. Some of us knew that.
It is NOT calories in calories out.

Samaniego

Post by Samaniego » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Trainer tell eat 25 grams protein after train before one hour passes. Everytime. Always eat protein important. Correct he with this?
Doctor write: Age 42. Diagnosed with mild obstructive sleep apnea AHI 21, mild oxygen desaturations, moderate snorer. Overall health good.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Kairosgrammy wrote:Calories in/Calories out. If they match, you maintain your body weight, if there's more in that out, you gain weight, if there's more out than in, you lose weight. Protein is needed for building muscle and muscle burns more fat than if you are non muscular. Basically, if you want to lose weight, you have to use more calories through diet and exercise than you take in. Protein is affective in a weight loss program, not because it will help you lose weight but because it, along with a high fiber diet, will keep you full longer, keeping those hunger pains under control. Low protein, high protein is immaterial except in calories in/calories out. You can eat nothing but donuts and still lose weight if you eat less calories than you use. Wouldn't recommend it though. The goal behind any weight loss program shouldn't be just to lose weight, it should be to change life styles. If you eat healthy and exercise within your capabilities you will lose and maintain a healthy weight and a healthier body.
The Choker wrote:Can you help me understand this article and study? http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/Obesity/30481?

I have gained some weight recently and want to make sure my diet is proper.

Thank you.
Please take the time to view any of the Gary Taubes presentations (not interviews)on youtube. It will only take an hour for him to cover the data he compiled over 5 years to write the book Good Carbs, Bad Carbs. In it he completely dispels the calories in/calories out myth.

NotSleepingBeauty

Post by NotSleepingBeauty » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:26 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:NotSleepingBeauty:
I imagine the numbers are very low; as the weight loss industry has a vested interest in keeping that a secret.
Amen to that!

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:32 pm

Lizistired wrote:In it he completely dispels the calories in/calories out myth.
According to him, how does the body dispose of the excess calories? Obviously what goes into the body either comes out of the body or is accumulated in the body. Calories is simply a measure of the energy content of food. So does he say that the body only extracts from the food the number of calories needed to move it for a given day, and then the food quantity that contains the excess calories is converted more readily into fat if it is carbo food as opposed to protein or fat food? And then the rest of the food from which calories are not extracted, or converted to fat or body tissue, is then eliminated as waste? Food is used up in only three ways, converted to energy which drives the muscles and ends up as heat that leaves the body, is converted to fat or other body tissue, or leaves the body as waste.

In short, how does Taubes correlate these four conversions?

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Carbohydrates drive insulin and insulin drives fat storage. Excess protein can cause an insulin response but fat doesn't. That's why I would be interested in what the carb/protein/fat percentages of the diet were. Most people eating low carb consume about 70% of their calories in fat. It satisfies hunger and your body can burn it because insulin isn't trying to store it. You eat less because you don't have the blood sugar spikes and crashes that make you graze.
I gotta wonder how they found volunteers to gain weight!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:22 am

"how does the body dispose of the excess calories? Obviously what goes into the body either comes out of the body or is accumulated in the body. Calories is simply a measure of the energy content of food."

http://waroninsulin.com/nutrition/revis ... of-obesity

Maybe this will help.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

NotSleepingBeauty

Post by NotSleepingBeauty » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:32 am

Janknitz wrote:"how does the body dispose of the excess calories? Obviously what goes into the body either comes out of the body or is accumulated in the body. Calories is simply a measure of the energy content of food."

http://waroninsulin.com/nutrition/revis ... of-obesity

Maybe this will help.
Amen!

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:42 am

Most folks do not ingest enough fiber... otherwise known as psyllium.

Psyllium keeps your digestive system moving along and contributes to
that full satisfied feeling thus lowering appetite.

I use this: http://www.konsyl.com/

Also better to consume more smaller meals than fewer large meals
during the course of a day to keep blood sugar levels from going too
low which in turn can drive one into snacking.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Paul56 wrote:Most folks do not ingest enough fiber... otherwise known as psyllium.

Psyllium keeps your digestive system moving along and contributes to
that full satisfied feeling thus lowering appetite.

I use this: http://www.konsyl.com/

Also better to consume more smaller meals than fewer large meals
during the course of a day to keep blood sugar levels from going too
low which in turn can drive one into snacking.
I used to believe all that.
Suprisingly, in a year of eating low carb I haven't needed to supplement fiber. No issues, nada. Whole fresh vegetables offer plenty of fiber but sometimes I don't eat any.
All those smaller meals tend to blurr into grazing. If my blood sugar doesn't spike from high carbs the lows aren't a threat. They are a natural signal that I am hungry and it's time for a meal.