Wife complains of Noise - Mouth Leakage? Hybrid Masks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
archangle

Re: Wife complains of Noise - Mouth Leakage? Hybrid Masks?

Post by archangle » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:01 pm

scooter133 wrote:Though the real reason is my wife is getting Pissy about me using the CPAP again. Thinks it is something that will just make me more dependent on keeping using it. Wants me to find another solution. From my research, this is the place to start. Especially with CSA (Central Sleep Apnea) and not OSA. I think out of the 480 events, only 10 were Apnea, the rest was just my body slowing down the breathing. I told her to do her own research and find out for herself...
If you have apnea, the main alternative to CPAP is barium treatment. i.e. "What do we do with this dead body?" "Bury 'im."

Dental devices are expensive and only work well for a small number of people. Most surgery is painful, has a long recovery time, and may have bad side effects. The patient often has little or no improvement, and may need CPAP later anyway. There's a much more invasive and serious surgery that may have a better success rate, but it's much more major.

Obesity is often blamed for apnea, but lots of people lose weight and don't lose the apnea. Lots of thin people get apnea, too.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:11 pm

archangle wrote:
If you have apnea, the main alternative to CPAP is barium treatment. i.e. "What do we do with this dead body?" "Bury 'im."
You forgot a tracheotomy. It was the gold standard before cpap. It always works.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:38 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:You forgot a tracheotomy. It was the gold standard before cpap. It always works.
Do they ever do that for apnea any more?

Or do they wait until after you have a stroke?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:14 pm

archangle wrote:Dental devices are expensive and only work well for a small number of people. Most surgery is painful, has a long recovery time, and may have bad side effects. The patient often has little or no improvement, and may need CPAP later anyway. There's a much more invasive and serious surgery that may have a better success rate, but it's much more major.

Obesity is often blamed for apnea, but lots of people lose weight and don't lose the apnea. Lots of thin people get apnea, too.
I had no idea there were such conclusive evidence for such absolute statements.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

M.D.Hosehead

Post by M.D.Hosehead » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:01 pm

If, as the OP says, he has central apnea, dental devices and/or tracheosteomy won't help. Nor is he being treated with the correct machine.

OP also says he snores a lot, which suggests obstruction. I wonder how careful his studies were, or how competent his doc; my first study was poorly done. It's hard to believe a REMstar plus was prescribed for mainly central apneas. If you could post your sleep studies, people here might be able to help you more.

If his spouse believes using xpap will "just make him more dependent," she's terribly ignorant on the subject. If she won't educate herself, her statements should be ignored. The problem here could be bigger than just xpap.

Perhaps an audio or video recording would help locate the source of the noise.