Pillow Recommendations

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SMenasco

Pillow Recommendations

Post by SMenasco » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:38 am

I use the Swift II nasal system and sleep on my side, which sometimes puts pressure on the mask, causing it to leak. Any recommendations on an effective cpap pillow? Thanks,

NotSleepingBeauty

Re: Pillow Recommendations

Post by NotSleepingBeauty » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:53 am

I use the PAPillow. They sell it @ cpap.com. I find that it works well. I have also heard of folks that use buckwheat pillows as well. Good luck!

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:12 am

I use the buckwheat hull pillow, I move the hulls to make a spot for my head, then bunch up some to come up at my neck and then move some away at my mask. No pressure is against the mask and it does not move.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

apneawho

Post by apneawho » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:47 am

I use the Sobakawa cloud pillow on top of my regular pillow (bought at Bed Bath and Beyond $19.99 and used their 20% off coupon). The cloud is small so that is one reason I use on top of regular low profile pillow and I find that the cloud pillow will conform under my mask nicely so I can sleep on my side. It also works great to conform under my neck if I sleep on my back during the night.

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:31 am

Swift FX... mostly back and occasionally side... works very well for me.

apneawho

Post by apneawho » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:33 am

Paul56 wrote:Swift FX... mostly back and occasionally side... works very well for me.
I think the poster was asking about pillow under the head.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Simple foam contour pillow..."under the head kind'.

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:48 pm

apneawho wrote:
Paul56 wrote:Swift FX... mostly back and occasionally side... works very well for me.
I think the poster was asking about pillow under the head.
Me too!

plr66

Post by plr66 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:50 pm

I agree with NSB above. PapPillow is IMO worth every penny for side sleeping. I've loved mine for 3 years, and bet it will not need to be replaced for another 3 years. Exceptional quality of construction and durable, lasting firmness for great support, meaning decreased neck problems. The shape is genius for virtually any mask type. Buckwheat pillows will shift around through the night by nature of the loose hulls inside, and I tended to wake up more often, having to punch it back in place.
This question seems to be re-posted every month or so. You might want to check it in the Search box at the top of the index page for other detailed responses.
Last edited by plr66 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

osmium sleeper

Post by osmium sleeper » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm a side sleeper who is rough on pillows and goes through 2 average pillows about every 2 months. I have had the following pillows last quite some time, and they have been kind of compatible with my FFMs http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Studio-Visc ... 004PB7OTA/

and these:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... opnav=&s=1

Bugdude

Post by Bugdude » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:00 am

I use a dense latex pillow. It provides support without your head sinking in to it and thus pushing the mask off your face. I paid $20 from CostCo.

snoozysue

Post by snoozysue » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:21 am

I have found the Contour pillow to be excellent for side sleeping. The cutouts just work well with my FF mask.
http://www.contourliving.com/p-71-conto ... illow.aspx

CH97

Post by CH97 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:38 pm

I just received the CPAPMax Pillow by contour living- it looked like it would help with side sleeping BUT- the pillow, newly out of the plastic bag, has an awful synthetic almost formaldehyde smell to it! I am airing it out before I try it but may have to return it. Has anyone else experienced this? The shape and feel of the pillow look great but I fear the smell is going to put me off using it. Anyone?

NYcpap

Post by NYcpap » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:25 pm

For me, the buckwheat pillow works best.

jlhog

Post by jlhog » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:52 pm

I am very new to all this. I just got my first cpap machine 3 days ago. I had a foam pillow and an old feather pillow. When I had my sleep study the center had foam pillows and I could not sleep on my side as I like. That pushed on the mask to much. When I use the old feather pillow I can minuplate it so I can be comfortable sleeping on my side. I should say trying to sleep. I need to get used to this equipment before I sleep.