My Zeo mobile is having issues

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
davelikesbeer

My Zeo mobile is having issues

Post by davelikesbeer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:30 am

I used my zeo pretty much every night up until 12/4 when I took a 5 day break. Then I started using it again. Now something odd has happened. During the night of the 12th, the headband ran out of power before the night could finish. It had recorded a partial night onto my phone.

I figured I'd just didn't dock it correctly and it was a one time thing. However, it happened again last night. This time it didn't record any data.

Coincidentally, this morning when I woke up I found there as an update to my Zeo mobile application. And the application told me there is a firmware update for the headband (I finally know whey they included a USB cable in the kit).

I'm hoping the battery issue will be resolved in firmware as I cannot imagine the batter is really failing after such a short lifespan.

Lizistired

Re: My Zeo mobile is having issues

Post by Lizistired » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:47 am

I hope it is a glitch they have found and are fixing it.

I'm curious what the range is on the Zeo. I'm wondering if someone else could monitor your sleep from another room. I'm going to check this on my console unit but am really curious about the mobile.
Also, does the graph show on your phone while you are asleep like it does on the console? I'm sure your phone's display times out, but again, I'm wondering if it could be checked by someone monitoring your sleep.

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:11 pm

Lizistired wrote:I hope it is a glitch they have found and are fixing it.

I'm curious what the range is on the Zeo. I'm wondering if someone else could monitor your sleep from another room. I'm going to check this on my console unit but am really curious about the mobile.
Also, does the graph show on your phone while you are asleep like it does on the console? I'm sure your phone's display times out, but again, I'm wondering if it could be checked by someone monitoring your sleep.
The bedside and mobile use two different wireless technologies. The mobile uses standard bluetooth so I would image has the typical range of approximately 30 feet.

And yes, the phone does display the sleep data during the night if you choose to do so. In fact, after I installed the Zeo app on my phone and placed it into my desktop dock, I was given the option of automatically starting the Zeo app when docking. The first night, I did have the Zeo app display, but I found it too bright. It's not that it is very bright, but in a bitch black room, after your eyes adjust, it seems too bright. By comparison, when I dock my phone in standard alarm clock mode, I first set the phone to its dimmest setting, then further dim it in the alarm clock app.

To answer your question, although I've never done it, I'm sure someone could monitor your sleep from another room.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:01 pm

Thanks Dave, that helps a lot. I may invest in the mobile.. after I hear if the upgrade fixes your glitch.

DJ_Boxer

Post by DJ_Boxer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:49 am

To give a somewhat update to the OP: I have just gotten my Zeo Mobile and have used it for two nights in a row and it has given me both nights full data. I have only downloaded what was in the App store, so I believe the update might fix your problems. (Now if I could only wear it with my Activa LT Nasal and Quattro Full-Face masks?)
"Embrace your dreams"- Angeal Hewley

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:50 am

DJ_Boxer wrote:To give a somewhat update to the OP: I have just gotten my Zeo Mobile and have used it for two nights in a row and it has given me both nights full data. I have only downloaded what was in the App store, so I believe the update might fix your problems. (Now if I could only wear it with my Activa LT Nasal and Quattro Full-Face masks?)
To be clear about my original post, when I updated the Zeo App, the app told me I needed to update the firmware on the headband.

Updating the firmware was a relative pain in the a**, but mostly straightforward. First, I had to download a usb driver for the headband. Then I had to download the firmware installer. Then I had to run that and select which firmware I wanted to download, of which there was only one dated sometime in late September. Given that the headband had not come out until October, I'm not sure if this was in fact an updated firmware at all.

Since I've done this, I had one "incomplete" night and one good night. If I understand this correctly, it means the headband's battery ran out.

I think I will call Zeo "when I have time" to ask for a replacement. Hopefully, they will not give me the runaround until the warranty runs out.

Dave.

LittleRedTruck

Post by LittleRedTruck » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:30 am

I have been somewhat interested in this device. Ive read quite a bit on their site and feel there's a number of issues with their products. Im diabetic and have wondered how insulin at bedtime, poor control, high blood sugars affect my sleep patterns. I dont mind the $100 initial outlay exactly, but sort of reject $20 replacement band costs ongoing. I guess I dont understand why sensors would fail and need to be replaced. About how often does the headband need to be replaced ? After some brutal masks Ive worn over the last 6 years, I know the headband wont bother me any. Do you feel the information this unit provides justifies the cost of purchase. Would you buy it again after using it for a while ? Thanks, Dan in snowless Minnesota at Christmas time .

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:04 am

Dan, I have the bedside unit. See these threads for more info:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68747&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p638020
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68424&p=635357#p635357

I think the Zeo is a worthwhile tool to help monitor the factors that influence the quality of sleep.

The sensors are metallic cloth. I suppose after a while the metallic coating could wear off, but most likely they just get dirty. I've used mine for about a 100 days without noticeable degradation. The machine is programmed to alert the user to change sensors at 90 days, but nothing happens if you don't. The alert is based on days of use only and not quality of signal. The alert can be reset to 0 days anytime by the user telling it new sensors have been installed.

I assume the forgoing applies to the mobile unit as well.

Jay