Neti Pot Death

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepingBearDoNtWake

Neti Pot Death

Post by SleepingBearDoNtWake » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:44 pm

Today on the news there was another death linked the the neti pot . You can read the article below, and they say that to protect yourself from the amoeba use distilled water and let you Neti Pot dry out. I don't see any reason not to keep using it, just to use these precautions. I also don't understand why the tap water would have these amoebas, in them as I thought the tap put choline in it to kill everything.

Louisiana health regulators warned residents Tuesday about the dangers of using neti pots improperly. A neti pot, which looks like a genie's lamp, is commonly used to irrigate sinuses. The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals issued its warning following a second death this year caused by Naegleria fowleri, the so-called brain-eating amoeba.

View full sizeCenters for Disease Control and PreventionImages of naegleria fowleri, with the colored images on either side showing stained samples in brain tissue.
A 51-year-old DeSoto Parish woman died after using tap water in a neti pot to irrigate her sinuses and became infected by the deadly amoeba, which entered the body through her nose. In June, a 20-year-old St. Bernard Parish man died under the same circumstances.

"If you are irrigating, flushing, or rinsing your sinuses, for example, by using a neti pot, use distilled, sterile or previously boiled water to make up the irrigation solution," said Louisiana State Epidemiologist, Dr. Raoult Ratard. "Tap water is safe for drinking, but not for irrigating your nose."]It's also important to rinse the irrigation device after each use and leave open to air dry, he said.

View full sizeBobby Vasquez, houstontx.govCity of Houston employee Duncan Elliott says daily use of a neti pot has prevented major allergy flare-ups.
The very rare infection typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater lakes and rivers. In very rare instances, health experts said such infections may also occur when contaminated water from other sources, such as inadequately chlorinated swimming pool water or heated tap water less than 116.6 degrees, enters the nose when people submerge their heads or when people irrigate their sinuses with devices such as a neti pot.

DHH said the amoeba causes the disease primary amebic meningoencephalitis, a brain infection that leads to the destruction of brain tissue. In its early stages, symptoms may be similar to symptoms of bacterial meningitis and can include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting and stiff neck. Later symptoms include confusion, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations.

After the start of symptoms, the disease progresses rapidly and usually causes death within one to 12 days.

Uncle_Bob

Re: Neti Pot Death

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:53 pm

Yikes

I use a nasal irrigation system (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CW ... 00_details) with a tap water/salt to make the saline solution.
Using distilled is likely going to triple the amount I'm going to buy each week.

I have a pur water filter on my refrigerator water, maybe I should start using water from that.

Perrybucsdad

Post by Perrybucsdad » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:02 pm

We out to let the guys at Gitmo know... Waterboarding just because all that more dangerous.

Personally, I'm not worried about it. I would think if you use municipal water, you should be okay. I would think the only time this may be an issue are for those who live out where there is no city water and they have well water. I believe in the article this was in Desoto Parrish, LA, and although I am not familiar with the area, looking on a map it looks to be some ways from a major city, so I would think there is a good chance this person may have had well water and that is why this was a problem.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:18 pm

2 deaths. Certainly raises some eyebrows, and one should be cautious, but it's not something I'll freak out about. When the # of deaths gets to the point where it can be stated as a percentage of users, then maybe there is something I can really be concerned about.

However, at this point, I think one has a greater chance of dying in a car accident on the way to the store to buy distilled than they do from dying from an amoeba in their tap.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:37 pm

In wake of third and fourth deaths, DHH warns of dangers when neti pots used improperly

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

First Posted: January 17, 2012 - 5:18 pm

BATON ROUGE, La. — State health regulators warned residents Tuesday about the dangers of using neti pots improperly.

A neti pot, which looks like a genie's lamp, is commonly used to irrigate sinuses. The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals issued its warning following a third and fourth death this year caused by using boiling tap water in neti pots.

Users are cautioned to let the water cool to 90 degrees Fahrenheit or less before use.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

SleepingBearDoNtWake

Post by SleepingBearDoNtWake » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:47 pm

I don't think it is anything to go crazy about. It just means that we should take a little extra time, and maybe boil our water, before we use it, or throw it in the microwave for a minute. To be honest, I don't know if I will do that, as it is a little inconvient, and people have been using the neti pot for many years.

Perrybucsdad

Post by Perrybucsdad » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:07 pm

SleepingBearDoNtWake wrote:I don't think it is anything to go crazy about. It just means that we should take a little extra time, and maybe boil our water, before we use it, or throw it in the microwave for a minute. To be honest, I don't know if I will do that, as it is a little inconvient, and people have been using the neti pot for many years.
And then we will have the headline, "A Bear uses a Neti Pot and Scalds the inside of his nose with boiling water!"

cowlypso

Post by cowlypso » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:09 pm

I just did a presentation in my microbiology project on this ameba...

Yes, you can be at risk even if you have city water (not a well). All it takes is for one or two to get into your hot water heater, and they can multiply there.

You should either use distilled water, or water that has been boiled.

Also, avoid getting water up your nose when you are swimming in freshwater (including pools that may not be properly chlorinated), especially in warmer climates.

Java Time

Post by Java Time » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:39 pm

The literature that comes with the packets tells you to use distilled water!

I use the neti 8oz squeeze bottle. I frequently used well water until I heard about the death this past summer. I use only distilled water now.

Speaking of drying the squeeze bottle or neti-pot completely, I use the NeilMed "NasaDock Plus Drying Stand" and it works great for drying the rinse bottle. CPAP.com doesn't carry it, but you can see what it looks like on NeilMed's webpage here:
http://www.neilmed.com/usa/nasadock.php

Last edited by Java Time on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are struggling with congestion, it helped me to add Alkalol to my daily sinus rinse. This reduced my congestion and allows me to breathe freely with my CPAP mask. CPAPtalk post about Alkalol use here: viewtopic.php?p=665255#p665255

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:04 pm

PREVIOUSLY BOILED WATER.......Boil water in your tea pot and leave it cool there. Every time you use some, boil another pot.
Last edited by LSAT on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M.D.Hosehead

Post by M.D.Hosehead » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:09 pm

SleepingBearDoNtWake wrote:Today on the news there was another death linked the the neti pot . You can read the article below, and they say that to protect yourself from the amoeba use distilled water and let you Neti Pot dry out. I don't see any reason not to keep using it, just to use these precautions. I also don't understand why the tap water would have these amoebas, in them as I thought the tap put choline in it to kill everything.

Louisiana health regulators warned residents Tuesday about the dangers of using neti pots improperly. A neti pot, which looks like a genie's lamp, is commonly used to irrigate sinuses. The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals issued its warning following a second death this year caused by Naegleria fowleri, the so-called brain-eating amoeba.

View full sizeCenters for Disease Control and PreventionImages of naegleria fowleri, with the colored images on either side showing stained samples in brain tissue.
A 51-year-old DeSoto Parish woman died after using tap water in a neti pot to irrigate her sinuses and became infected by the deadly amoeba, which entered the body through her nose. In June, a 20-year-old St. Bernard Parish man died under the same circumstances.

"If you are irrigating, flushing, or rinsing your sinuses, for example, by using a neti pot, use distilled, sterile or previously boiled water to make up the irrigation solution," said Louisiana State Epidemiologist, Dr. Raoult Ratard. "Tap water is safe for drinking, but not for irrigating your nose."]It's also important to rinse the irrigation device after each use and leave open to air dry, he said.

View full sizeBobby Vasquez, houstontx.govCity of Houston employee Duncan Elliott says daily use of a neti pot has prevented major allergy flare-ups.
The very rare infection typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater lakes and rivers. In very rare instances, health experts said such infections may also occur when contaminated water from other sources, such as inadequately chlorinated swimming pool water or heated tap water less than 116.6 degrees, enters the nose when people submerge their heads or when people irrigate their sinuses with devices such as a neti pot.

DHH said the amoeba causes the disease primary amebic meningoencephalitis, a brain infection that leads to the destruction of brain tissue. In its early stages, symptoms may be similar to symptoms of bacterial meningitis and can include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting and stiff neck. Later symptoms include confusion, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations.

After the start of symptoms, the disease progresses rapidly and usually causes death within one to 12 days.
SB, can you provide a link?

SleepingBearDoNtWake

Post by SleepingBearDoNtWake » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:25 pm

Hello,

Well if you hear about a bear that burned his nostrils out with a neti pot that would more than likely be me!

As for the link here is one from a Fox News.
http://www.fox8live.com/news/local/stor ... 26q8Q.cspx

If you look up Neti Pot Death, you will find a few others. I don't remember which news program I saw it on today, as I was rushing out of the house to get to the doctors and looked it up when I got home.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:42 pm

I bet more people have ignited their hair using ear candles.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:22 pm

cowlypso wrote: Also, avoid getting water up your nose when you are swimming in freshwater (including pools that may not be properly chlorinated), especially in warmer climates.

Damn, let's take all the fun out of life. Since the age of two I have swum regularly in the southern lakes and mountain streams. I have spent hours diving under Dad's sailboats and keeping the slime scrubbed off the bottoms. Surely there are lots of amoebae living in that slime and no doubt little particles have often gone up my nose.

What about showering? I am enthusiastic in the shower (with a partner or alone) and don't want to start wearing a nose clip.

I will continue to take the chance.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent