Newbie mouth breather ready to call it quits

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mouthbreather7

Newbie mouth breather ready to call it quits

Post by mouthbreather7 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Just a few months ago I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. My very first problem was severe sores to the bridge of the nose. I use the gel insert that goes between mask and face to no avail and changed mask styles several times but each time the nose sores became so severe that I have given up on anything that comes in contact with the bridge of the nose. Besides the pain of the bridge of the nose I could never get a mask to stay sealed. I might start out with a good seal but as soon as the machine stepped up it's output the masks would leak, all of them, all the time. I never had a succesful night with these types of masks even in the two nights I was at the sleep center study. Each time I would go into deep sleep the masks would leak waking me up. I read everything I could on this sight and saw that some used the mask that does not touch the bridge of the nose and I tried one. I fell right to sleep butalways woke up with dry mouth even when wearing the chin strap. I finally read on here where someone taped the mouth shut and was so desperate, I tried it. It is the only set up that has worked for me consistantly. There have been a couple of bad experiences with this set up. One time, suffering from a bad cold, that I dreamed I was being choked and awoke unable to breathe through my nose, I clawed to get the tape off of my mouth so I could breathe. The tape has to be strong on my mouth or I will awake the next morning with the tape loose and slobber down my chin. I tried the mask (hybrid) I think, It will not stayed sealed no matter how I configure the pieces to it. I have come to the conclusion that I am destined to a taped mouth and nasal pillows or nothing at all. Anybody with any help please reply. I will see my Dr. this week for the first time since I started and I know I have given this thing my all. Why can't some company make molds of the face with alginate and plaster and use the mold to cast one of a kind masks for each patient. Even if the initial cost were higher it surely would not be higher than using several different masks and ultimate failure.

cindjo717

Re: Newbie mouth breather ready to call it quits

Post by cindjo717 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:29 pm

I am a mouth breather, due to that plus one of my nostrils does not work for some reason I use a full face mask. Yes, it was leaking A LOT! I made a leak strap that seems to be working VERY well.. Have you tried this.... look up leak strap on pad a cheek.... it's pretty easy to make one too.. with some velcro and a scarf, but I figure maybe the one that I buy would work even better... I holds the mask in place much better. as far as your nose, have you tried a band aid on that spot before you put the mask on to protect it? I think that after some point in time your skin in that area should become tougher and be able to handle the friction without opening up into a sore.. hope this helped. Don't give up either...

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:34 pm

I use a full face mask. I take a small thin micro fiber towel and cut a triangular hole in it for my nose and mouth. The towel completely covers my face, including my eyes, from ear to ear, under my mask. It takes some getting use to, but it really is effective at stopping the leaks, especially where the mask meets the nose. It also prevents the mask and headgear from making marks on my face. And I use an anti-leak strap made by Padacheek. It's extremely effective, and I wouldn't want to be without it.

I also tape, but I don't tape my mouth closed. I use a configuration similar to chin-up strips. Usually I just put a piece of tape on either side from under my chin up beside my nose, pulling hard. It does not prevent me from mouth breathing in an emergency, but it is enough to keep my mouth closed. I first smear some Milk of Magnesia on my face where the tape will go, let it dry, then brush off all but the lightest coat. I use paper tape and fold one end under for easy removal. Sometimes I add a stabilizing piece under my lower lip to connect the two vertical pieces.

If you don't use the Milk of Magnesia, make sure you have pretty tough skin.

needzzzzs

Post by needzzzzs » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:30 pm

There *is* a custom fit nasal mask, originally from Australia, but suppposedly available in the US now.

http://sleepapneadisorder.info/tag/acur ... stom-mask/

I think it's pretty expensive, and not sure insurance would cover, but if it makes the difference between being able to use therapy, it might be worth trying to get one.

Good luck, and don't give up!

Debbie

mouthbreather7 wrote:Just a few months ago I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. My very first problem was severe sores to the bridge of the nose. I use the gel insert that goes between mask and face to no avail and changed mask styles several times but each time the nose sores became so severe that I have given up on anything that comes in contact with the bridge of the nose. Besides the pain of the bridge of the nose I could never get a mask to stay sealed. I might start out with a good seal but as soon as the machine stepped up it's output the masks would leak, all of them, all the time. I never had a succesful night with these types of masks even in the two nights I was at the sleep center study. Each time I would go into deep sleep the masks would leak waking me up. I read everything I could on this sight and saw that some used the mask that does not touch the bridge of the nose and I tried one. I fell right to sleep butalways woke up with dry mouth even when wearing the chin strap. I finally read on here where someone taped the mouth shut and was so desperate, I tried it. It is the only set up that has worked for me consistantly. There have been a couple of bad experiences with this set up. One time, suffering from a bad cold, that I dreamed I was being choked and awoke unable to breathe through my nose, I clawed to get the tape off of my mouth so I could breathe. The tape has to be strong on my mouth or I will awake the next morning with the tape loose and slobber down my chin. I tried the mask (hybrid) I think, It will not stayed sealed no matter how I configure the pieces to it. I have come to the conclusion that I am destined to a taped mouth and nasal pillows or nothing at all. Anybody with any help please reply. I will see my Dr. this week for the first time since I started and I know I have given this thing my all. Why can't some company make molds of the face with alginate and plaster and use the mold to cast one of a kind masks for each patient. Even if the initial cost were higher it surely would not be higher than using several different masks and ultimate failure.

drdrew

Post by drdrew » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:45 pm

The mirage liberty may work for you even if the hybrid did not. Was the answer for this mouth breather...may be worth a try

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:27 am

What about a Fit Life mask? This mask goes from above your eyebrows to your chin. No pressure on the nose. It might be ok with mouth breathing.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:36 am

Janknitz wrote:What about a Fit Life mask? This mask goes from above your eyebrows to your chin. No pressure on the nose. It might be ok with mouth breathing.
I second trying the FitLife (not the one size fits all- the FitLife Total Face Mask) it has a large footprint, but does not touch the bridge of the nose. I have very little leaks with this mask. At one time I used Macks Silicone Ear Plugs- you take the ear plugs and roll them into a string about pencil size and put around the perimeter of the mask for a good seal. Now, since the headgear on the large size is too big I wear a kufi hat under the straps and it works perfectly. This is a great mask.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:44 am

If your DME won't let you try some full face masks, try this. It costs $14.00 round trip but I found it worth the price. http://www.cpaplibrary.com/mask-trials.html

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Resister

Post by Resister » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:39 am

To keep my mouth closed I use a pair of knee-high pantyhose looped under my chin and tied on top of my head. That mostly works. In addition, I hug a body pillow all night, and the top of it is propped under my chin and helps to keep my mouth closed. My leaks are low.
~Mama is happy when she sleeps with Pap-py~

BrianR4743

Post by BrianR4743 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:36 pm

After bunches of trial & error, the Swift FX pillows, a PapCap and tape were the only way to get my leaks to zero and my AHI consistantly below 2. Always keep a 1/2" tab on one end of the tape for easy removal. Been working like a gem for me, as I couldn't do the FFM.

Best of luck and stick with it. You'll get there!

“Sleeplessness is a desert without vegetation or inhabitants”

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:11 pm

I'm glad you wrote to the forum asking for help. That means you are not really ready to call it quits. Sometimes when I read that I want to say "ok, go ahead and quit", but you redeemed yourself. Hope you are doing better.