Lifespan of S9 Autoset hypoallergenic filter?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepingUgly

Lifespan of S9 Autoset hypoallergenic filter?

Post by SleepingUgly » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:17 am

I see that he regular filter for the S9 is supposed to be replaced every 6 months. But what's the lifespan of the hypoallergenic filter?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

ozij

Re: Lifespan of S9 Autoset hypoallergenic filter?

Post by ozij » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:32 am

For any filter, it really depends on the environment you're in.

One thing that may help: take the filter out (I try to do it once a month) and snap your finger at it to shake dust out of it (hit from the inside to the outside), I do it near an open window, and not in the bedroom.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:04 am

Indeed! When DH was installing new windows, (bless his heart)
our regular filters had to be shaken out every couple of days.
When all the carpentry was done-and cleaned up after, I replaced our filters,
even though they were only a couple of months old.
He wants to get the hypoallergenic filters next time we buy any.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:56 pm

ozij wrote:For any filter, it really depends on the environment you're in.

One thing that may help: take the filter out (I try to do it once a month) and snap your finger at it to shake dust out of it (hit from the inside to the outside), I do it near an open window, and not in the bedroom.
Do the hypoallergenic filters go in any special way, does it matter which side goes towards the inside like with M Series white filters? Do they have any impact on the pressure/air flow?

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:44 pm

I change my hypoallergenic filters more often--every month or two... since they are collecting more stuff, they tend to get dirty faster. You can tell by looking at them if they should be changed--just compare against a clean one and use your best judgment.

(yet another Jeff)

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:16 pm

DoriC wrote:
ozij wrote:For any filter, it really depends on the environment you're in.

Do the hypoallergenic filters go in any special way, does it matter which side goes towards the inside like with M Series white filters? Do they have any impact on the pressure/air flow?
I don't think they have different sides as far as first installation goes. I only meant to make sure you shake out the dust from the "inside" side to the "outside" side, and not drive it into the filter. And then, when you put it back in you want to maitain the outside side of the filter. That does mean you have to remember how you're holding it....

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

WestCoastCdnGrl

Post by WestCoastCdnGrl » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:12 am

In my most recent order with our hosts, I purchased a dozen of their house brand S9 hypoallergenic filters, which I intend on changing at the first of every month... they're less expensive than the brand name and are a small monthly price to pay to keep the air that is being forced into my lungs as allergen free as possible.

I notice that they're not as thick as the brand name filters, but I would imagine that this is compensated for, by the fact that they are affordable enough to be changed more frequently, thus reducing the need for a thick filter.

Knightmare

Post by Knightmare » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:19 pm

WestCoastCdnGrl wrote:In my most recent order with our hosts, I purchased a dozen of their house brand S9 hypoallergenic filters, which I intend on changing at the first of every month... they're less expensive than the brand name and are a small monthly price to pay to keep the air that is being forced into my lungs as allergen free as possible.

I notice that they're not as thick as the brand name filters, but I would imagine that this is compensated for, by the fact that they are affordable enough to be changed more frequently, thus reducing the need for a thick filter.
Nice to know someone else feels the same as I do, that the generic hypoallergenic filters do indeed feel thinner than the Resmed branded ones . Every time I change my S9 filter, I always end up spending minutes staring and comparing the generic to the brand name filter lol. I tend to change my filter monthly since I noticed that after one month, if I flick the filter, a lot of dust gets released.

By the way, our hosts here used to sell both the generic and the Resmed brand Hypoallergenic filters, I bought both from them once. I paid $4.95 for 2 (2.47 each) for the Resmed brand versus 13.95 for 6 (2.32 each) for the generic. Its not all that much cheaper for the generic. I'm just going to stick with the Resmed branded one from now on.

Bright Choice

Post by Bright Choice » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:06 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:I see that he regular filter for the S9 is supposed to be replaced every 6 months. But what's the lifespan of the hypoallergenic filter?
I set my s9 to remind me to change it every month. Just moved into a new (old) house and this month it was pretty disgusting looking, so I guess it depends on environment. I wouldn't trust just shaking exterior dust off. What remains inside may defeat any attempt at trying to stay away from allergens.