Ultra Mirage Full FAce Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Newsgrouper

Post by Newsgrouper » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:56 pm

When I look at the cushion on mine there are two flaps that comprise the outer face of the seal. This could be construed as "two cushions." Is this the case?

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:50 pm

Severeena, Please, please, please give us more information. Could you please look at the 2 cushions that are now on your husband's mask and place them side by side (or just read the size written on each mask) and tell us specifically if they are 2 identical sized ResMed full face ultra mirage cushions that look like this:

Are you saying that the main cushion is attached to the mask as in this picture:

and you just lay the extra cushion over the one that is already attached to the mask so they're stacked on each other like Pringles potato chips? So nothing really keeps this second cushion in place except for the pressure of the mask strapped to his face?

We would really appreciate knowing exactly how this is done!
I will put this same question in the other thread where you talk about using 2 cushions in case you don't see this.

THANK YOU!

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:16 pm

The extra cushion goes over the mask cushion that fits against the face.

This cushion has nothing to do with the hose

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:51 pm

Okay, thanks Severeena. Just one more question. Could you please look at the 2 cushions that are now on your husband's mask and place them side by side (or just read the size written on each mask) and tell us specifically if they are 2 identical sized ResMed full face ultra mirage cushions?

THANK YOU!

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Both cushions are Large.

Newsgrouper

Post by Newsgrouper » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:38 pm

I am now even more confused . Is one large cushion placed atop the other large cushion? What holds the second cushion to the first?

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:12 pm

My understanding is that Tom is using 2 indentical Large ResMed Ultra Mirage FF cushions. One cushion is attached to the mask as normal, and the other cushion is placed directly over that one (like Pringles potato chips). Nothing holds the second cushion in place until the mask is strapped on.

Is this correct, Severeena?

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:43 pm

Now you got it.

No more noise either.

The cudhion is so thin that after about a week it breaks down.

Newsgrouper

Post by Newsgrouper » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:56 pm

Severeena said:
"The cushion is so thin that after about a week it breaks down."

Sharon,
I'm glad this unusual method is working but are you saying that the cushion needs replacement after about a week? These cushions cost almost $70.00 each on cpap.com.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:56 pm

That thin rubber seal is PART OF the cushion unit. If it wasn't there to begin with, the mask wasn't complete when it was sold to you and the DME is giving you a line of BS. I've been using mine for nine months and it's nowhere near "breaking down" or wearing out.

Here's the item:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... irage.html

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Barb (Seattle)

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:04 pm

[quote="Anonymous"]My understanding is that Tom is using 2 indentical Large ResMed Ultra Mirage FF cushions. One cushion is attached to the mask as normal, and the other cushion is placed directly over that one (like Pringles potato chips). Nothing holds the second cushion in place until the mask is strapped on.

Is this correct, Severeena?

Kemosabe

Post by Kemosabe » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:57 am

I'm hoping Severena will post a picture. I think that'd help us understand what's going on so much better.

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:04 am

Very hard to post a picture.

The mask came complete with cushion.

The tech just put a second cushion over the top of the first cushion. The second cushion once in place does not move and it is not in the way of the head gear.

Tom places the mask on his face first and then the head gear goes over his head and then he puts the clip on lays down and goes to sleep.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:09 am

Barb (Seattle) wrote:How could this be placed OVER the other mask as the straps and plastic piece would be in the way, and it would fall right off.
The second cushion is placed over the first cushion, which is already attached to the mask as normal. So they are stacked on top of each other.

Severeena, Does Tom sleep on his back or on his side? With this new double cushion system, does he have any trouble with leaks when he sleeps on his side?

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:58 pm

Once you place the second cushion on the mask it stays put.

Tom sleeps on his back and side.