Resmed expensive in Australia

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ozze_dollar

Re: Resmed expensive in Australia

Post by ozze_dollar » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:43 pm

dsm wrote:
ozze_dollar wrote:
soundersfootballclub wrote:Isn't Resmed an Australian company?
Yes the whole thing is a disgrace. The manufacturing plant is only a few Kms away and they have the nerve to charge such prices.
Get real

What is the US market vs the Aust market !!!

You clearly have *never* had to run an international business -! - while you are whinging check the price of Resmed Cpaps in Aust vs US prices & if you feel aggrieved then write to Resmed - you know where Bella Vista is !!!
(I recently checked the prices of an Aust S9 ASV machine from local sources vs one from the US & I felt sorry for our US friends !. In fact I shut up about it because I didn't want to here them complaining about how we were better off !!! )

DSM
For Cpaps the price in the US is around half what we pay in Australia. I just paid over $A4000 for a VPAP Adapt.

Gerald?

Post by Gerald? » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Tax is not the issue for Australian pricing. GST is 10%. This does not equate to 3 times the price.

Resmed just has stranglehold on the resellers. None of them is really big enough to leverage any decent pricing and as long as they all stick to the script, there's not a lot of incentive to discount. Best way to change things is to import!

glenj, most australian private health insurance extra's packages include aroudn a $500 rebate for medical equipment. You sometimes have to push a little.

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:29 pm

ozze_dollar wrote:
dsm wrote:
ozze_dollar wrote:
soundersfootballclub wrote:Isn't Resmed an Australian company?
Yes the whole thing is a disgrace. The manufacturing plant is only a few Kms away and they have the nerve to charge such prices.
Get real

What is the US market vs the Aust market !!!

You clearly have *never* had to run an international business -! - while you are whinging check the price of Resmed Cpaps in Aust vs US prices & if you feel aggrieved then write to Resmed - you know where Bella Vista is !!!
(I recently checked the prices of an Aust S9 ASV machine from local sources vs one from the US & I felt sorry for our US friends !. In fact I shut up about it because I didn't want to here them complaining about how we were better off !!! )

DSM
For Cpaps the price in the US is around half what we pay in Australia. I just paid over $A4000 for a VPAP Adapt.
Ozze_dollar

What is the current US price for an S9 ASV ? - I think you will find (but I may be wrong) it is close to $3,500 - $4,000

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:43 pm

Ozze_dollar

Just checked cpap.com price for a Respironics (Phillips) System One ASV & it is $5,500 ! (they don't list the S9 Adapt)

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/PR-Sys ... anced.html

I really don't believe the S9 ASV will be around $2,000 or even $2,500. Where did you get any ASV prices being half the Aust ones ?

DSM

#corrected name of S1

warrain

Post by warrain » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:05 pm

There are a few businesses that buy US products and forward them to Australian customers.

priceusa.com.au is established in Bendigo Australia. It uses a purchasing agent based in Oregon to buy goods on behalf of Price USA customers. Once the goods arrive in Oregon, the agent checks the contents of parcels are what was ordered then ships them on to you. He also can receive goods from multiple stores in US, and repack them into one box to save you postage. The same goes for repacking singel orders into smaller boxes to reduce shipping costs (size rather than weight is the determining factor for shipping costs). Fees are - no sales tax; 2.5% "delivery protection" fee; 20% of the shipping fee (min $10).

If you need to return an order, you will be up for the return shipping cost, however, Price USA offers return protection at a cost of 20% of the shipping cost for any order.

forwardit.us is another with similar services but different fee structures. It is based in Colarado.

I have no personal experience with or interest in either of these organisations. The information above is contained in the September issue of APC magazine.

Cheers
Warrain
Brisbane Australia

Brisbane, Australia

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:05 pm

Warrain

Useful info & I believe it works quite well. I did some further checking on Aust vs US prices & it seems to vary a lot depending on the model machine and as ozzie_dollar says, some cpaps are close to twice the price but here in Oz one can negotiate with some Resmed resellers but you have to be able to walk in the door (they won't do much bargaining over the web).

The issue re pricing though is frustrating for us here in Aust when we see cheaper prices in the US. That is because of the size of the respective markets.

We just had a US originated CostCo store open in Auburn in Sydney & they sell things very cheaply but you have to buy in bulk (& that means lots of the same items at one go). The principle that buying in bulk means lower pricing is well understood & works against us here in our much smaller market (read that as meaning the global cpap market).

But interestingly the dearer machines are not that much dearer here that the US. It is the lower end models that seem to have the bigger price differential.

DSM

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:48 pm

dsm wrote:Ozze_dollar

Just checked cpap.com price for a Respironics (Phillips) System One ASV & it is $5,500 ! (they don't list the S9 Adapt)

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/PR-Sys ... anced.html

I really don't believe the S9 ASV will be around $2,000 or even $2,500. Where did you get any ASV prices being half the Aust ones ?

DSM

#corrected name of S1
Just go to my equipment list and click on my MACHINE
. It is offered by CPAP.com for US$1959. At present the Aust $ is worth more than the US$ so it is at least half.

THAT IS THE MACHINE I PAID OVER A$4000 FOR IN AUSTRALIA.

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:19 am

Resmed nasal masks definitely seem expensive in Australia--I believe the original concern was over the price of Resmed nasal masks. The Resmed Active LT is AU$245.65 at cpapshop.com.au, or US256.63. At cpap.com, the same mask is US$121.00--less than half as much.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:57 am

moresleep wrote:Resmed nasal masks definitely seem expensive in Australia--I believe the original concern was over the price of Resmed nasal masks. The Resmed Active LT is AU$245.65 at cpapshop.com.au, or US256.63. At cpap.com, the same mask is US$121.00--less than half as much.
You have to buy through the internet to get those prices. If you deal direct with Resmed the prices are higher.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:11 pm

Just purchased a new Resmed mirage Softgel Nasal Mask on e bay. The seller was in the US. Its a complete mask and cushion and straps for A$79.00.
In Australia this would cost around A$280.00.
Lets hope its alright when it arrives.

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:30 am

That is a disgusting difference in price. You can also use allofcraigs.com to search craigslist.com in the major us cities for grey market dealers. A search on "cpap masks" will bring up several that are selling new, sealed masks. If the ad doesn't make it clear, you should always ask whether the mask is "factory sealed."