Как вы считаете

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
paiblyfloophy

Как вы считаете

Post by paiblyfloophy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:44 am

Все привет. Как вы считаете дефолт в США будет или нет?

TalonNYC

Re: Как вы считаете

Post by TalonNYC » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:05 am

Alright, it reads "Greetings, do you think the US will default or not" - I call spam on this one, but I would be open to other opinions...

Otter

Post by Otter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:20 am

Yeah. It's completely OT, not in English, and from an unregistered user. Bot spam. It was probably supposed to have a link to some shady "investment" site. I'll do the honors.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:49 am

Otter wrote:I'll do the honors.
Too late. The thread has already been made permanent by the member posts.

Otter

Post by Otter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:52 am

Guest wrote:
Otter wrote:I'll do the honors.
Too late. The thread has already been made permanent by the member posts.
Yes, but if there is a hidden link there, at least Google won't index it now.

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:57 am

Otter wrote:Yes, but if there is a hidden link there, at least Google won't index it now.
You can't be serious.

Otter

Post by Otter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:15 am

LoQ wrote:
Otter wrote:Yes, but if there is a hidden link there, at least Google won't index it now.
You can't be serious.
Yes, on the outside chance there is a way for an unregistered user to embed a link, or there is any other possible benefit to a spammer from letting these things hang around, I deleted the post. You seem to have a problem with this, but I'm not sure why.

Vader

Post by Vader » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:56 am

Guest wrote: Too late. The thread has already been made permanent by the member posts.
seeing that it is already too late, we gotta admit the OP really has such a cool name : "paiblyfloophy"!

....it just rolls off the tongue!

Vader

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:25 am

TalonNYC wrote:Alright, it reads "Greetings, do you think the US will default or not" - I call spam on this one, but I would be open to other opinions...
Since this has already gotten bumped up to the top of the page, I'll offer my opinion:

When people come across a topic that is obvious spam -- and you can just about bet that if the topic title and the starting post are written in the characters of a foreign language, especially Russian, it IS spam -- the thing to do is simply click the "Report Spam" button at the upper right of the spamming post. Then it disappears, topic title and all.

Or just ignore the post (don't make a reply commenting about it) and someone else will probably come along and delete it.

If anyone has already posted a reply before the spam post is deleted, the topic title does not disappear, even if the post itself gets deleted as spam.

Another type of "spam" post that often appears on this forum and should be either ignored (don't reply to it at all) or "spam buttoned" are posts that say nothing more than "Hi." I know everyone wants to be friendly and hates to see a newcomer get ignored, but a post that contains only "Hi" or "Hello" and doesn't have anything in it talking about "cpap" or sleep apnea, is almost surely spam.

Posts that add a little bit more than "Hi" -- supposedly complimenting the site -- are almost always spam. Example: "Hello, new here! Nice site!!"

If someone tries to be nice and reply to a "Hi" post with something like "Welcome to the board!" that just keeps the spam title there even when another person spam-buttons the original spamming "Hi" (or variation on "Hi") post into the trash can.

If you suspect, even strongly, that a post might be spam, but you're in doubt... it's better to ignore the post. Don't hit the "Report Spam" button on it. Someone else will. But especially... don't post a reply to it.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Otter

Post by Otter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:16 am

You know, if the board could be configured to not to allow any post from an unregistered user that has a link, we'd get a lot less spam. Right now, the links get deleted, but the post goes though. Wouldn't it be nice if the the bots got bounced back to the edit screen with a message, "We're sorry, but to prevent spam, unregistered users can not post links. Please log in, register, or remove all urls from your post." A bot designed to post spam links anonymously wouldn't be configured to do any of those things, and so it would just move on. I think this would stop 90% or more of the posts we're deleting.

Mike6977

Post by Mike6977 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:47 pm

rested gal wrote: If anyone has already posted a reply before the spam post is deleted, the topic title does not disappear, even if the post itself gets deleted as spam.
Even worse, you could end up with ownership of the post.

I replied to a Russian post (on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:04 am ) by running it through Google translate and posting the results. Turns out the post was a comically sad attempt at spam.

A day later, the topic title: "Продам микронаушник " is still on the board, with my name attached as the poster!

And no, I don't how to enlarge anyone's penis.

Alshain

Post by Alshain » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:58 pm

Otter wrote:You know, if the board could be configured to not to allow any post from an unregistered user that has a link, we'd get a lot less spam. Right now, the links get deleted, but the post goes though. Wouldn't it be nice if the the bots got bounced back to the edit screen with a message, "We're sorry, but to prevent spam, unregistered users can not post links. Please log in, register, or remove all urls from your post." A bot designed to post spam links anonymously wouldn't be configured to do any of those things, and so it would just move on. I think this would stop 90% or more of the posts we're deleting.

I don't know why they allow unregistered users to post at all. The first thing everybody suggests when a Guest posts a problem is 1. Register 2. Fill out your machine info. It should simply disallow Guest posts all together IMO.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:03 pm

This must be the best deleted thread I've ever read.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

Haven't laughed this much in a while

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:23 pm

ameriken wrote:This must be the best deleted thread I've ever read.
I have to agree. It's just good entertainment, that's what.

Resister

Post by Resister » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:34 pm

Oh, rats. The Russian letters on my keyboard are busted.

Is everyone sure it's not a cry for C-Pap help from a hosehead in mother Russia?
~Mama is happy when she sleeps with Pap-py~