hyperventalation?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bipapwife

hyperventalation?

Post by bipapwife » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:42 pm

What would cause someone using a VPAP to breathe very rapidly as though they are hyperventalating.
My husband is using a ResMed VPap S with the humidifier set at 1 and a Mirage Quatro mask.
The mask does not leak (it's new) and everything else seem to be OK. This doesn't go on all night, he just has episodes of this fast breathing.
He did not do this with is older machine. He's had this one for less than a year.

Julie

Re: hyperventalation?

Post by Julie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:30 am

Hi, if it is not related to the machine (and how would you necessarily know?) he should talk to his doctor because something else could be causing the problem.

borgready

Post by borgready » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:56 am

Do you have data collection on your machine? Post it if you do.
Does it show waveform data?
Do you have an O2 meter? How is the O2 levels?
Is there dreaming involved?
Is he awake or asleep when it happens.
Any problems breathing?

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:32 am

bipapwife wrote:What would cause someone using a VPAP to breathe very rapidly as though they are hyperventalating.
My husband is using a ResMed VPap S with the humidifier set at 1 and a Mirage Quatro mask.
The mask does not leak (it's new) and everything else seem to be OK. This doesn't go on all night, he just has episodes of this fast breathing.
He did not do this with is older machine. He's had this one for less than a year.
bipapwife, Some thoughts on this ...

Am going to assume it is a normal Vpap S set in bilevel spontaneous mode. The one way I know how to induce hyperventilation with this machine is by having the gap between ipap & epap (breath in - breathe out) set wider than it should be & possibly the epap set too low as well.

If you have any info on the settings that would help, but my best advice is to check with his doc.

Good luck

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

bipapwife

Post by bipapwife » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:38 pm

dsm wrote:
bipapwife wrote:What would cause someone using a VPAP to breathe very rapidly as though they are hyperventalating.
bipapwife, Some thoughts on this ...

Am going to assume it is a normal Vpap S set in bilevel spontaneous mode. The one way I know how to induce hyperventilation with this machine is by having the gap between ipap & epap (breath in - breathe out) set wider than it should be & possibly the epap set too low as well.

If you have any info on the settings that would help, but my best advice is to check with his doc.

Good luck

DSM
How would we go about resetting the ipap-epap gap....we need to know these things. He has no sleep Dr and our DME is not that great either.
Thanks for any help you can give.

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:28 pm

bipapwife

You really do need professional advice on this. It is too risky to start changing his settings on an online forum.
We don't know enough about his current settings nor his state of health.

Try the DME or Doc 1st. The cost of a visit to them is worth his health - armed with some good questions that we can help you formulate.
But, we need to know current settings & any health issues + type of mask.

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)