S8 Escape 2 questions..

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pfd161

S8 Escape 2 questions..

Post by pfd161 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:22 am

Was given this machine and want to use it for a back up... price was right...FREE! Also came with 2 ultra mirage 2 masks and about a dozen replacement parts for the masks.... all brand new. I know this machine doesn't do data but other than that is it a decent travel machine? will be using it 2 nights/week at the fire house. thanks!

Dennis

cflame1

Re: S8 Escape 2 questions..

Post by cflame1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:26 am

it's a single pressure machine... so if you're using Auto on your Auto then you'll have to figure out what to set it at...

But the machine should be a good machine.

pfd161

Post by pfd161 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:33 am

cool. already set it to my pressure...11 .
anyone have a suggestion as to where to set the epr at? i set it at 2... this is just exhalation relief correct?
thanks.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:45 am

are you using EPR with your current machine... if so start with that value.

Arjis02

Post by Arjis02 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:31 pm

Yes, EPR stands for Expiratory Pressure Relief. The S8 is a great machine. They are very durable and reliable. I know people that have had it for 5 years and it still works well! If you are comfortable with the settings of your current machine, set the EPR to the same setting. Otherwise, try each setting and see what feels most comfortable for you.

dsm

Post by dsm » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:42 pm

pfd161 wrote:cool. already set it to my pressure...11 .
anyone have a suggestion as to where to set the epr at? i set it at 2... this is just exhalation relief correct?
thanks.
The escape with EPR is a great machine. It is in its own way a mini bilevel. EPR allows you to dial up two levels of pressure, inhale & exhale.

If you set the machine to say 11 CMs of pressure & set EPR = 3, then on exhale the pressure drops to 8 CMs. If EPR is set to 2, the pressure drops to 9 CMs.
An excellent comfort feature. If it is an easy breathe version that adds a very comfortable breathing waveform (the sharkfin wave form) which was designed to more closely mimic how air flows as we breathe during sleep.

I would happily travel with one of these (in fact I did until 2 years ago). Kind of wish I still had it.

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:00 pm

I would turn off EPR entirely unless you're uncomfortable without it. Use the least bit of EPR you can.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.