The Nuts and Bolts of PAP therapy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pad A Cheek
Location: Virginia, In the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains

The Nuts and Bolts of PAP therapy

Post by Pad A Cheek » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:43 am

This is a webinar I attended given by Philips Respironics Aug 2 2011. Dr. Colleen Lance gives a great talk with Power Point presentation going over the variety of machines and the correct patient for each of the different designed machines. She teaches what is happening with patients that deal with sleep/breathing issues. It is a great talk for those of you with complex sleep apnea as well as the "normal" obstructive sleep apnea. I learned a lot from this talk and if this is something you are interested in, by all means it is worth your time.

You do need to sign up to view the archive, and you may have to make up your own Company name, but I do not think that matters, you just have to put something in that blank.

Let me know what you all think of it.
https://knowhow.webex.com/knowhow/lsr.p ... 9af1776b63

Madalot, this has some very good information specifically for your type of issues. I hope it helps.

Karen

Last edited by Pad A Cheek on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And I think to myself...... What a Wonderful World

ameriken

Re: The Nuts and Bolts of PAP therapy

Post by ameriken » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks for posting, I'll check this out tonite since I use an ASV for a potpourri of issues. I'll let you know what i think of it tonite/tomorrow.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Karen,

Good post - a worthwhile presentation. Explained quite well & should work for most people even if in a couple of places it may get technical.

I would highly recommend it to Paper_Nanny to listen to the info regarding AVAPS with a backup rate. There may be something of value in it for her.

What was really interesting to me is how the new Respironics ASV now uses pressure pulse probing to test for openairway apneas (OSA vs CA). And uses this info to adjust epap. (I am guessing but don't know, if the newest Resmed ASV does the similar with FOT pulses).

The other aspect is how fast & much the algorithms are changing in these machines. We really are seeing a big leap forward again.

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:46 pm

Who is webex and what will they with my email?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

rippersmom

Post by rippersmom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Karen,

I haven't posted here for quite a while, but I log in and read posts every now and then, just to see what's going on in the XPAP world.

Thanks for the link to the webinar. Very informative for sure. I was surprised at the advances just within the past couple of years. I am still using my original CPAP machine and it's working fine. As you can see from my profile info, I've been a hosehead for a while. I am 100% compliant by the way . If I am in bed, the mask is on and the machine is running. Always.

For you new folks struggling with your therapy, do not give up, get a different mask, try a full face mask instead of a nasal mask, keep trying until you find the right combination. It's your life you are saving and yes, it is worth the effort!

Nancy in AZ
Retirement Rocks!

Pad A Cheek
Location: Virginia, In the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains

Post by Pad A Cheek » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:00 am

Ozij,

Webex is just an online conference site. If you do not want to give them your regular email, give them one you don't check as often.

It is a very informative presentation covering machines and patients that I have not found freely available. I know that I learned a lot from it.

Karen