Frustrated with waiting

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
indyredsfan

Frustrated with waiting

Post by indyredsfan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:40 am

I had a sleep study followed a week later by a titration study. I have yet to see the sleep doctor. Following the titration study I was given an appointment with the doctor for almost 4 weeks later. I was told this is the earliest they could get me in since the doctor was going on vacation. I am eager to start therapy because I am tired of being so sleepy every day. I am wondering if I should try to get records of my sleep study and go see another doctor to get a CPAP prescription. Has anyone else had a similar situation? Advice?

LSAT

Re: Frustrated with waiting

Post by LSAT » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:42 am

You should be entitled to copies of your sleep study under the federal health care portability law. You can see ANY doctor you choose.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:28 am

Sometimes it takes several months to get your results and your gear......patience is the key here. I know you feel like you are going to get more damage done to your heart and lungs while you are waiting.....but you have been this way for years, so whats another 4 weeks. I had my study done Feb 9th..didn't get my machine until April 13th..thats 2 months.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:52 am

indyredsfan wrote:I had a sleep study followed a week later by a titration study. I have yet to see the sleep doctor. Following the titration study I was given an appointment with the doctor for almost 4 weeks later. I was told this is the earliest they could get me in since the doctor was going on vacation. I am eager to start therapy because I am tired of being so sleepy every day. I am wondering if I should try to get records of my sleep study and go see another doctor to get a CPAP prescription. Has anyone else had a similar situation? Advice?
I'm in the VA system and things move a little slow. Last November, my primary doc scheduled a consult with the sleep doctor. The earliest appointment was in January. The sleep doctor decided that I might have severe sleep apnea and scheduled the study and told me it could be 3 to 5 months before I get it. I called the sleep lab and asked if they would call me if they had a cancellation. They did, and I got the study in February. Two weeks later the doctor called back and said I needed a second study. The lab called to set up my appointment for May 31. Again I asked if they had any cancellations, he said 'yes, we do' and got me in April 30. The doctor called back 3 weeks later and said 'yes, severe sleep apnea' and he's ordering the machine. The machine came in June. 7 months from start to finish.

I think someone else here in the forum had to wait 8 months. So yes, I understand the frustration.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

Resister

Post by Resister » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:11 am

It was Dec 23 when I went in for my study. Got the pressure set on my machine last week.

Fingers crossed for you!
~Mama is happy when she sleeps with Pap-py~

codinqueen

Post by codinqueen » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:22 am

Why can't the sleep Dr order your CPAP and supplies BEFORE his vacation, and BEFORE your appointment? He knows what you need by looking at your sleep study/titration, of which he probably already has the results. They usually get the results of the study and titration within a week to 10 days after the titration. I saw the sleep Dr in November 2010, my sleep study was done 1/4/11- they were very booked up at end of year when deductibles has been met for many patients, and titration done 1/31/11 and I had my machine 2/16/11, 2 months before next my appt with the sleep Dr. and within 2 weeks of my titration. At the sleep Dr follow-up appt he was able to ask me how my CPAP therapy was going and if I had any problems. I would try to get the machine ordered before his vacation if you can. Good luck!

Pressure 6-10 cm

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:59 am

Resister wrote:It was Dec 23 when I went in for my study. Got the pressure set on my machine last week.

Fingers crossed for you!
THAT'S REDICULOUS...Why did YOU let it drag on so long?

AmIawake

Post by AmIawake » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:13 am

3 months from making initial appointment to starting treatment. Would have been 2 months except I fired the sleep doc and had to wait 4 weeks to see another one. I had hospital doc referral line try to find someone for me. One doc they tried was booked out for 3 months.

Sleep Apnea clearly is becoming where it's at for the medical field. The demand is there but the supply hasn't caught up. Which is why some sleep docs and DMEs know they don't have to provide true service.

Hang it there. It's doubtful you could make an appointment to see another sleep doc before your scheduled appointment. If you can't wait, your personal doc might prescribe if you bring your a copy of your sleep studies in.

When do I get the t-shirt?

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:46 pm

Count your blessings that you've found us before the DME (and sleep doctor) got their claws into you.

Use the time to read up here on how not to get shafted by the DME into getting a machine that doesn't do data. Find out the things about getting the prescription yourself instead of letting the only copy be sent to a particular DME. Find out if there are multiple DMEs you can use with your insurance. Figure out about what kind of mask to get and what kind of mask exchange policy you can use until you find the right one.

Unfortunately, 4 weeks falls into the "normal" range of waits for appointments these days.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:19 pm

Seconding archangle statement that you should count your blessings about finding us first.

While you're in the hurry up and wait stage of the game, start researching your insurance coverage and the local DMEs. Be sure to read and re-read JanKnitz's What You Need to Know Before You Meet Your DME. Research the machines to figure out what kind YOU want to use. And start calling local DMEs to start interviewing them to decide if they are worthy of the chance to earn your business. A good opening question to ask each DME is: I've been diagnosed with OSA and prescribed a CPAP. If I choose you for my DME, will you be able to set me up with a <name of machine and model of your choice> as my first CPAP machine?

Far too many folks get rushed into things: They are told by the sleep center and/or the doctor that they need to start CPAP immediately and are given NO (apparent) chance to select a DME of their choice. And the DME that is foisted upon them by the sleep center or sleep doctor inevitably hands them a brick and an ill-fitting mask and sends them on their way with little or no patient education or support when the inevitable adjustment issues pop up. And these are the folks who 3 to 6 months later throw their little used CPAP into the closet ...

indyredsfan

Post by indyredsfan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:47 am

Still waiting and still frustrated. I still have a couple weeks before I can get my prescription. How long does it usually take to actually get the equipment from a DME once you have prescription in hand? Next day? Week? More?

I am SO ready to start CPAP therapy. Perhaps it's just in my head now that I've been diagnosed with OSA and had my titration study, but my daytime sleepiness seems to have gotten much worse lately. I can hardly concentrate at work, especially in the afternoons. I've looked into buying used equipment on Craigslist, but so far I've had no luck. I thought about trying to rent one for a few weeks, but I'd need my prescription to do that.

I am grateful for all I've been able to learn from this site. I've determined the machine I want, and I am prepared to deal with the DME to make sure I get the right thing. I just want to get the process started so I can experience some relief.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:27 am

Get a copy of your sleep study and take it to your primary care doctor (if that helps).

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:53 am

indyredsfan wrote:I've looked into buying used equipment on Craigslist, but so far I've had no luck.
Keep watching Craigs List.

Or, if your finances allow, buy the exact machine, humidifier, and mask you want -- out of pocket -- from an online store like cpap.com
It's a good idea to have a back up machine anyway. When you eventually receive a machine from the DME, "your" machine can become your back up machine.

Yes, a prescription is required to buy a CPAP machine from cpap.com .... but... if your family doctor (or just about ANY doctor) is willing to write you a prescription, you're good to go. If your family doctor (or any friendly, cooperative doctor) is willing to do that for you, you don't need a copy of your sleep study for buying a machine yourself online. It's only if you'll be going through insurance and a DME, that the DME probably would need a copy of the sleep study results to prove (to Medicare or insurance) the diagnosis of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Online stores don't require that.

The prescription to buy any CPAP or Autopap you want from cpap.com can be written this simply:
"CPAP @ 10 cm H2O"

The prescription to buy any bilevel or bilevel auto you want from cpap.com can be written this simply:
"bipap @ IPAP 14, EPAP 10"
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

nudave

Post by nudave » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:03 am

indyredsfan wrote:Still waiting and still frustrated. I still have a couple weeks before I can get my prescription. How long does it usually take to actually get the equipment from a DME once you have prescription in hand? Next day? Week? More?
I called the DME the day after my titration. This was Wednesday June 29th. They said they don't have the prescription yet, would keep an eye out for it, and call me on Friday July 1st for an update. That didn't happen. They called me on July 5th, and said the respiratory therapist would call me for an appointment now that they had my prescription. I didn't receive any call, and called them back on Thursday, July 7th and I forced them to set an appointment for me on Monday, July 11th. Received my equipment.

Total time was from titration evening June 28th, prescription received at DME July 5th, and equipment received July 11th. Just under 2 weeks from titration to equipment with a little proactive calling on my part.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:27 am

This has always amazed me: "Mrs. Jones, your test results show severe OSA with O2 Sats in the toilet. You're smothering every night and you must get treated as you are suffering severe organ damage every time you sleep. Now wait 6 weeks for an appointment because it's not convenient to have you interrupt Dr. Moneybag's schedule of financial investing seminars, and after you see him it will only take a few more weeks for us to bother to get the RX to Sucker's paradise DME so you can get your non-data machine ASAP".
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm