My international trip!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WhoDatSleeping

My international trip!

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:07 pm

I am on my first international trip with my CPAP gear! I will be in India all week. I have to say that the experience has been rather painless so far.

I did have to remove the CPAP machine in Detroit and Amsterdam and place it in a bin for TSA. I also took it out in Mumbai but was not told to do such so I am not certain you have to take it out there as well.

The hotel has me hooked up with bottled water so I am good to go.

Alsacienne

Re: My international trip!

Post by Alsacienne » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:06 am

Great news! Thanks for posting and encouraging xPAP users that travel is fine and that life doesn't end with xPAP. Enjoy the rest of your trip and do post a trip report when you get home! Bon voyage!

Laos Film Director

Post by Laos Film Director » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:07 am

I know traveling with a XPAP machine is not a problem. Did you try to use the machine on the plane? I've not heard anything definitive about using CPAP while flying. Is it allowed by the airline?

AndyCelt

Post by AndyCelt » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:33 am

Europe and India? You have to post a picture or two!!! I am so jealous.

I am glad to hear from a fellow traveler that it worked out. I have been more concerned and anxious about adding my CPAP to my travel gear than I probably need to be. Thanks for posting!
If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when? ~ Rabbi Hillel

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:50 am

I did two weeks in Europe last month. ZERO problems with CPAP anywhere we went... Rome, Venice, Florence, Paris, Lucerne, London and Amsterdam. (Cell phones are a different story!)

IMHO, USING CPAP in-flight is way more trouble than it's worth. It CAN be done, with approvals ahead of time (your airline may vary), especially if you want to tap into aircraft power. And lugging a battery around just isn't worth it, to me.

Who sleeps well on an airplane, CPAP or not? And you are semi-upright anyway. I got in a few naps during the long flight. My sweetie reported snoring was minimal.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

AndyCelt

Post by AndyCelt » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:30 am

LinkC wrote:I did two weeks in Europe last month. ZERO problems with CPAP anywhere we went... Rome, Venice, Florence, Paris, Lucerne, London and Amsterdam. (Cell phones are a different story!)

IMHO, USING CPAP in-flight is way more trouble than it's worth. It CAN be done, with approvals ahead of time (your airline may vary), especially if you want to tap into aircraft power. And lugging a battery around just isn't worth it, to me.

Who sleeps well on an airplane, CPAP or not? And you are semi-upright anyway. I got in a few naps during the long flight. My sweetie reported snoring was minimal.
You are right, I do not sleep well on airplanes no matter what. Maybe in 1st class but I'd have to win lotto for that to happen.

I have had the extremely embarrassing and upsetting experience of having a flight attendant awaken me to lecture me that my snoring was annoying my neighboring passengers. I looked round and saw not only my two aisle mates glaring at me but the people across the aisle. It must have been pretty bad so I spent the next three hours of that flight fighting to stay awake. I was very self-conscious and felt quite humiliated although - what could I do to control it? It's not like I have sleep apnea by choice!
If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when? ~ Rabbi Hillel

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:53 am

AndyCelt wrote:
You are right, I do not sleep well on airplanes no matter what. Maybe in 1st class but I'd have to win lotto for that to happen.

I have had the extremely embarrassing and upsetting experience of having a flight attendant awaken me to lecture me that my snoring was annoying my neighboring passengers.
On longer flights, I don't see why the reluctance to use your cpap machine? If they have power and many of the better carriers do have it in economy [Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines], try it. You might actually sleep well. Fortunately I fly business class and have slept multiple times for 5-7 hr stretches....total nirvana

Laos Film Director

Post by Laos Film Director » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:00 am

I'm flying Cathay to Hong Kong tomorrow night. Do I need to conact the airline in advance? I may give it a try. The business class cabins are very private and my CPAP shouldn't distract anybody.

bailachel

Post by bailachel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:03 am

Laos Film Director wrote:I know traveling with a XPAP machine is not a problem. Did you try to use the machine on the plane? I've not heard anything definitive about using CPAP while flying. Is it allowed by the airline?
I used my CPAP while flying from Philadelphia to Barcelona last year. I had used FF miles to upgrade to business class, so I had a seat that reclined almost flat and outlets I could use to plug in the machine which made it easier. However, i would still use it in coach the next time I fly overnight as I also have a battery.

Each airline has their own rules, so you need to check with the airline you are planning to use.

In my case, I needed 3 things:

1) Permission from the airline. This was done over the phone. They had no problem once they understood that I was not bringing bottled oxygen. The permission was noted on my reservation. It was contingent on my bringing a written statement from my doctor that I need to use the CPAP whenever i sleep.

2) Doctor's statement of need. Easy to get. I called the doctor and he mailed it to me. I made a few copies, put one in my CPAP travel bag, packed one elsewhere just to be safe, and left one home for next time.

3) Permission from the pilot. Despite the above, the pilot has the right to veto the use of the CPAP on the flight. I'm not sure why they would, but allow enough time at the gate to explain the situation to the gate agent who will then go and talk to the pilot.

I have never had anyone question the type of battery I have, but make sure that your battery meets the TSA/airline guidelines for acceptable batteries.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:13 am

Laos Film Director wrote:I'm flying Cathay to Hong Kong tomorrow night. Do I need to conact the airline in advance? I may give it a try. The business class cabins are very private and my CPAP shouldn't distract anybody.
Nope, no need to do anything in advance, you're all set.
In business class, it's great, the seats lays completely flat.Plug it into their power outlet, lay back and zzzzzz away!

WhoDatSleeping

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:40 am

Laos Film Director wrote:I know traveling with a XPAP machine is not a problem. Did you try to use the machine on the plane? I've not heard anything definitive about using CPAP while flying. Is it allowed by the airline?

I did not try to use on the plane as I have never been able to sleep on the plane mostly because I can never get comfotable enough even in first class.
As others here have stated, it is best to check with your airline concerning the use of CPAP on the plane. I think most are okay with such but calling the airline would eliminate your concerns.

WhoDatSleeping

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:43 am

AndyCelt wrote:Europe and India? You have to post a picture or two!!! I am so jealous.

I am glad to hear from a fellow traveler that it worked out. I have been more concerned and anxious about adding my CPAP to my travel gear than I probably need to be. Thanks for posting!
Hopefully I can get some personal time in to enjoy the culture!

M.D.Hosehead

Post by M.D.Hosehead » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:04 pm

WhoDatSleeping wrote:
Hopefully I can get some personal time in to enjoy the culture!
---and the curry. Yum!