Polling all Swift FX users

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Do you use the side strap covers for the Swift FX?

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes: 75

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Polling all Swift FX users

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon May 16, 2011 7:01 pm

I never use the covers, ever--the silicone never bothered me.
The covers seemed to be a bit of unnecessary frou-frou to me.
I did tack a bit of fleece to the cheek side of my Comfort gel ff headgear--just to reduce the groove made when my cheek presses into the pillow.
No such issue with the FX.
I may try K-Y on my nares--as long as it's not the 'special' formula.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon May 16, 2011 7:08 pm

I did use the covers supplied with the mask. Then I changed to Padacheek thicker fleece side covers. Never have had any mask stability issues using either. I got the thicker fleece because I end up often on my stomach or way over on my side with face down in the bed pillow and I didn't like the side strap marks on the side of my cheek that was down in the pillow. Just pressure indentation on my cheek. Nothing of great excitement. I just didn't like looking at the indentation the next day.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Mon May 16, 2011 8:32 pm

kempo wrote:
Slartybartfast wrote:Two words:

Panty
Liners

I told you that you wouldn't like it.

see: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60069&p=564377&hili ... rs#p564337

Oh, and K-Y jelly or Astroglide (my preference) absolutely seals the pillows to your nostrils and stops leaks. Use sparingly. A little goes a long way.
Do you apply the Astroglide to your nostrils or the pillows? I might give it a try.

which one do you use? http://www.cheaplubes.com/astroglidelubricant.aspx
I just grabbed the cheapest tube of the stuff I could find. I apply it to the nostrils. If you apply to much it will leak until the Astroglide dries out a little and gums up. Better with just a thin layer. Try it and you'll soon learn how much you need.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Tue May 17, 2011 1:17 pm

scrapper wrote:Are you two one or joined at the hip? I note that most of your posts josecpap, follow lars...

Hey admin, can we get an IP check on isle 5?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue May 17, 2011 1:40 pm

Bob: yummy burger!
Lars: sweet beasts!

scrapper

Post by scrapper » Tue May 17, 2011 2:17 pm

lars4life wrote:Don't want to click on the link. I have trigger finger and it is painful. Besides, I like to feel special
and have people take the extra precious time out of their day and respond to my frivolous requests.
Makes me feel....important!
It's responses and attitudes like this that have driven me nuts and away from the forum most days when I click in.....I really don't have time for such nonsense, but I do like to help the newbies when I can.

I truly hope that you are kidding Lars. I don't want to believe that you are simply this dumb or lazy..........

Last edited by scrapper on Tue May 17, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it.” Charles Swindoll

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 17, 2011 2:31 pm

scrapper wrote: It's responses and attitudes like this that have driven me most days that I click on the forum. I truly hope that you are kidding or simply aren't this dumb or lazy..........
It is also responses like the above and some others that will lead me to simply ignore all comments he makes since it takes time and effort away from someone who might have something meaningful to say or actually need help. I am all for fun and games but some of this stuff is getting old real fast.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

lucynethel1998

Post by lucynethel1998 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:28 pm

Found them too thick and distracting. Had my wife sew some up with SOFT & THIN cotton that just slip on and now perfect for me.

-PLEASE: Fight Cancer & Hunger:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/ ... RXZG0FT7S1

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Tue May 17, 2011 6:15 pm

lucynethel1998 wrote:Found them too thick and distracting. Had my wife sew some up with SOFT & THIN cotton that just slip on and now perfect for me.
You found what too thick and distracting?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

oscar98

Post by oscar98 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:28 pm

robysue wrote:Instead of those thin little strap covers provided with the Swift FX, I use a fleece pad that covers the entire silicone part of the frame made by Padacheek. Keeps that silicone strap from getting tangled in my curly hair and helps pad that place where the backstrap comes into the silicone part of the frame since I find that "hard" when I lie on it when sleeping on my side.
I just looked at her website and only saw a strap cover for the cheek area. Do you have link for the one that covers the whole silicone strap. Where the back and over head strap meet hits me in just the wrong place and causes a bruise when I sleep on my side. I would love to find this strap cover you are talking about.

robysue

Post by robysue » Tue May 17, 2011 10:52 pm

oscar98 wrote:
robysue wrote:Instead of those thin little strap covers provided with the Swift FX, I use a fleece pad that covers the entire silicone part of the frame made by Padacheek. Keeps that silicone strap from getting tangled in my curly hair and helps pad that place where the backstrap comes into the silicone part of the frame since I find that "hard" when I lie on it when sleeping on my side.
I just looked at her website and only saw a strap cover for the cheek area. Do you have link for the one that covers the whole silicone strap. Where the back and over head strap meet hits me in just the wrong place and causes a bruise when I sleep on my side. I would love to find this strap cover you are talking about.
I didn't see it on her page at the time I ordered mine. I sent her an email from her web page and described my problem and asked if she could design something. She said she could and told me exactly how to order it (I've forgotten which pad thing she told me to order) and what to put in the special comments area. Very nice, very professional. And reasonably quick in shipping it---given that mine may have been the first one she made. I'd thought she'd put them on her web page by now since I also ordered a second one some months back so that one could be in the laundry while I wear the second one.

So I'd contact her either here through a PM or through the contact us link at her web page. I really do think that Padacheek will design anything someone can adequately describe if she doesn't have it on her web page and they're willing to give her the time to do it. She's a real godsend for those of us who avoided home ec in the 70s out of a perverse fear of sewing machines ...

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Wed May 18, 2011 9:56 am

I am testing out the Swift FX, since my beloved Headrest is no longer being made.

I truly don't know how this thing can be so popular. Hot and sweaty without the covers, mashing my nose up, pressing on my teeth and giving me a jaw ache, darn near impossible to get a seal on it....

Without the Padacheek side covers and barrel cover, this mask would have gone in the trash after the second night.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

JustWannaGo2Sleep

Post by JustWannaGo2Sleep » Thu May 19, 2011 12:09 am

I got the Swift FX for my last mask because I wear glasses and like to read myself to sleep, something I just cannot easily do with my Comfort Classic. However, the Comfort Classic works marvelously while I sleep and the Swift is annoying. I just can't seem to get enough air with the Swift. I usually wind up falling asleep with the Swift and swapping it out with the Classic when I come back up to near-consciousness after my first or second cycle. I sleep much better with the Classic.

I have another question about the Swift, but I'll ask it in another thread as it's slightly off topic here.

BTW, I wasn't aware that Astroglide was such an, um, handy household item. It will take some time before I'll feel comfortable applying it to my nose.

Oh, there was an original question. I suppose I ought to answer it. I do use the covers. However, I may try an evening without them after reading this thread.

snardo

Post by snardo » Thu May 19, 2011 2:16 pm

I used the Swift FX without the side covers during a recent re-titration study. I think the tech put it on a bit too tight as I woke up with a sore nose and upper gums. I also had red marks on my cheeks ALL DAY the following day. So after getting my new gear earlier this week I am trying out the Swift FX again for kicks - I'm still not sure if I want to give up on my ol' ComfortGel. With the covers and a more loose fit, I'm liking it. No sore nose or mouth and it seems to seal just fine, although I am finding that it does not do as well when I'm on my side. Perhaps a slightly tighter fit might help that. I might try removing the covers this weekend (when I won't risk being "rosy cheeked" at work) to see if that helps with side sleeping.

Of course I was kind of used to not being able to sleep on my side with the ComfortGel anyway, so I'm not sure I've lost anything so far, except that My last ComfortGel lasted a good 18months or so without replacing anything. I doubt I'll be able to say the same for the Swift FX.

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu May 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Kiralynx wrote: I truly don't know how this thing can be so popular. Hot and sweaty without the covers, mashing my nose up, pressing on my teeth and giving me a jaw ache, darn near impossible to get a seal on it....
The mashed nose and sore teeth make it sound like you've got both straps way, way too tight.

When the RT at my DME was fitting me with this mask, "piggy nose" was what she wanted to make sure was NOT happening to me. (I got lucky with an RT who knows how to fit a mask.) She loosened that top strap about 3 times before she was sufficiently happy that the frame was not causing the pillows to mash my nose into a piggy nose.

If the back strap is too tight, that can pull the pillow barrel too far into the upper lip (causing tooth and jaw pain) or the pillows too far into the nostrils or both.

And if the pillow barrel is mashing your nose into a piggy nose or being pushed too far into your upper lip, the pillows will not fully inflate and seal themselves against your nostrils correctly.

For good step-by-step instructions on how to properly fit the Swift FX, look at JanKnitz's Swift FX Fitting Guide.