Resmed S9 Stops Flow

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sthnreb

Re: Resmed S9 Stops Flow

Post by sthnreb » Fri May 13, 2011 3:54 pm

I was disenchanted with my original DME and swapped. The bucks for the DME are really on the machine itself though. I swapped for masks and accessories because of bad service with the first DME. I can't get another machine for 3-1/2 more years with insurance but the first DME will not get anymore monies. I have the Respironics M series auto bipap. I had to pay over $600 out of pocket for it but that was still cheaper than no insurance. The Medicare DME however got over $3500 between insurance and my payments. At the time, I could have purchased the machine new for about $960, they were discontinued. My DME now gets much more for a mask than you can purchase it for on the Internet but my cost is still cheaper. So, what do you do? I still take the cheaper route and let them soak Medicare. Ever wonder why it is going broke? Oops, sorry, hate changing subjects. Hope it works out.

70sSanO

Post by 70sSanO » Fri May 13, 2011 4:06 pm

Instead of dinking around with selecting a full face mask, just go to page 16 of the S9 Manual and clinical setup menu and turn Smartstart off yourself. If that doesn't help, then it is probably a bad unit or power supply or ???

Here is a link...

http://members.cox.net/robelliott1/S9%2 ... %20eng.pdf

John
AHI: 2.5
Central: 1.7
Obstructive: 0.3
Hypopnea: 0.5
Pressure: 6.0-8.0cm on back with cervical collar.
Compliance: 15 Years

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Fri May 13, 2011 5:17 pm

aprildawn97 wrote:you may want to have your machine and it's data checked out
Pragmatically, it seems it may be the DME that needs to be checked out

Cheers,

Bill

lilsleep

Post by lilsleep » Fri May 13, 2011 8:13 pm

your s9 should still be under warrenty and resmed offers a 2 year warrenty, they do a platinum replacement, yours does not get sent in for repair they replace it with a new one, in which it comes with a 2 year warrenty, also any dme can call it in, and resmed will send the replacement one overnite,

sthnreb

Post by sthnreb » Fri May 13, 2011 8:56 pm

Replacement warranties are within the first 30 days. It has to be defective in that time period and returned. Otherwise, the 2 year warranty is with a refurbished machine if not returned within the first 30 days. Refurbished does carry a new 2 year warranty even if it is a year old. I know that to be true with Respironics and probably with Resmed too. I had one fail in the first week but didn't get it returned in the 30 days because of emailing this info and trying to trouble shoot it instead of immediately returning it. I guess it was hard for me to believe a new machine wouldn't work right.

BernieRay

Post by BernieRay » Sat May 14, 2011 4:10 am

sthnreb wrote:Replacement warranties are within the first 30 days. It has to be defective in that time period and returned. Otherwise, the 2 year warranty is with a refurbished machine if not returned within the first 30 days. Refurbished does carry a new 2 year warranty even if it is a year old. I know that to be true with Respironics and probably with Resmed too. I had one fail in the first week but didn't get it returned in the 30 days because of emailing this info and trying to trouble shoot it instead of immediately returning it. I guess it was hard for me to believe a new machine wouldn't work right.
When my Resmed S9 had problem in January (3 months after I bought it), the DME swapped it out the next day with another new machine, no questions.
Ray
Diagnosed in 1997

sthnreb

Post by sthnreb » Sat May 14, 2011 8:31 am

If you in fact did get a new replacement, you are fortunate. The manufacturer only warranties a new replacement for 30 days and then replace with refurbished. The refurbished machine looks and operates as if new and comes packaged the same in most cases. But it is still one that has been returned and repaired/checked out. I've returned machines in the past. One I reported within the 30 day period that would intermittenly stop but let it go past the 30 days before returning and had it replaced with a refurbished. I did complain and ask for a new replacement but was refused. After much bickering and publicizing I got a full refund. (Returned after about 35 days. RMA was put off until after 30 days expired) The company refuses to do business with me now. If you did get a new one, it was by the DME's doing, not manufacturer, they replace with refurbished after 30 days. Are you sure it was new and not refurbished? They look the same with the same warranty. Besides, I'm just stating my experience. You can check the warranty pages and see that it is true for Internet sales.

sthnreb

Post by sthnreb » Sat May 14, 2011 8:38 am

BTW, the warranty begins from the time the machine leaves the manufacturers dock. So, if a company stockpiles machines, they can set on a shelf well past the 30 days. Normally a manufacturer will honor a warranty if it has been shelved and use the delivery to user date as a courtesy. Respironics warranty states that and probably Resmed's too. None of this is really worth debating but mostly for knowledge that most consumers are not aware of. Your manual will have the specific warranty in it.

BernieRay

Post by BernieRay » Sat May 14, 2011 10:47 am

Well, you are wrong about Resmed - it's clearly stated as 2 years in the warranty. Do a search and you'll see that I'm not the only one to have received one, either.
Ray
Diagnosed in 1997

sthnreb

Post by sthnreb » Sat May 14, 2011 11:42 am

It's not important to me. I no longer have warranty issues. A 2 yr warranty with replacement does not imply replacement with a new machine though.

Respirinics, Inc. warrants that the system shall be free from defects of workmanship and materials and will perform in accordance with the product specifications for a period of two years Respironics, Inc. from the date of sale by Respironics, Inc to the dealer. If the product fails to perform in accordance with the product specifications, Respironics, Inc wil repair or replace - at its option - the defective material or part. Respironics, Inc. will pay customary freight charges from Respironics, Inc. to the dealer location only. This warranty does not cover damage caused by accident, misues, abuse, alteration, and other defects not related to material or workmanship.
Respironics, Inc. disclaims all liability for economic loss, loss of profits, overhead, or consequential damages which may be claimed to arise from any sale or use of this product. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitations of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
This warranty is given in lieu of all other express warranties. In addition, any implied warranties - including any warranty of merchantability or fitness for the particular purpose - are limitied to two years. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state.
To exercise your rights under this warranty, contact your local authorized Repironics, Inc. dealer or contact Respironics, Inc.

I'm glad to hear they replaced yours with a new one and not refurbished. As stated, I just gave my specifics and dealings on the matter. Unlike many, I have been found to be wrong once or twice and neither was worth much argument. I stated the facts concerning my stop/start problems and findings. Hence, my final concerning this. The main thing is that you are satisified with what you have and your DME. Whether they replaced it with used, refurbished, new or whatever is of no consequence. Just your satisfaction. Hopefully you will now have a happy AHI.
Have a great weekend!