Side sleepers please chime in

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sparky223

Side sleepers please chime in

Post by Sparky223 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:21 am

Which mask do you wear? I am currently using a resmed mirage micro mask. Its a pretty nice mask, but it starts out great then leaks bad in the middle of the night. I like that style of mask and would like to try something similar.

old dude

Re: Side sleepers please chime in

Post by old dude » Thu May 12, 2011 9:35 am

I've successfully used the Breeze mask for many years.

lucynethel1998

Post by lucynethel1998 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:55 am

5 full faces masks I have do NOT work. Mouth breather I have succeeded with only:
-The Mirage SoftGel nasal mask
-Swift FX

Both with using Russ Macmillans Ultimate chinstrap. Had 5 other brands of chinstrap that would do NOTHING for me.

-PLEASE: Fight Cancer & Hunger:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/ ... RXZG0FT7S1

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu May 12, 2011 9:57 am

Not your style of mask, but the Swift FX pillows work well for me.

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Thu May 12, 2011 9:58 am

I've been using a Mirage Quattro FFM very successfully. I start out on my back (from years of habit) but *always* end up on my side. I have found that a buckwheat pillow helps a lot. I used one for many years before CPAP, so I was well used to it when I started therapy. Basically the buckwheat hulls conform to your head as you move, including the mask contours.

Just my personal experiences, but I hope it helps.

navyvet72

Post by navyvet72 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:59 am

Because I am a mouth breather, I use the Quattro FX FF mask, it does leak some but not as bad as when I started the CPAP, I do like it but may explore the nasal pillows when I get my next mask. I start on my back and end up on my left side.

lars4life

Post by lars4life » Thu May 12, 2011 10:04 am

Last edited by lars4life on Mon May 23, 2011 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

indalrc

Post by indalrc » Thu May 12, 2011 10:15 am

I am a side sleeper. I use a ResMed Activa LT - a nasal mask. Both the Activa and the Activa LT have a fold (bellows/accordion) in the face cushion part. So when you move, the fold rather than the seal shifts. Also, because of the extra flexibility of the fold, if you feel a small leak, you just need to push on that spot and things will shift enough to close it up. This is rather than lifting and repositioning the whole mask.

The difference between the Activa and the Activa LT is in the size of the fold. My face is small. The Activa's fold is larger and extended below my lip. The plastic frame part of the mask is the same for both. Either cushion fits. I also need the small size in the headgear portion of the mask. I got a much more stable arrangement once I acquired the small. (Had some grief from my DME who would not order the correct size so finally just bought it myself.)

I also find that I need to replace the cushion about every 4 to 6 weeks. The silica begins to break down and then it slides more readily on my skin - creating leak issues. The medicare guidelines are a new mask every 6 months, but allow the cushion to be replaced monthly. My frame is now about 2-3 years old. I just keep replacing the cushion.

I usually tuck my hose up, over and behind my head under the pillow but, if it is really cold, will run it under the covers up towards my face. I prefer the former because it is easier to roll over. I am blessed with my small face/mouth because when my tongue is relaxed it just lifts to the palette and I nose-breath. Thus I do not need to wrestle with the array of issues/remedies needed by people who need to mouth-breath.

Like most on this site, I had adjustment problems of the usual sorts you read about here. But over all CPAP has been great for me. Have been on a machine since Dec. 2007.

MsBea

Post by MsBea » Thu May 12, 2011 10:19 am

My mask is a Zest nasal mask as seen below. I've had good luck with it as a side sleeper.

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Thu May 12, 2011 10:27 am

I'm a side sleeper and pillow slasher.
I use UM FFM, exclusively.
I've tried every pillow out there.....
this is the best, IMNSHO.
Memory foam pillow purchased wherever you can find it on sale,
modified to my specifications. Side cutouts fit the mask,
cutout in the middle fits onto your shoulder to hold it in place.
Works very well.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

owba

Post by owba » Thu May 12, 2011 11:50 am

I gave the Mirage Quattro FX a good try for a week. Could not get it to keep from breaking seal when I would move to my side. Any side pressure on my head moved my checks enough to cause seal issues around the bridge of my nose. I even bought a $65 CPAP pillow with cutouts like the one pictured above to help as I really had high hopes for the mask but it didnt help. I went back to my DME to see what else I could try and was going to give the Mirage Quattro a try thinking the forehead piece would keep the nose of the mask sealed to my nose. Instead I went home with the Swift FX nasal pillow and headgear. I didnt think i'd be like nasal pillows as I had heard the incoming pressure felt increased and it was harder to exhale into the pillows due to the small holes in the pillows. What a differnce, I can sleep on my side all night and not worry about anything. The headgear is very loose and is only there to hold the pillow below my nose, it seals itself. You want to use the largest size you can get away with because of the larger holes. Makes it more comfortable due to the two reason I didnt think i'd like it. I started with the medium and wore it for two weeks, then gave the large a try and it was much better. The incoming air pressure felt softer and exhaling into the larger holes was easier as well. I tried to go back to the medium one night when I had gotten lazy on cleaning my large, but had to stick with the large once I got used to it. I thought a full face mask would be the way to go and ended up at the complete opposite side of the mask spectrum. The key is to keep trying different masks till you find the one that works for you.

Bluecat

Post by Bluecat » Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 am

I have a Zest nasal mask and a side sleeper (I usually turn over once during the night, mostly left side to right side). I have very low leaks.

snuginarug

Post by snuginarug » Thu May 12, 2011 12:27 pm

I am a side sleeper. I use the Mirage Softgel nasal mask. I stagger my pillows, and hang half my face off the top pillow, with the lower pillow supporting my forehead/cheek area. I snuggle around until the pressure of the mask against the bottom pillow holds the mask in a sealed position. This works because the vents are in the center of the mask, not the sides. I move around a bit in sleep, but do not flip sides. The movement of snuggling up in different positions does not create leaks for me, the mask stays sealed.

HOWEVER I would MUCH prefer nasal pillows. I tried them out and , except for the darned leaking, they were great. They leaked on me because my nares are too long and narrow, not because of any flaw in the nasal pillow design. Just my funky nares. *sigh*

Sparky223

Post by Sparky223 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Looks like alot of people who side sleep use FFM. I don't need one of those. I am looking for something like the one I have now, but may seal better. I have used the Zest and that did not go well.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu May 12, 2011 2:36 pm

I am a confirmed side sleeper. I sleep exclusively on my right side, all night, every night. Early in the morning I occasionally turn over for a little while, but I always end up back on my right side.

The best sealing and most comfortable side sleeping mask ever is the Swift FX. By a landslide. If you sleep exclusively on your side as I do, a trick is to fit it while lying on your side. I find that loosening the straps just slightly on the pillow side of my head and tightening them just slightly on the opposite side compensates for any pushing the pillow does against the mask.

That said, I've been sleeping in the Quattro for many months now. If it's PROPERLY adjusted, it is actually not bad for side sleeping. By properly adjusted, I mean that it must be VERY loose around the nose, so that the air can fill the cushion. (See "Taming the Mirage Quattro" in my signature). The bottom by your chin has to be tighter, to hold it's position. That way, the cushion aroung your nose can move slightly from the pressure of the pillow and still seal well. When I do feel a little leakage around the top of my nose, I just snuggle my head in a little more toward the pillow and that stops the leaking. I do use Padacheek's liner AND the anti-leak strap. I know you're not considering a FF mask, but this might help someone who needs one because of mouth leakage.

I have a memory foam "orthopedic" pillow with a kind of ditch in the middle. I try to aim the mask for that ditch, so there's less pressure against it in my side lying position.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm