FINALLY Found A Chinstrap That WORKS!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lucynethel1998

Re: FINALLY Found A Chinstrap That WORKS!

Post by lucynethel1998 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:19 am

SleepingUgly wrote:
lucynethel1998 wrote: Thank you. I may just go with 2 inch though? Seems like 3" may go from my nose to bottom of my chin? Amazon shows the 2" for a roll art about $11.17. Hope that is about the correct price?
I found the 2" roll at Walmart for ~$10 or so. I'm a little concerned about using it given the chemical warnings we discussed on that other thread (that and I'd really like to not have to tape).

This is why I never tried painters tape. I have had enough chemical poisoning with Agent Orange....I wish I wasn't a try EVERYTHING kind of guy sometimes. My wife has some 1 inch. I may just try to "layer" a couple pieces to get near 2-3 inch width & try that. Just creeps me out, the chemical part. At least with my paper tape I had NO chemical worries. But no skin the next morning either....And I NEVER want to see my wifes face again like that 1st morning when she came running when I began my SCREAMING pulling off that tape!

-PLEASE: Fight Cancer & Hunger:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/ ... RXZG0FT7S1

jonnybee

Post by jonnybee » Wed May 11, 2011 1:23 pm

I still use the 2" 3M Micropore. Works good for me although it appears to have fallen out of favor and most are using the painter's tape.
ResMed S9 Autoset
ResMed AirFit F20 mask with headgear

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed May 11, 2011 1:44 pm

Try the ICHC chinstrap.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Wed May 11, 2011 1:49 pm

Lucy....

From a sealing standpoint, the 3" Blue tape is better because there is more adhesive area...to help prevent "blow-off". Our purpose is to keep pressure inside....sorta like putting tape on the outside of a leaking bicycle tire. The pressure inside is trying to blow the tape off....and the adhesive is trying to prevent that. For me, 2" just won't work.

Sleeping.....

I don't know how to describe the tape removal process any different than I have done already. But, here's a way to see what I'm trying to get across.

Take a 10" piece of 3" Blue tape....fold each end down 1/2" to make a set of handles.....and attach the tape to your kitchen counter. Make sure all of the adhesive is securely pushed against the counter-top....so that the tape is stuck....all over....to the counter-top.

Now...grab one tape end ("handle") and begin removing the tape. DO NOT pull away from the counter-top. Pull PARALLEL to the counter-top...directly toward the other end of the tape....so that the tape you've un-peeled is sliding over the top of the tape that's still attached. Pull sideways...across the counter-top...not away from it.

G

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Wed May 11, 2011 2:34 pm

I actually only use the 1" blue painter's tape, but I'm only on 8cm pressure. It works great.
I just bought some of the 1" 3M micropore tape. I hope that works as well, but doesn't stick like the Curad paper tape did. Man, that was painful! And I had glue around my mouth for hours.
I'm also going to try another tape that someone here recommended (sorry I forget who....but thanks!). If nothing works as well as the blue tape, then I'm just going to stay with it and assume its a risk I have to take, in order to get sleep.
I've developed what seems like a tiny white wart on my bottom lip and I'm wondering if its from covering my lip up every night. Bummer. That too, is still worth it for a good nights sleep!

lucynethel1998

Post by lucynethel1998 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Gerald wrote:Lucy....

From a sealing standpoint, the 3" Blue tape is better because there is more adhesive area...to help prevent "blow-off". Our purpose is to keep pressure inside....sorta like putting tape on the outside of a leaking bicycle tire. The pressure inside is trying to blow the tape off....and the adhesive is trying to prevent that. For me, 2" just won't work.

Sleeping.....

I don't know how to describe the tape removal process any different than I have done already. But, here's a way to see what I'm trying to get across.

Take a 10" piece of 3" Blue tape....fold each end down 1/2" to make a set of handles.....and attach the tape to your kitchen counter. Make sure all of the adhesive is securely pushed against the counter-top....so that the tape is stuck....all over....to the counter-top.

Now...grab one tape end ("handle") and begin removing the tape. DO NOT pull away from the counter-top. Pull PARALLEL to the counter-top...directly toward the other end of the tape....so that the tape you've un-peeled is sliding over the top of the tape that's still attached. Pull sideways...across the counter-top...not away from it.

G
I am pretty sure I completely understand the removal (my name is Mike actually), you remove by rolling either END over itself sideways as opposed to yanking the tape off outwards. Just fold it off so to speak, end over end as you go...MY problem is I can't find the 3 inch! Inly 1 & 2 inch. I also only have a very different 1 inch 3M painters tape in my garage so not sure I can "assemble" a proper test tonight? Given I do so well with Russ's chinstrap, I may have to wait to buy the 3M tape? But not finding any that seems unlikely

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed May 11, 2011 4:31 pm

lucynethel1998 wrote: (my name is Mike actually)
Kinda makes you wish you hadn't named yourself lucy 'n ethel, huh?!
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

lucynethel1998

Post by lucynethel1998 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:39 am

SleepingUgly wrote:
lucynethel1998 wrote: (my name is Mike actually)
Kinda makes you wish you hadn't named yourself lucy 'n ethel, huh?!
Well.....LONG story short, they are my cats and run my life.

lucynethel1998

Post by lucynethel1998 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:44 am

Gerald wrote:Lucy....

Sleeping.....

G
OK I tried using my 3M blue painters tape. Took the 2" & added to make it 3". It was however not the exact model you use, I used model 3M 2090 Scotch-Blue Painter's Masking Tape for Multi-Surfaces. I lasted less than 15 minutes! NO way I can tape. Maybe combat related? Maybe I'm just a nut.....NO way. From taste to pulling & pinching, I felt like I was being tortured again. Man, I REALLY don't see how folks do that? But I tried it. Sure would be a nice unencumbered way to shut my mouth if it HAD worked......

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Thu May 12, 2011 8:48 am

OK, Mike.....

So, how'ya gonna do it? There's pressure in your mouth trying to escape. If it escapes, your therapy is neutralized.

3M 3" #2080-EL is what a bunch of us use. It tastes yucky for a minute or two....requires about 15-seconds to remove without discomfort....and it gets the job done.

If you can find a better way, all of us are interested. I'll chunk the tape in a heartbeat if I can find something better. That's why I spent $120 to test the chinstrap.

The strap works for some...the tape works for some.....and the end result is no mouth farts....better therapy....lower BP...and fewer strokes.

Git-r-done.

lucynethel1998

Post by lucynethel1998 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:03 am

Gerald wrote:OK, Mike.....

So, how'ya gonna do it? There's pressure in your mouth trying to escape. If it escapes, your therapy is neutralized.

3M 3" #2080-EL is what a bunch of us use. It tastes yucky for a minute or two....requires about 15-seconds to remove without discomfort....and it gets the job done.

If you can find a better way, all of us are interested. I'll chunk the tape in a heartbeat if I can find something better. That's why I spent $120 to test the chinstrap.

The strap works for some...the tape works for some.....and the end result is no mouth farts....better therapy....lower BP...and fewer strokes.

Git-r-done.

Well for me it is sticking with this chinstrap. It flat works for me. When the night temps hit the hight 70's & 80's all bets are off since I haven't had to deal with that yet. But any day now. I have ZERO leaks & my cheeks don't puff out with the chinstrap. With the tape my cheeks kept ballooning out as well? Maybe I did something wrong? Did 10 inches & measured actually too. And my tape hurt something awful still as well but was NOT the 2080 but the 2090. And I can't even find 3" listed anywhere online, but see the 2" everywhere? Tried what I had since I can't even afford another $11.00 to try the 2" & then have to toss it if it fails. This process is very expensive in both money AND frustration.....

Mebake

Post by Mebake » Tue May 17, 2011 11:36 am

interesting idea but for 66.00 bucks not sure its worth the risk

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Tue May 17, 2011 11:42 am

And the owner has not responded to my email.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Vader

Post by Vader » Tue May 17, 2011 12:31 pm

archangle wrote:Try the ICHC chinstrap.

To quote the faux redneck, Larry the Cable Guy:
"I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there"

Vader

lucynethel1998

Post by lucynethel1998 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:36 pm

OutaSync wrote:And the owner has not responded to my email.
Haver you tried calling his 800 number? When I got my 2nd chinstrap he said he had been sick. Please note here if he flakes out on you! Also if not? I really like to know how well someone stand behind their product. Especially one I love. Before I every buy a bunch of something only to later find that old feeling of "uh oh". Guess I'm lucky to have at least found something that helps me. Of course the really HOT weather has not yet hit.....