Is a long hangover effect from melatonin possible?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepingUgly

Is a long hangover effect from melatonin possible?

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed May 11, 2011 11:44 am

Given the short half life of melatonin, is it possible to have be groggy/tired all the next day due to melatonin, or is that unlikely the culprit?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

LSAT

Re: Is a long hangover effect from melatonin possible?

Post by LSAT » Wed May 11, 2011 11:59 am

I use 3mg every night with no after effects in the AM.

Bright Choice

Post by Bright Choice » Wed May 11, 2011 12:58 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:Given the short half life of melatonin, is it possible to have be groggy/tired all the next day due to melatonin, or is that unlikely the culprit?
That has definitely been true for me. In the past I did ok on 1.5 mgm but 3 mgm gave me a hangover.

lucynethel1998

Post by lucynethel1998 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:03 pm

I have taken 3 MG tabs every night for over 20 years. I take either 2, 3 or sometimes 4 & NEVER had any hangover. But my sister takes a single in cut in half and does. It certainly won't hurt anyone that I know of.

-PLEASE: Fight Cancer & Hunger:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/ ... RXZG0FT7S1

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed May 11, 2011 1:49 pm

People's reactions to melatonin seem to vary all over the place. I think you simply have to experiment and figure out what works or doesn't for yourself.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed May 11, 2011 4:01 pm

archangle wrote:People's reactions to melatonin seem to vary all over the place. I think you simply have to experiment and figure out what works or doesn't for yourself.
That is not easy to do because my EDS is variable, so it's hard to know whether I would have been tired that day anyway, or whether it's a medication effect.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

lars4life

Post by lars4life » Wed May 11, 2011 4:07 pm

Last edited by lars4life on Mon May 23, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

lucynethel1998

Post by lucynethel1998 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:08 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:
archangle wrote:People's reactions to melatonin seem to vary all over the place. I think you simply have to experiment and figure out what works or doesn't for yourself.
That is not easy to do because my EDS is variable, so it's hard to know whether I would have been tired that day anyway, or whether it's a medication effect.
Well this is just an opinion based upon MY experience, but I ALWAYS sleep more & BETTER with melatonin. So that has got to be a worthwhile consideration? I mean, I always feel better with any longer & better sleep than without. And melatonin promotes vivid dreaming so that also adds to my sharpness next day.

-PLEASE: Fight Cancer & Hunger:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/ ... RXZG0FT7S1

remstarcpap

Post by remstarcpap » Thu May 12, 2011 12:46 am

I get terrible hangovers with even small amounts of melatonin. It might be genetic, as once I gave my mom some when she was visiting, and even a triple venti latte the next day couldn't really fully awaken her!

MeghanRF

Post by MeghanRF » Thu May 12, 2011 2:12 am

Hey!

I have found melatonin so wonderfully helpful in getting to sleep and sleeping deeper. But yes, despite this lovely benefit, I do feel groggy.

My naturopath advised me to go outside and get direct sunlight for 5-15 minutes, and that would shut down melatonin production in my brain (or something like that as melatonin is a natural chemical in your body tied to circadian rhythm/sunlight).

It works. If you can get out of bed, go get some direct sun and the grogginess will wear off.

Hope this works for you too!