If you've had Shingles, How long did they last?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jimnsc

If you've had Shingles, How long did they last?

Post by jimnsc » Mon May 09, 2011 2:22 pm

In the first two days of my experience my skin felt scalded (hurt to touch) but no rash then - lasted for two days. Third day the rash appeared right in the two areas I had the original pain. The next three days they appeared to enlarge/widen and a few formed blisters but not all. Six days in and they still hurt like the devil. I have looked up my question in several reliable places but they each tend to vary on how long they lasted. I realize everybody is different but I guess I'm just trying to get an idea of the average case duration - just to have something to look forward to, maybe. I'm asking about a normal outbreak - not complicated cases that developed into something worse.

Thanks - Jim

P.S. MIne may be prolonged due to a violent reaction to the medicine prescribed and discontinuing taking it (with the doc's approval).

LSAT

Re: If you've had Shingles, How long did they last?

Post by LSAT » Mon May 09, 2011 2:50 pm

I think it depends on how quickly you started on medication. When my wife had it she was told to start on meds within 72 hours to keep the outbreak at a minimum. She started Valtrex immediately. It took several weeks for the scabbing to disappear. After that experience we both got the Shingles Shot.

jnk

Post by jnk » Mon May 09, 2011 3:15 pm

How Long Does Shingles Last?
The cluster of blisters that form with shingles fill with fluid, pop, then start to ooze. Eventually the affected areas crust over and heal . . . The whole process may take three to four weeks from start to finish. Once all of the blisters are crusted over, the virus can no longer be spread. . . . Most people with intact immune systems recover completely from shingles. -- http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and- ... s-pictures

fuzzy96

Post by fuzzy96 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:49 pm

well i got 26 years outtta the ones i put on the main part of the house. not bad considreing they were 20 year shinles. now i put steel on so hopefully it outlasts me

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon May 09, 2011 4:13 pm

fuzzy96 wrote:well i got 26 years outtta the ones i put on the main part of the house. not bad considreing they were 20 year shinles. now i put steel on so hopefully it outlasts me

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

lakejumper

Post by lakejumper » Mon May 09, 2011 6:05 pm

I was fortunate in that I started taking Valtrex as soon as I called the on-call doctor and picked it up. Mine never blistered but the effects were present for about 10 days. I know that you don't want to think about this now but make sure that you get the vaccination after this episode has cleared up as you can get them again. Good luck with your recovery.

roster

Post by roster » Mon May 09, 2011 6:17 pm

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Mon May 09, 2011 9:43 pm

OT ...........Not Long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bubba Had Shingles Those of us who spend much time in a doctor's office should appreciate this! Doesn't it seem more and more that physicians are running their practices like an assembly line? Here's what happened to Bubba:

Bubba walked into a doctor's office and the receptionist asked him what he had. Bubba said: 'Shingles.' So she wrote down his name, address, medical insurance number and told him to have a seat.

Fifteen minutes later a nurse's aide came out and asked Bubba what he had..
Bubba said, 'Shingles.' So she wrote down his height, weight, a complete medical history and told Bubba to wait in the examining room.

A half hour later a nurse came in and asked Bubba what he had. Bubba said, 'Shingles..' So the nurse gave Bubba a blood test, a blood pressure test, an electrocardiogram, and told Bubba to take off all his clothes and wait for the doctor..

An hour later the doctor came in and found Bubba sitting patiently in the nude and asked Bubba what he had. Bubba said, 'Shingles.' The doctor asked, 'Where?'
Bubba said, 'Outside on the truck. Where do you want me to unload 'em??'

Sorry, you knew someone was going to tell this one!!

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS