F&P Icon Auto review..Humidifier issue?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT

F&P Icon Auto review..Humidifier issue?

Post by Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:39 am

I am testing a Fisher-Paykel Icon Auto. I have been very dry. I have increased the humidity setting from 3 to 4 to 5 (range 1-7). Each time it gets hotter and seems dryer. The humidifier is using about 60% of the chamber each night (6 to 7 hrs). Leaking is not a problem.

I have found other menu icons... "Boost" low,med, high (1 thermometer, 2 thermometers, 3 thermometers) What does this boost? The humidifier or the heated line? Both? When I increase the "Humidity" what am I increasing? Both?

I need more moisture but less tubing heat. I am back to my S9 and it had the same problem but using the manual override I am able to have it set just right for me (3.5 humidifier and 76 degree tubing), comfortable with no rainout.

I don't want to ruin another night of sleep so I would like to understand before I try again. Otherwise I like the look, the built in alarm clock, lack of power brick, ECO mode for battery use, and comfort of the flow (never leaves me gasping or SOB). It is a little noisy having a slight whine when I exhale, taking some getting used to. Otherwise it is a nice machine. I don't know how well it it titrating me set 14 to 18 cmH2O. I will review that data with the rep next week.

Any help regarding the humidifier would be appreciated.

I am on a life quest for the perfect night's sleep...Keep trying...Good sleep can blow!

carolp

Re: F&P Icon Auto review..Humidifier issue?

Post by carolp » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:50 pm

did you ever get a respnse to your post?
I am very new to cpap,since 9/11/2011. I have the Auto icon, and have these issues the same as you . the thing is too hot when I change to higher humidity.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:24 pm

I have the same questions about the Icon.

Need more humidity.

guest333

Post by guest333 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:05 am

*bump* I'd like to know this too!

KrisasMan

Post by KrisasMan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:02 am

I have only ever had an Icon so I can't say anything about comparing to other units. I live in MN and winter is quite dry so I have mine currently set to 7 humidity and 2 boost. Last week with a cold I cranked it up to 3 boost. The air does get a bit warm as it heats up to get the humidity going but seems to go down once the humidity gets going. It has been great for my sinuses in general. I just can't get the whole house anywhere close to that humid without rotting out my windows.

The last week I have been having problems with condensation even though I have the heated hose, this has been at both boost of 3 and 2. I think it is because my house drops to 62 at night and my hose is not supported and both nights it was dropping low next to my bed so any condensation pools. I don't have cozy so I think I am going to try that before I look into one of those hose supports.

South african

Post by South african » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:01 am

Changed all settings, as recommended by icon technical advisor and even wrapped up tube with a woolen scarf, still can not stop condensation. I am using icon auto. Any suggestions.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:57 pm

South african wrote:Changed all settings, as recommended by icon technical advisor and even wrapped up tube with a woolen scarf, still can not stop condensation. I am using icon auto. Any suggestions.
Add a stand alone heated hose like this one.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/hybern ... -hose.html
I had this one and used it till I got my ResMed machine that came with its own heated hose (Climateline) and I can tell you that it does work.

or you can make your own heated hose with Reptile heater cable which has been discussed often here and there are instructions on how to make it and what heater cable to use....just do a forum search for the discussions if you are inclined to make your own. I didn't want to try so opted to purchase the heated hose. I absolutely loved it. No need for anything to be wrapped around the hose (which added weight) and it worked perfectly at my preferred high humidity settings and cold bedroom preference.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.