General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lars4life

Post by lars4life » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:46 am

Last edited by lars4life on Mon May 23, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BleepingBeauty

Re: Sleeping too much?

Post by BleepingBeauty » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:59 am

There's a lot of sleep debt to repay, so I wouldn't worry about sleeping too much. You've been on the hose for less than a month at this point, and I'd expect your need for so much sleep will diminish as time goes on.

For now, enjoy it!
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:07 pm

http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleeping.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/how-ma ... gh/AN01487

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/ ... eally-need

I think even with the experts in sleep there is a wide variable and that is with people with "normal" sleep.
You may just be "catching up" or your body just may be wanting and needing to sleep more.

I can't stay in bed past the 8 hour mark myself but that is me. I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy it if it feels good. With time it might change or it might not. Not everyone needs the same sleep hours.

Also we have to remember that it isn't always the number of hours asleep but the quality of the sleep.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:58 pm

I have terrible sleep quality so, on weekends, I turn off the alarm and let myself wake naturally. It isn't unusual to clock 10 hours. My record, on this machine, was last Saturday night at 10:59. And, no, I still don't feel better after all that sleep, and it's been 3 and a half years on XCPAP.

Bev

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

ladyhen

Post by ladyhen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:17 pm

I've been asking myself the same question.

I'm in week 6 and am sleeping 10-11 hours per night. And I'm still tired. My AHI is ranging from 0.2-1.1 and is usually 0.6 or 0.8.

Christy

boognish

Post by boognish » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:20 pm

OutaSync wrote:I have terrible sleep quality so, on weekends, I turn off the alarm and let myself wake naturally. It isn't unusual to clock 10 hours. My record, on this machine, was last Saturday night at 10:59. And, no, I still don't feel better after all that sleep, and it's been 3 and a half years on XCPAP.

Bev
See, stories like this worry and depress me. You really don't feel any improvement after 3 and a half years on your machine? Why do you continue to use it? Just because your doctors tell you that it makes your numbers look better?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:40 pm

boognish wrote:See, stories like this worry and depress me. You really don't feel any improvement after 3 and a half years on your machine? Why do you continue to use it? Just because your doctors tell you that it makes your numbers look better?
We continue for any number of reasons.
Maybe the OSA is well treated and we have other issues that affect how we might feel. Pain? Med? General health issues? It isn't always OSA that is the culprit.
We continue because of the damage that would be done if we didn't have treatment. Think of it as preventive medicine. Preventing that heart attach or stroke or diabetes or whatever lack of oxygen might do to our bodies.
Maybe we had OSA for so long that the damage can't be undone and we have to be satisfied with stopping further damage.

Don't know your age but I am leaning toward younger (at least younger than me) As a society we tend to expect to see hard fast perceptible proof that a therapy or pill is being effective. Diabetics have their glucose tests. We only have subjective feelings and numbers that sometimes lie to us. Everyone is different. Everyone has different factors affecting how they feel. While we tend to want to compare with other people it is not a good comparison because there are simply too many variables that we don't know about.
Do I wake up and feel like running a marathon? Heck no, but you know what, even without OSA and the cpap, I wouldn't likely wake up and feel like running a marathon. But at least when I wake up I don't feel like I just ran a marathon.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:05 pm

"Do I wake up and feel like running a marathon? Heck no, but you know what, even without OSA and the cpap, I wouldn't likely wake up and feel like running a marathon. But at least when I wake up I don't feel like I just ran a marathon."

Great statement Pugsy!!

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:35 pm

Pugsy said it better than I could. I probably have had sleep apnea since I was a child and wasn't diagnosed until I was 52. I've seen my sleep studies and I've seen how long I stop breathing. The machine I have now rarely lets me have an apnea. I'm afraid to not use it. I have grandchildren and I intend to be around when they have children.

Bev

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT

Post by Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:23 am

Sleeping more than 7 to 8 hours is often "associated with chronic illness"...What does that mean?...too much sleep causes chronic illness? or chronic illness causing one to sleep too much? It's not clear but If you continue to sleep a lot more than 8 hrs a day, you may want to be evaluated for chronic illness...heart disease, thyroid, diabetes, kidney disease, liver disease etc. Right now you are probably working off a "sleep debt" so I wouldn't worry especially if you are sleeping and feeling good. Good luck.

I am on a life quest for the perfect night's sleep...Keep trying...Good sleep can blow!