Low AHI but I don't feel rested

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wulfman

Re: Low AHI but I don't feel rested

Post by Wulfman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:28 pm

kinggrayskull wrote:My AHI is only at 4.2, yet I don't feel refreshed at all!

I feel sleepy the whole day. ZZZZZ!

Beginner here. S9 Autoset was just purchased last week.
From the almost non-existent amount of information you've shared with us, I see three potential issues.

You're just getting started and it's going to take months to feel some recovery.

You're using an APAP and you didn't post what your pressure settings are, so I'd venture to guess that your minimum pressure setting is too low. Plus, the changing pressures during the night can disturb your sleep and leave you feeling unrested.

You're showing a nasal mask in your profile so there's a high probability that you're leaking your therapy air out your mouth while you're sleeping........which means you not really getting much if any therapy.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

boognish

Post by boognish » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:33 pm

Wulfman wrote:
kinggrayskull wrote:My AHI is only at 4.2, yet I don't feel refreshed at all!

I feel sleepy the whole day. ZZZZZ!

Beginner here. S9 Autoset was just purchased last week.
From the almost non-existent amount of information you've shared with us, I see three potential issues.

You're just getting started and it's going to take months to feel some recovery.

You're using an APAP and you didn't post what your pressure settings are, so I'd venture to guess that your minimum pressure setting is too low. Plus, the changing pressures during the night can disturb your sleep and leave you feeling unrested.

You're showing a nasal mask in your profile so there's a high probability that you're leaking your therapy air out your mouth while you're sleeping........which means you not really getting much if any therapy.

Den
How would one know if they were opening their mouth at night? And how common is it for people to do so?

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:45 pm

boognish wrote:How would one know if they were opening their mouth at night? And how common is it for people to do so?
The most glaring sign is that the person wakes up with a dry mouth. If they're using a nasal mask, their therapy air is then going out into the room and doing absolutely no good. If a person uses a full face mask, they can still have dry mouth by the reason that they're still mouth-breathing, but the therapy air is still being utilized.
Too many people think that they have to crank up their humidifier if they have dry mouth. Problem is that for many people, too much humidity can actually make nasal congestion worse and cause more mouth-breathing. So, more is not always better.

It's VERY common......and a big source of frustration to many users.......new and potentially long-time users.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05