Quattro FX -- Please post feedback on it

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BrianD

Re: Quattro FX -- Please post feedback on it

Post by BrianD » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:35 am

Hi,

I have been using the quattro fx for a week now. It seems it starts off with a strong seal, but after several hours or the whole night, small leaks develop by the sides of my mouth or my chin. I noticed today that those areas seem to be moist. I am wondering if slight movement is trapping moisture in there causing a loss of friction after some time. It seems strange because the straps are still in place, but there is more play in the form of slippage between the mask and the skin. Anyone else have any thoughts on this ? I tried shaving and removing oils before bed, but this really seems like humidifier moisture.

BrianD

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:48 am

Yes, I've been sticking with the small so far, but having erratic results. Last night I COULD get it to seal (in contrast to the night before when I couldn't get it to seal AT ALL), but then I woke up a couple of hours later with it leaking (into my eyes, I think...so tired, I can't remember). Oddly the leak line on my S9 often looks good even when the leaks wake me. I really really don't want to give up on this mask because it's the first FFM that doesn't hurt my nose! It's actually comfortable!
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Ms.Snuffleupagus

Post by Ms.Snuffleupagus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:37 pm

Well last night was my first night with the Quattro fx. Leak rate was 0.06. The headgear was okay, straps were not too tight. I could put at least 2 fingers under each of them.

Well, I woke up this morning with light marks on each side of my mid nasal bridge, similar to what you get when wearing glasses but not as pronounced. Problem is that the upper portion of the cushion, the part that sits on the "mid-bridge" of my nose does not appear wide enough. In fact when I put the mask on, I feel like this portion of the mask acts like a swimmer's nose plug and constricts my nasal passages, so that I have to breathe through my mouth. Mind you my nose is not small but not extra wide either. Today, the bridge of my nose felt like it was slightly bruised.

I wonder if the width of the upper cushion is bigger in the medium size Quattro fx? Then again the cushion length would probably be too long for me and would probably sit too close to the edge of my chin....well maybe..

Anyone else have this problem?

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:02 pm

There have been times I've tried to put it at what I think is "mid-bridge", but it's a bit too low and does give me a feeling of restricting my breathing. If you look in a mirror and sniff in and out, anything that is moving in the "nasal valve" region I think should not have a mask resting on it. Can you move it up just a bit higher?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Ms.Snuffleupagus

Post by Ms.Snuffleupagus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:23 pm

SU, you are right, I will try moving the mask up. Still feels tight though on the nasal bridge. Guess its supposed to be to prevent leaks. In this position though, the mask just barely touches the depression between the mouth and the chin...sigh. I wish they had a size between small and medium.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:34 pm

Ms.Snuffleupagus wrote:SU, you are right, I will try moving the mask up. Still feels tight though on the nasal bridge. Guess its supposed to be to prevent leaks. In this position though, the mask just barely touches the depression between the mouth and the chin...sigh. I wish they had a size between small and medium.
Is it tight due to the membrane or to the straps? Lots of people have complained the straps are too small (not for me, though). I have a narrow nose bridge, so it doesn't feel tight to me. It feels pretty comfortable, which is why I am bummed that it is leaking.

Ms.Snuffleupagus

Post by Ms.Snuffleupagus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:04 pm

SleepingUgly wrote: Is it tight due to the membrane or to the straps? Lots of people have complained the straps are too small (not for me, though). I have a narrow nose bridge, so it doesn't feel tight to me. It feels pretty comfortable, which is why I am bummed that it is leaking.
No, the straps are not too tight, I have plenty of room. I have a good size European nose, but not à la Streisand type. It just feels like the upper part of cushion is still a little too snug. It is somewhat better when I place the mask higher..

The cushion would definitely not fit persons who have wide flat nasal bridges.

I'll see how it goes tonight.

Edited to add: And my 95% pressure went up to 12.8 last night with the Quattro fx. With the Hybrid mask it is usually around 11. 5; with the Swift fx, it is usually no higher than 10.5. So it really looked like the Quattro fx was too tight last night. Maybe I would be better off with a medium.

drj130

Post by drj130 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:40 pm

Sorry about the wait, I was a bad boy the other day and fell asleep without my mask on. I need my wife with me to help remind me

Looking at my leak lines, they have started to flatten out. I still have a few issues with leaks on this mask with the 'new' head gear if I turn my head too much, but other than that small issue, I think it will work out better for me.

David

Look twice, save a life. You never know when you might see a motorcyclist.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:24 am

Yeah, your leak line doesn't look great. Don't the leaks wake you? Once you start leaking, what do you have to do to the mask to get it not to leak?

drj130

Post by drj130 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:35 am

SleepingUgly wrote:Yeah, your leak line doesn't look great. Don't the leaks wake you? Once you start leaking, what do you have to do to the mask to get it not to leak?
They look better now then they did in the past. As far as the leaks waking me, no they don't. I think that once I turn my head back to where I'm face up again, it stops leaking again. I'll have to come up with a way to fix it so that I don't have to go too tight with the straps and such. May have to make something for that. Trial and error is all that it is for me.

Right now the headgear that is on it is from one of my spare Comfortgel FFMs. I'll see what I might be able to do. Ya never know what a tired mind will come up with.

David

Lou Cypher

Post by Lou Cypher » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:44 pm

Ms.Snuffleupagus wrote:Well last night was my first night with the Quattro fx. Leak rate was 0.06. The headgear was okay, straps were not too tight. I could put at least 2 fingers under each of them.

Well, I woke up this morning with light marks on each side of my mid nasal bridge, similar to what you get when wearing glasses but not as pronounced. Problem is that the upper portion of the cushion, the part that sits on the "mid-bridge" of my nose does not appear wide enough. In fact when I put the mask on, I feel like this portion of the mask acts like a swimmer's nose plug and constricts my nasal passages, so that I have to breathe through my mouth. Mind you my nose is not small but not extra wide either. Today, the bridge of my nose felt like it was slightly bruised.

I wonder if the width of the upper cushion is bigger in the medium size Quattro fx? Then again the cushion length would probably be too long for me and would probably sit too close to the edge of my chin....well maybe..

Anyone else have this problem?
Can I ask what your S8 machine setting is for the Q FX ??

My DME has one on order for me to try, just waiting now for the call to come in and get fit....

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:03 pm

drj130 wrote: Looking at my leak lines, they have started to flatten out. I still have a few issues with leaks on this mask with the 'new' head gear if I turn my head too much, but other than that small issue, I think it will work out better for me.

Ahh, David, this recent leak line is SO much better than what you have had PLUS I see a 7 hour use instead of the usual 5 hours.
Very good. Keep up the good work.

Brenda

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

drj130

Post by drj130 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:52 pm

Pugsy wrote:
drj130 wrote: Looking at my leak lines, they have started to flatten out. I still have a few issues with leaks on this mask with the 'new' head gear if I turn my head too much, but other than that small issue, I think it will work out better for me.

Ahh, David, this recent leak line is SO much better than what you have had PLUS I see a 7 hour use instead of the usual 5 hours.
Very good. Keep up the good work.

Brenda
I know, I know. slowly I'm doing the right thing. Sleeping or trying to sleep more than what I'm use to doesn't feel 'normal' to me I'm just wondering how much tinkering I'm going to have to do with this current mask setup in order to kill the leaks all together. I feel like I'm re-designing the Quattro FX with what I'm doing.

If anyone wants to see what it looks like let me know and I'll post a pic or two. Who knows, I might wind up making the 'perfect' mask.

David

Ms.Snuffleupagus

Post by Ms.Snuffleupagus » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:42 pm

Lou Cypher wrote:
Can I ask what your S8 machine setting is for the Q FX ??

My DME has one on order for me to try, just waiting now for the call to come in and get fit....
Hi Lou,
I have it on MIR Full on my S8.

Last night was better. I had a low leak rate again of 0.6. I had the straps really loose yet was able to get a good seal except for the brief time I was on my back. I still had some difficulty breathing through my nose because of the pressure from the upper part of the cushion on each side of my nose. The cushion still feels a little small and tight over the nasal bridge, but I think a medium would be too big.

SU you mentioned that you have a very narrow nasal bridge. Maybe this is why you are having leaks here. I think maybe the upper part of the cushion is supposed to be very snug to prevent leaks. Do you think trying a little bit of padding such as mole skin could help?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:49 pm

I had way better fit, etc with the zzz-mask.
But, of course, I'm a little freaky.