Cleaning - how necessary?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
idamtnboy

Cleaning - how necessary?

Post by idamtnboy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:01 pm

This is one time when a forum search went too well!! I searched on 'cleaning' and got 4557 hits! Anyway, what I gleaned from scanning the threads is that everyone has their own cleaning routine and cleaning schedule. What I would like to know, and didn't see discussed, is just how important is it to clean the tank, hose, and mask? I've had my machine just over 3 months now. I use distilled water and top off the tank every night, only dumping the left over water occasionally, and then back into the DW jug, mostly if I'm going away overnight. The tank has stayed clean looking. I've cleaned the hose once, I think, and the mask about 3 or 4 times. I've never seen any visible crud or goo or anything else on the mask or hose. So, the question is, what kind of health danger, if any, am I courting by not doing a full fledged cleaning more often? I should mention that dust is no problem in our house. It's very air tight and the doors and windows stay closed and the furnace filters are almost never dirty. I also do not suffer from any chronic respiratory problems. I think growing up on a farm 60+ years ago gave me a strong immune system.

Hawthorne

Re: Cleaning - how necessary?

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:42 pm

The only time I do a really thorough clean is when I have had a cold or some bug (not often).

I do wash my nasal pillows or cushion, almost every day (use Citrus Wipes a few times a week).

I hardly ever remember to wash my main hose or the rest of my mask. I don't empty my humdifier water chamber daily anymore. I top it of about every second or third night, depending on the water level, and once every month or so I do empty it, wash the chamber and replace the distilled water. The water chamber never has any "baddies" in it at all.

I use Classic Ivory Dishwashing liquid for everthing cpap.

When I first started cpap (8 years ago) I washed everything every day (Manual and Provider said so)! The washing has become less and less frequent as time goes by. I rarely have a cold anymore at all, even though I take a couple of immune system depressent drugs for Rheumatoid Arthritis.

What helps me keep healthier is washing my hands well and often and getting a yearly flu shot!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:42 pm

here we go

I'll make the popcorn

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:02 pm

Uncle bob....."no butter please"

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:11 pm

There are clean-freaks here, and also slobs. Both are right. Any schedule that works for you is a good one.

Not sure I'd hassle with saving the used D. Water. It's not that expensive. But then, that's your call, too.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:18 pm

I wipe my mask every morning with an unscented wipe for the purpose as I tend to sweat during the night (hot flashes). I have (right now) a 2i humidifier which is so difficult to take apart and clean the DME advised me not to. I just top off the distilled water every night. Wash the hose every month or so, have several so while one is drying I can use another one. Check and change the filter every month, change if needed or check it again in a couple of weeks. The only thing I wouldn't do is to empty water from the humidifier back into the distilled water container, but that's just me, no special reason except that I like to keep that DW as clean as possible (actually use RO water).

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:28 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:here we go

I'll make the popcorn
I understand why the comment! Wulfman just PM'd me about the thread on this same subject dated Sep 28. Would have found it if I had searched on the word 'clean'! It's clear the reasons for cleaning are just a varied as the methods and schedules.

Maybe we should just ask forumadmin send this whole thread to the bit bucket in the sky and forget I ever brought it up!

Lou Cypher

Post by Lou Cypher » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:28 pm

Clean ????

CLEAN ???? You are supposed to clean this stuff???

Why didn't they tell me that 12 years ago when I started ????

I rather like the green color though in the humidifier , kind of like a patina... cough cough cough....

Can I have some of that Popcorn please ????

Yes I am kidding,, well not about the popcorn...........

jbenenson

Post by jbenenson » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:26 pm

I wipe my mask cushion and nasal pillows every day with a citrus wipe. I also hang the (Climate Line) hose and mask over the shower bar every day, although I don't think that it's necessary. Since I'm using distilled water exclusively I'm not going to clean the humidifier tank (otherwise what's the point of distilled?) I also change the hypoallergenic filter in the S9 every two weeks.
Never, never, never, never say never

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:39 pm

For new readers...here's an interesting old topic about many different cleaning routines:
Apr 19, 2005 subject: Cleaning CPAP Equipment
viewtopic.php?t=2482

My routine (more like a non-routine):
viewtopic.php?p=140614#p140614
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

snuginarug

Post by snuginarug » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:05 pm

I just cleaned my equipment for the first time yesterday. The idea of re-adjusting my straps after re-assembling everything disheartened me. I only got the darn thing adjusted correctly with help from the nice RT at the DME. So I got some tape and used it to mark where each strap was adjusted to. Washed, re-assembled, adjusted the straps to the tape marks... perfect fit!

Bert_Mathews

Post by Bert_Mathews » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:26 am

Also being a farm boy with more than my share of a STRONG IMMUNE SYSTEM.Image Along with being a CHEEP OLDFART - I do NOT use Distilled water (And living in Michigan the water is so hard you can drive it back into the ground!) the Lime and Iron does build up in the tank and a little Vinegar or Lemon Juice cuts it and restores the tank to new about every month.
Like snuginarug the redoing the straps is a PAIN in the %$#@ so even after 3 + Years I try to avoid it!
I have found that the nasal pillows seal better if NOT WASHED on a regular bases or replaced as often as recommended I have one set that is three years old. Just remember its YOUR HEALTH and you should be in charge so find a plan that works for you.Image
The DMS / Dr.'s are only interested in ONE THING "YOUR $$$$" so if they can sell you wipes or new hoses or make you worry about the buggy-man and make a $$$ that's what they will do...
Save your money and spend it on your grand-kids or a good steak!Image
Bert MathewsImage

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
http://www.sharpstones.com