AHI coming down, but...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SapphireCat

AHI coming down, but...

Post by SapphireCat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:00 pm

Hello! I'm new, but I've been lurking for a few weeks. I finally got my CPAP machine last Tuesday (Oct. 26), after beginning this whole process in August. I am definitely feeling better and have more energy, but I am still sleepy during the day at times. I had been diagnosed with severe OSA, with 69 AHI events, and a desaturation as low as 74. I've slept with my machine for 4 nights, although my data only shows the last 3 days. My pressure is set at 12. This is my data, so far:

9.24 therapy hours per day
3 days
0% big leaks
12.2 AHI
0% periodic breathing

My AHI average reading has come down each day, but it still seems higher than it should. Does this just take some time? Thanks for any insight you may give me.

Janknitz

Re: AHI coming down, but...

Post by Janknitz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Unfortunately, the LED screen data you get on a REMstar tells very little.

For one thing, your AHI is an average. It could have been higher one night, but be better now. There's no way to tell other than look at it first thing in the morning to see if it went up (bad night) or down (good night). If you're into math, you might be able to figure out your overall AHI each morning, BUT you won't see the breakdown of OA, CA, and Hypopnea without software or when these events are occurring.

The Large Leaks don't record the true leak rate, only HUGE leaks that in most cases you'd be aware of anyway.

You need to purchase the Encore Viewer software ($99 at cpap.com) to get any really useful data.

Meanwhile, it sounds like you are not having too much discomfort, using it for long sleeping periods and are already noticing that you feel better. Those are good signs. Keep it up and you should see those AHI's come down.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

williamco

Post by williamco » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:22 pm

AHI of 12 means that your therapy is not effective IMHO
in a poll on this forum, the average AHI for people who feel good is below 2
your AHI is not going to reach that level by itself. you have some work to do .

Again this is just my humble opinion

SapphireCat

Post by SapphireCat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:46 pm

Thanks for telling me which software to purchase. I may do that, but right now my insurance company is only renting my machine, to see if I'm compliant. Fortunately, I haven't had too much difficulty wearing my mask. I don't even use the ramp feature anymore. I'm relieved that the machine is very quiet, and I'm no longer disturbing my poor husband with snoring. I consider myself very lucky, so far. I actually look forward to going to bed and using my cpap because it makes my breathing feel good. I'm thinking my body must have been really suffering before I started using it. I don't remember having the energy I am starting to have. I feel really bad for those who are having a lot of trouble getting acclimated to using a cpap. I know I was very afraid that would happen to me.

SapphireCat

Post by SapphireCat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:50 pm

williamco wrote:AHI of 12 means that your therapy is not effective IMHO
in a poll on this forum, the average AHI for people who feel good is below 2
your AHI is not going to reach that level by itself. you have some work to do .

Again this is just my humble opinion
I thought it seemed high too, but I am feeling much better. I thought it might just be an adjustment thing. What kind of work are you referring to? I will probably talk to my DME this week.

jonquiljo

Post by jonquiljo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:02 pm

Is there any way to post an Encore Viewer download link so that SapphireCat can "borrow" it for a while?

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:49 pm

SapphireCat wrote:Hello! I'm new, but I've been lurking for a few weeks. I finally got my CPAP machine last Tuesday (Oct. 26), after beginning this whole process in August. I am definitely feeling better and have more energy, but I am still sleepy during the day at times. I had been diagnosed with severe OSA, with 69 AHI events, and a desaturation as low as 74. I've slept with my machine for 4 nights, although my data only shows the last 3 days. My pressure is set at 12. This is my data, so far:

9.24 therapy hours per day
3 days
0% big leaks
12.2 AHI
0% periodic breathing
My AHI average reading has come down each day, but it still seems higher than it should. Does this just take some time? Thanks for any insight you may give me.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/respi ... -plus.html
I'm sure there'll be more help coming but I'm wondering if this might be the machine you have and not the one you listed?

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

SapphireCat

Post by SapphireCat » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:17 pm

Yes! You are right. I couldn't find the exact name on my instruction manual on the list of choices, so I picked what I thought was the closest one. Thanks! I believe I've corrected it.