recording pulse oximeter

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cortez356

recording pulse oximeter

Post by cortez356 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:51 pm

What is a recommended make and model of an oximeter( not too expensive) that records data? What do you need to read the data? Where can these be purchased?

Thanks

Bob

HoseCrusher

Re: recording pulse oximeter

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:03 pm

Bob,

I am using the CMS50SE. It came with software. It is a finger tip unit and it takes some practice to keep it on your finger while you sleep. It can be done, but a wrist mounted unit may be easier to keep on all night.

When you receive your unit, be sure to check it against paramedic, hospital, sleep lab, or doctors office units to verify its accuracy.

Also, keep in mind that there is a learning curve to interpreting this data.

Tom

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:09 pm

Here's the one I use....and I've had it for over two years. The Turner Medical people are safe to do business with.

The software that comes with it is good.

http://www.turnermedical.com/SPO_PulseO ... imeter.htm

Highly recommended.

You're making a smart move by purchasing a recording oximeter.

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:13 pm

Good move with the oximeter. I use the CMS50E and it is great. As far as keeping it on my finger I use a piece of 3/4" blue masking tape and it works great. The software comes with it. Let us know if you get better than Version 1.0 although that version is just great as well. The unit is accurate - compared to a hospital grade unit that I compared it to regularly at rehab.

One more thing. The new ones come with both USB and bluetooth. You know ya wannnnnit.

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:10 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:Bob,

I am using the CMS50SE. It came with software. It is a finger tip unit and it takes some practice to keep it on your finger while you sleep. It can be done, but a wrist mounted unit may be easier to keep on all night.

When you receive your unit, be sure to check it against paramedic, hospital, sleep lab, or doctors office units to verify its accuracy.

Also, keep in mind that there is a learning curve to interpreting this data.

Tom
A spot check can only verify whether the device is capable of getting the correct value for the particular value you spot check. Mine, for example, can correctly report SpO2 of 95%, but it incapable of reporting values below 90%. That is not helpful for people trying to monitor overnight oxygen.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:43 pm

cortez356 wrote:What is a recommended make.....
A lot of participants here, including me, use Contec (CMS) recording oximeters and are happy with them.

As far as a model goes, that's a different matter. There is a wide selection of Contec models and if you look at people's equipment list lines in the footer of their posts, you will see many different models is use.

Basically, all the Contec models are OK. They all use the same oximetry technology and reporting software, but offer different mixes of secondary product features for different needs. In my case I wanted an oximeter that had a battery that could be recharged off a USB port, so I bought a CMS 60C which offers that particular feature.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited by billbolton on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

happysleeper

Post by happysleeper » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:50 pm

I have the CMS 50F. I tried the E, and found the probe that I put my finger in to be too uncomfortable to keep on all night. The sensor is in little recessed box, and the corners of the recessed area were too sharp for my finger. I just received the F, and the probe is much softer and more comfortable. You wear the oximeter on your wrist and the soft rubber probe attaches to your finger. I plan to use it tonight for the first night.

I agree, you want an oximeter which will record all night (which this one does), so that you can see what your highs and lows were, and compare to your hypopneas/apneas.

Cheers,

Happy Sleeper

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:40 pm

LoQ,

I checked my unit over several different saturation levels and it remained accurate. You can simulate a desaturation below 90% by exhaling and holding your breath for 40 - 45 seconds. If you hunch over and compress your diaphragm area and breath slow and shallow, you can reduce your O2 level to 92 - 94%. 6 full breaths a minute will get you in the 98% range.

To check the pulse rate you can check it at rest, then get up and go for a brisk walk and come back and check it again.

I was able to "loan" my unit to my cardiologist and he took it and compared it with the units in the hospital. His only negative comment was that when the signal is lost it takes longer to recover to accurate numbers than the hospital units.

I ignore the readings after a break in contact for a minute or so and that seems to take care of that issue.

I think the oximeter is a good additional look at how things are going. The xPAP machines give data based upon air flow and I think information about hear rate and oxygen saturation add a couple of more parameters to evaluate.

If we could figure out a way to add brain waves to the mix, we would have the ability to see sleep patterns...

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:31 am

I have the CMS-50F and like it a lot. With my situation, regular monitoring is pretty important and I have found the 50F to be a good unit. I have compared the results with the unit my DME uses and they are pretty close.

I asked my doctor if she would accept the results from my unit if I felt they needed to be addressed and she said she would.