Any advice on chosing between these machines?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
robysue

Any advice on chosing between these machines?

Post by robysue » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:28 am

I'll be picking out my CPAP machine on Thursday. The DME will let me chose between the following full data machines:

1) ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP (+ the corresponding heated humidifier)

2) Philips Resprionics System One REMstar Auto CPAP (+ the corresponding heated humidifier)

3) Fisher and Paykel ICON Auto CPAP with Built-in Humidifier

I want to be able to track my data. I'm aware that obtaining the appropriate software for all three machines may be an issue. Any ideas on which software might be easiest to find or install on a computer running XP?

Other things that matter a lot to me are:

Noise level. I'm pretty sure my husband won't be bothered by the noise, but I'm worried I might be since I often have trouble both falling asleep when there's noise in the room and staying asleep if there is noise in the room. The S8 that was used in my titration study seemed absolutely silent, which I liked!

Ability to quickly check basic data (AHI, leak) on the machine without downloading data is a big plus.

Size and ease of traveling with the machine. I don't travel much, but when I do I want to take the machine with me. Most travel is by car. But the guest rooms in my relatives houses are often very, very cramped because they're used for other purposes.

Thanks!

DreamDiver

Re: Any advice on chosing between these machines?

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:16 am

robysue wrote:I'll be picking out my CPAP machine on Thursday. The DME will let me chose between the following full data machines:

2) Philips Resprionics System One REMstar Auto CPAP (+ the corresponding heated humidifier)

I'd go with the S9 - but that's because I have one. I don't know enough about the ICON to give a reasonable answer on that one. It's new, isn 't it?

PR System One does not offer a heated hose, and you have to pay extra for the software.
I prefer the Resmed algorithms for auto pressure and open-airway sensing than those used by PR.
I also prefer the ResScan software over the PR software. You can look more closely at your data.
Both systems have flaws. Neither is perfect. I'd still get the S9.

I'll be interested to know how people like the ICON. I'd like to see the software and its readout and report methods. It comes with an on-board alarm clock and will use your preferred MP3's to wake you. It uses a proprietarily-shaped for the USB stick. I'm not sure if you could fit your own USB stick in it's niche. I don't know for sure whether it's a smart card in a USB interface (since they call it a 'smartstick') or a regular flash card. Given that you can add MP3's, I'm guessing it's a regular USB flash memory device. I like the travel case, but there isn't much room for anything else in the case, like a mask. If that clock face stays on all night, I probably wouldn't buy it because it's looks too bright. It also looks blue, and as we all know blue lights keep us awake.

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:24 am

I don't use any of these, but I read a post the other day from someone who has the new ICON and it had already caused problems for the user. Here is the post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55623&p=520613&hilit=ICON#p520613 Any machine could be defective, but thought I'd mention this particular post on this new machine. To me, brand new always comes with its break-in period of needing tweaks.

The folks on here really like the S9, and if your insurance is paying.... go for it. The software is readily available from those who have the secret link.... just ask!

I went with the IntelliPAP since I was buying out of pocket, and because of its reputation. I don't think a lot of DME's carry it, though. They can make a lot more $$ off the expensive ones.

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:56 am

PR System One Auto is a great machine, but you probably will do better with the Evil Empire's S9 for the following reasons:

1. Some people do not like the algorithm of the PR S1--if you are a shallow breather, you may be awakened by puffs of air that try to stimulate breathing.

2. The LED screen only shows 7 and 30 day averages for AHI, and large leaks (which is pretty much useless to the user). You have to download the card to see more. It's very capable, data-wise, but only if you purchase the software ($99) and go through the trouble of downloading your card to see it. This data is instantly available on the S9 screen.

3. Some complain it's noisier, but I don't know, never having used an S9. It's very quiet, but there is a lot of "conducted" noise in masks that have short hoses of their own. Some people can hear an audible beep with inspiration (I have heard this only occasionally).

Hate to give business to the Evil Empire, but if I had a choice (I didn't), I'd have chosen the S9 over the PR S1 myself.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

robysue

Post by robysue » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:08 pm

Hate to give business to the Evil Empire, but if I had a choice (I didn't), I'd have chosen the S9 over the PR S1 myself.
Well, I haven't made the decision yet, but I'm leaning towards the S9. I guess I'll just pick and chose which Evil Empires to live with as a life-long Mac gal. [The PC that my CPAP data will be one that my hubby sets up for me from our large collection of XP-era PC's.]

And we've already decided the machine's name will be Boba Fett. So Evil Empire fits there.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:59 pm

robysue wrote:And we've already decided the machine's name will be Boba Fett. So Evil Empire fits there.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:44 pm

They did it--There is a S9 escape, there may also be a dumb brick Auto.
Read the specs and labels very carefully, young one. Do not be deceived.

elena88

Post by elena88 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:57 pm

I have had both the pr system one and the s nine autoset.

If you want roll over and see your basic stats for the night on your screen on the machine in the morning..

get that s nine autoset.. its very quiet, you cant hear it.. youll be glad you got it.

It also has a mask fitting function which comes in very handy, and the software is easy to get, and the graphs are easy to download, even
for a computer idiot like me.. (with some help from here!)

oh and you can use a slim line hose or a special heated hose that is available for extra.. fabulous to have in the winter..

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:28 pm

robysue wrote:I'll be picking out my CPAP machine on Thursday. The DME will let me chose between the following full data machines:

I want to be able to track my data. I'm aware that obtaining the appropriate software for all three machines may be an issue. Any ideas on which software might be easiest to find or install on a computer running XP?

Other things that matter a lot to me are:

Noise level. I'm pretty sure my husband won't be bothered by the noise, but I'm worried I might be since I often have trouble both falling asleep when there's noise in the room and staying asleep if there is noise in the room. The S8 that was used in my titration study seemed absolutely silent, which I liked!

Ability to quickly check basic data (AHI, leak) on the machine without downloading data is a big plus.

Size and ease of traveling with the machine. I don't travel much, but when I do I want to take the machine with me. Most travel is by car. But the guest rooms in my relatives houses are often very, very cramped because they're used for other purposes.

Thanks!
Not only that, but I'd also suggest looking at the reports that come from the various software packages. If you can't understand what you're looking at, it's not worth that much. This is where I give the Encore software from Philips/Respironics higher marks. Practically anyone with a little common sense can understand it.
Looking at summary numbers in an LCD screen on an Auto when running in a range of pressures is pretty useless.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

SCTTYDG

Post by SCTTYDG » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:47 pm

I tried the System One for one night -- hated it -- I was hyperventilating because I was trying to 'match' the machine sounds that it made when I exhaled. I traded it for the S9 Elite -- no noise whatsover, though it is so quiet you'll hear yourself breathe. I sleep with a small fan on in my room, so that didn't bother me. So far so good, and I'll be ordering the heated hose for the winter because I sleep in a very cold room and in the past the condensation in the hose has made me wake up. (If it builds up it makes a gurgling noise.)

Good luck!!!!