Newbie Here, Sleep Study Tonight: UPDATE 10/1

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
harwich

Newbie Here, Sleep Study Tonight: UPDATE 10/1

Post by harwich » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:38 pm

I going for my first sleep study tonight. I'll be leaving for the hospital in about two hours. I can't wait to see results. Anything I should know? (I should have asked this question sooner) Wish me luck.

UPDATE 10/1

I'm back. Got the results of my sleep study. I guess I slept more than I thought. Diagnosis: severe OSA.
" There were 67 apneas and 8 hypopneas resulting in an AHI of 30 and a respiratory disturbance index (RDI) of 30.80 events per hour. The mean duration was 19.3. The baseline SaO2 was 94.0% The mean saturation across the entire recording period was 92.0% The lowest desaturation was 86.0% (this was associated with a 34 second obstructive apnea) The patient experience 111 arousal's 73 of which were respiratory-related, resulting in a sleep efficiency of 82.6% The sleep architecture was significantly fragmented. The patient had 22.0% of Stage N1. 43% of stage N2, 17.6% of stage N3 and 0.0% REM sleep."
" Severe sleep disordered breathing was seen, characterized by loud snoring, repetitive hypopneas and apneas in NREM and REM sleep. The apnea/hypopnea index is 30.0 events per hour"
The doctor gave me a copy of the report without asking. He told me I should have a copy of the report. Nice guy.
He is scheduling me for a titration study. Any thing I should know before hand? I want to thank everyone for their replies and support, I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions after the titration study.

Thanks again,
Mike
Last edited by harwich on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

KC5cychris

Re: Newbie Here, Sleep Study Tonight

Post by KC5cychris » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:42 pm

GOOD LUCK and GOOD SLEEP

Just relax and rest, take your favorite pillow along it helped me thiers was way to soft.
Are you doing a slipt study or both in one night?

sleep well my freind
Chris

titrated pressure 10 current setting 12/15.5 autopap

REMEMBER THOSE WHO SERVED
ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL

harwich

Post by harwich » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:51 pm

They told me I would probably have to go only once so it's likely both in one night. I can't see Blue Cross paying for two nights.

Mike

KC5cychris

Post by KC5cychris » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:04 pm

harwich wrote:They told me I would probably have to go only once so it's likely both in one night. I can't see Blue Cross paying for two nights.

Mike
just depends on the clinic more than the insurance, I beleive
just relax and sleep as much as you can. It can be difficult when all hooked up. I pulled the leg wire off with the blanket twice.

sleep well

titrated pressure 10 current setting 12/15.5 autopap

REMEMBER THOSE WHO SERVED
ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Well, even my pathetic BCBS HMO paid for two nights! LOL!! Best of luck to you... keep us posted on your progress. The best thing you can do is read, read, read this forum. Go to the top and click on the yellow light bulb and go the wiki where there is a boatload of info to familiarize yourself with.

We look forward to your post-study report tomorrow!!

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

harwich

Post by harwich » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:41 pm

Looks like it's just going to be one night. I'm siting in "my room" right now. They are going to hook me up and fit me with a mask in about twenty minutes. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Mike

elena88

Post by elena88 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm

Oh I hope you sleep thru the night!

good luck!

elena

sleepmba

Post by sleepmba » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:17 am

Throw us a bone! Post your results!
For commentary from a 10 year Sleep Technologist visit my blog at: Recent Topics: Picture of the new baby/ Switching to Swift FX
http://www.sleepandcpap.blogspot.com
http://www.cpapmaskreview.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/sleepandcpap

harwich

Post by harwich » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:55 am

Things didn't go too well. Lights out at 10:30. Between 11:00 and 12:30 they came into the room 4 times. Three times for the same sensor, then they realized the wire was bad and changed it. The forth time a sensor came off. I also found the room too warm and asked the Tech to down the thermostat but I never cooled off. The outside temp was about 80 degrees all night.
I only slept for about three hours. I think the mesh of wires also contributed to the lack of sleep. They are sending the results to my Dr and when I tell my story, I'll see what she has to say. The sleep lab I went to was not their regular lab. Their regular lab is in the hospital but was undergoing emergency construction so they used a different lab.

Mike

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:12 am

They can get the data needed in about 2 hours of sleep.

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

harwich

Post by harwich » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:33 am

Thanks Emilia, I hope so, I don't want to go through that again.

Mike

sleepmba

Post by sleepmba » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:03 pm

Emilia is right. Even though that night wasn't close to normal for you, as long as you sleep a little, they can tell if you have sleep disordered breathing or sleep apnea.

They may want you to go back for a second night so they can try out CPAP. If they do, be sure to bring things that would make you feel more comfortable. A fan sounds like it would help.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
For commentary from a 10 year Sleep Technologist visit my blog at: Recent Topics: Picture of the new baby/ Switching to Swift FX
http://www.sleepandcpap.blogspot.com
http://www.cpapmaskreview.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/sleepandcpap

stephanie13724

Post by stephanie13724 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:07 pm

Dear Newbie,

I am a registered sleep tech (RPSGT) and have been working in sleep for almsot 5 years. I am so sorry your experience wasn't very good. I will tell you, it is equally as frustratiting to the tech when wires and sensors don't cooperate. Even if you do have to go back for a second night, please don't panic. The over all goal is to get you diagnosed and treated in the most accurate and thurough way possible. Plus, you'll know what to expect (wires + hookup) and will probably sleep better. If you do go back a second night, they will be adjusting (titrating) the CPAP machine and mask to fit exactly what your body needs. Once all is said and done, it will make your life a lot easier (or at least your sleep). I hope all goes well and I hope if you have any other questions at any time you feel free to post them here. This is a great forum!! Possibly the best I've found! Also, make sure you have a good support system around you for all of this. Keep in constant contact with your sleep doctor, the DME Company (company that will supply the machine and mask if needed), and find a local CPAP Support group. Check out American Sleep Apnea Association online and check locations for an A.W.A.K.E. CPAP support group. If you are in North Texas, I am the coordinator for one in Richardson. Feel free to email me directly if you would like more information about our group.

-Stephanie13724

stephanieg@richardsonhealth.com
Stephanie13724

harwich

Post by harwich » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm back. Got the results of my sleep study. I guess I slept more than I thought. Diagnosis: severe OSA.
" There were 67 apneas and 8 hypopneas resulting in an AHI of 30 and a respiratory disturbance index (RDI) of 30.80 events per hour. The mean duration was 19.3. The baseline SaO2 was 94.0% The mean saturation across the entire recording period was 92.0% The lowest desaturation was 86.0% (this was associated with a 34 second obstructive apnea) The patient experience 111 arousal's 73 of which were respiratory-related, resulting in a sleep efficiency of 82.6% The sleep architecture was significantly fragmented. The patient had 22.0% of Stage N1. 43% of stage N2, 17.6% of stage N3 and 0.0% REM sleep."
" Severe sleep disordered breathing was seen, characterized by loud snoring, repetitive hypopneas and apneas in NREM and REM sleep. The apnea/hypopnea index is 30.0 events per hour"
The doctor gave me a copy of the report without asking. He told me I should have a copy of the report. Nice guy.
He is scheduling me for a titration study. Any thing I should know before hand? I want to thank everyone for their replies and support, I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions after the titration study.

Thanks again,
Mike

cflame1

Re: Newbie Here, Sleep Study Tonight: UPDATE 10/1

Post by cflame1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:14 pm

Don't just settle on a mask, try on multiple and make notes about what you tried.

A mask shouldn't hurt... and shouldn't have to be cranked down so hard that it hurts in order to control the leaks.