Is it really necessary to clean tubing?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
OutaSync

Re: Is it really necessary to clean tubing?

Post by OutaSync » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:11 am

I've never washed my hose. Almost three years and still first hose. I can't imagine where the bacteria would be coming from if only filtered air runs through it. Our water leaves terrible water spots and there is no way I would want that inside of my hose to be blown up my nose at night.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Nord

Post by Nord » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:04 am

I believe it is an unnecessary risk to damage your hose integrity...
I only swish rinse my humidifier tank when I refill...
Change filters on your machine regularly...
Clean your mask regularly where there is facial and hand contact...
Clean your headgear a lot less often depending on the skin and hair conditions...

Just my thoughts...
Nord

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:15 am

OutaSync wrote:I've never washed my hose. Almost three years and still first hose. I can't imagine where the bacteria would be coming from if only filtered air runs through it. Our water leaves terrible water spots and there is no way I would want that inside of my hose to be blown up my nose at night.
Same here and it was five years (with the very same hose) on May 14th.

"That which doesn't kill you will only make you stronger."

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:23 am

I have been cleaning the hose less and less as of late; perhaps once a month with soapy water. The mask, however, I wipe every morning and wash every weekend completely to keep the horrid "blech" off it. So far so good. The scent free soaps tend NOT to be disinfectant. No problems.

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:04 pm

OutaSync wrote:I've never washed my hose. Almost three years and still first hose. I can't imagine where the bacteria would be coming from if only filtered air runs through it. Our water leaves terrible water spots and there is no way I would want that inside of my hose to be blown up my nose at night.

I'm using the term "bacteria" here but think "microbes," which includes bacteria, viruses, spores, etc.

Bacteria are everywhere.

* Bacteria can get through the air filter.

* Bacteria can get into the port of the machine when you disconnect the humidifier or though the humidifier connection.

* Bacteria can get into the water chamber of the humidifier when you add water or while you are removing, transporting, or putting it back into the machine.

* Bacteria from the air can get into the water chamber through the hose connect any time the hose is disconnected from it.

* Bacteria can travel down from the hose into the water chamber or up from the hose into your nose/mouth.

* Bacteria can travel from the mask into the hose, breed and mutate there for a while, and then travel into your mask again or into the humidifier.

* In fact, microbes from any of these pathways can park somewhere to breed and mutate, then travel eventually to your mouth/nose/lungs.

* In summary, any place in the system where air could reach, microbes can and will be there. The question is, are you creating a hostile environment or a welcoming environment for them?

Distilled water is distilled, not sterile. It comes with microbes whether you buy it in the store or brew your own. Unless you seal something air-tight, you should expect to get microbes in it. Although it can be a problem in the dry parts of the system, it is far more likely to be an issue where there is humidity. Even if you don't use a humidifier, your own breath is adding humidity to the equipment.

The fact that many of you have never noticed a problem doesn't mean there aren't microbes there, it means you've never noticed them.

To date.