Snoring ??? Need some help here.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lou Cypher

Snoring ??? Need some help here.

Post by Lou Cypher » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:44 pm

So this morning my wife tells me I was snoring very loud during the night .....

Now that amazes me as I haven't snored (that I know of) since I first got my cpap many years ago.....

I check my machine like I always do and here was last nights readings...

Leak 0
AHI 2.9
AI 0
HI 2.9

Now I know the autoset is notorious for scoring HI differently so I am not concerned about that 2.9

But how can I get 0 leaks, and no AI's yet snore ???

Obviously there is some knowledge I am lacking here........

HELP ..

Lou

KC5cychris

Re: Snoring ??? Need some help here.

Post by KC5cychris » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Lou you pose a good question so I am going to give yu a bump to get you back to the top
I am watching.

I have notice that my S9 occassionally has indications on the snore index that I think are loud so I ask the wife and she says I am quiet but if she is compaing me to a train or fighter jet as she used to refer I guess I just watch the data and keep after the leaks

Chris

titrated pressure 10 current setting 12/15.5 autopap

REMEMBER THOSE WHO SERVED
ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:07 pm

I would LOVE to know what to do about this. I rarely have a night where vibratory snores do not show up in my reports...and that's been since I started on cpap almost 3-1/2 years ago.

My AHI is almost always under 1. My vent rate is what it should be or slightly higher for my mask (although the Hybrid has a higher vent rate that most other masks). My hose does not drape over the headboard and is covered, so it's not rubbing on anything and causing false readings, it wouldn't seem.

Like last night the snore index was 26. It was spread out almost through the entire night with one big chunk of them in a one-hour period (at which time I also had one apnea and some hypopneas). So far in July the snore index average is about 17; in June it was 8.

I've bumped the pressure up from 8.5 to 9 a couple of times and it didn't seem to help, so I put it back down. And I sleep on a foam wedge, too. (Habit from before I was on cpap!) Wish I knew why. My husband snored like ten freight trains, but since starting cpap, his reports almost always show zero snores. (But at a pressure of 19, I would hope not!)

Pam

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Snoring CAN be independent from apnea/hypopnea conditions. Said a different way, you can snore and not have apneas and hypopneas.
If they continue to be an "issue" (to those who sleep with you), usually a little extra pressure can decrease their occurrences.
Since they occur on the inhale cycle, it could also indicate some nasal congestion. Nasal cleansing before bedtime or turning down the humidifier setting may help, too.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Are you running in AutoSet mode? If yes, was your 95% pressure (in the display) higher than usual? AutoSet hikes the pressure in response to snoring. Remember that AutoSet won't hike the pressure past the maximum pressure setting, so if your usual pressure is close to your maximum setting, you may want to increase the maximum to give AutoSet more leeway.
jeff

montana user

Post by montana user » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:31 am

[quote="Wulfman"]Snoring CAN be independent from apnea/hypopnea conditions. Said a different way, you can snore and not have apneas and hypopneas.
If they continue to be an "issue" (to those who sleep with you), usually a little extra pressure can decrease their occurrences.
Since they occur on the inhale cycle, it could also indicate some nasal congestion. Nasal cleansing before bedtime or turning down the humidifier setting may help, too.

I agree here! I often raise the pressure during titrations just for snoring. No apnea events, just the snore. When I brought my machine home, I started snoring about a month later, so I raised my pressure a couple and now do not snore and feel awsome!.

Lou Cypher

Post by Lou Cypher » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:12 pm

jdm2857 wrote:Are you running in AutoSet mode? If yes, was your 95% pressure (in the display) higher than usual? AutoSet hikes the pressure in response to snoring. Remember that AutoSet won't hike the pressure past the maximum pressure setting, so if your usual pressure is close to your maximum setting, you may want to increase the maximum to give AutoSet more leeway.
Yes running in autoset.. It goes anywhere from 11.2 to 12.4 with my average being 11.8 and that is what it was that night 11.8.

Lou Cypher

Post by Lou Cypher » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:14 pm

Wulfman wrote:Snoring CAN be independent from apnea/hypopnea conditions. Said a different way, you can snore and not have apneas and hypopneas.

Den
Possibility here. I do have the humidifier up a bit but if I turn it down, my throat is dry and sore in the
mornings. I also have sinus problems, living in the middle of the Sinus belt does that I guess.......

Thanks..

Lou Cypher

Post by Lou Cypher » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:16 pm

montana user wrote:
I often raise the pressure during titrations just for snoring. No apnea events, just the snore. When I brought my machine home, I started snoring about a month later, so I raised my pressure a couple and now do not snore and feel awsome!.
Define "I rasied my pressure a couple"

From what to what ???

Thanks

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:25 pm

Lou Cypher wrote:
Wulfman wrote:Snoring CAN be independent from apnea/hypopnea conditions. Said a different way, you can snore and not have apneas and hypopneas.

Den
Possibility here. I do have the humidifier up a bit but if I turn it down, my throat is dry and sore in the
mornings.
I also have sinus problems, living in the middle of the Sinus belt does that I guess.......

Thanks..
Are you SURE you're not leaking your therapy air out your mouth?

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

echo

Post by echo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:30 pm

Wulfman wrote:
Lou Cypher wrote: Possibility here. I do have the humidifier up a bit but if I turn it down, my throat is dry and sore in the
mornings.
I also have sinus problems, living in the middle of the Sinus belt does that I guess.......

Thanks..
Are you SURE you're not leaking your therapy air out your mouth?
Excellent question! Mouth breathing/leaking can make sinus issues worse too, btw.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:51 pm

WearyOne wrote:My husband snored like ten freight trains, but since starting cpap, his reports almost always show zero snores. (But at a pressure of 19, I would hope not!)
Pam,

CPAP doesn't work on a sliding scale. That is, a pressure of 20 doesn't mean that one is twice as bad as someone who runs at a pressure of 10. Rather, it is like an on-off switch. Someone with a really bad case can be fixed with a pressure of 9, and someone with a really mild case might need 22. In either case, running just 1 or 2 units of pressure too low can be the difference between excellent results and no results.

My titration pressure was 19. I did snore at times. Moving it from 19 to 20 made all the snores go away. It might be that moving your pressure up 1 or 2 notches might get rid of the snores. Then again, your snores could be due to a different reason, and changing pressures might not impact them at all. Keep in mind, too, that raising pressures without knowing fully what the impact is might end up causing more problems than what it solves. There never seems to be an easy answer here.

-john-

montana user

Post by montana user » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:35 pm

Lou Cypher wrote:
montana user wrote:
I often raise the pressure during titrations just for snoring. No apnea events, just the snore. When I brought my machine home, I started snoring about a month later, so I raised my pressure a couple and now do not snore and feel awsome!.
Define "I rasied my pressure a couple"

From what to what ???

Thanks
I rasied if from 7cmH2O to 9cmH2O Ive been on 9 for last 8 months now.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:45 pm

I tend to snore a little bit, lightly, but when I'm half awake in the morning--not sure why. I also have fairly high Vibratory Snore scores throughout the night. But I don't snore enough during sleep to notice or to keep my husband awake as long as I'm wearing my CPAP. AND, my AHI's are very low, so I don't see it as a big problem. Just very curious why it tends to occur when I'm in that half awake state, even if my machine is blasting at a high pressure.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

sleepmba

Post by sleepmba » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:20 am

I'm going with a pressure increase too.
For commentary from a 10 year Sleep Technologist visit my blog at: Recent Topics: Picture of the new baby/ Switching to Swift FX
http://www.sleepandcpap.blogspot.com
http://www.cpapmaskreview.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/sleepandcpap