Need help getting resmed s9!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wildbuc

Need help getting resmed s9!

Post by Wildbuc » Tue May 04, 2010 5:22 pm

Hello folks, I have recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea with a recommended CPAP pressure of 10 cm. My problem is that most of the area local providers will not sell me an S9. They are continually pushing the RemStar System One Plus, which provides virtually no feedback. They seem aggravated I do not just accept what they have to offer. I have found one dealer that will sell me a S9, but my prescribing physician will not answer my phone calls (and letter) addressing this issue to write a specific prescription for it. What to do? I feel very tired during the day and need help. By the way, after two sleep studies, NO one has scheduled an interpretive conference with me. Is there anything I am doing wrong?

oscar98

Re: Need help getting resmed s9!

Post by oscar98 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:39 pm

I just got my S9 and did not have to have a prescription specifically for that machine. All they asked for was a copy of my cpap prescription stating what pressure I needed the machine set at. My DME contacted my doctor and the doctor faxed it to them.

Is the DME with the S9 saying they won't give you an S9 unless it is written that way on the script??? If that is the case then you might need to go in the doctors office in person and explain to someone what you are wanting so that there is not confusion.

Wildbuc

Post by Wildbuc » Tue May 04, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks for the response. I will try and see if my local DME will contact the doctor directly and get a prescription. (I did send the doctor a letter stating specifically what I wanted, and provided him with the appropriate DME fax number.) I am getting a little ticked off with the haughty attitudes of local DMEs--and feeling not the greatest doesn't help.

oscar98

Post by oscar98 » Tue May 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Wildbuc wrote:Thanks for the response. I will try and see if my local DME will contact the doctor directly and get a prescription. (I did send the doctor a letter stating specifically what I wanted, and provided him with the appropriate DME fax number.) I am getting a little ticked off with the haughty attitudes of local DMEs--and feeling not the greatest doesn't help.
I completely understand how you feel. I just dumped a DME that had the attitude of you will take what we give and you will like it. They saddled me with a dataless machine with no EPR. I was running my pressure way to low because I couldn't adjust and without the data I had no idea how much benefit I was getting. When I asked them to give me the next step up with EPR they wanted $600.00 for a used one. (that's in addition to what my insurance was already paying them)

I called every DME I could find until I found one that would take over what little I had left in rental time and deliver me machine with data and EPR and these wonderful people brought me a shiny new S9 that I'm in love with.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue May 04, 2010 6:39 pm

If you don't already have your prescription (physical document), you NEED to get it.

With it, you can get what you want from https://www.cpap.com

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed May 05, 2010 10:47 am

Your family doctor can write the script for you if you have a good rapport w/him and he is willing. It doesn't have to be a "sleep doctor" writing the script.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Zzz_Jim

Post by Zzz_Jim » Thu May 06, 2010 6:09 pm

Wildbuc wrote:... By the way, after two sleep studies, NO one has scheduled an interpretive conference with me. Is there anything I am doing wrong?
So they took your money (or your insurance money) TWICE for sleep studies, and your doc NEVER even gave you a 10 minute office visit appointment to discuss the sleep study results? Some Doc! The sleep labs will furnish the report to whoever the test requesting Doc was, and he should discuss results with you. I'm not sure the sleep labs will deal with you direct.

And you should be able to request a copy of your test results also. They are part of YOUR medical record, and you have a right to them.