First Night on S9 compared with S8

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bigk

First Night on S9 compared with S8

Post by bigk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:52 pm

Well I had my first night on the S9 last night. I also got a new Swift FX as I will use the old one with my S8 when I travel.

Amazing results folk that I can't really believe.

I've used my original FX for some months now. Never had a leak rate anybetter than 0.06 l/s - interestingly, I previously used the Swift LT and had a ZERO leak rate. I founf the Swift FX was very similar to the leaks with the Activa that I originally used.

With the S9 last night I had a ZERO leak with the FX. I simply can't believe it.

My AHI for the last 3 months with the S8 was 2.0. Last night with the S9 it was 0.1 - never seen the likes of it.

When I put the mask on and Autostart kicked in I didn't even think the thing was on - it felt weird but I was getting air out the vent holes so it was working.

I set the climate control for 80°F but to my mind the air was pretty cool and I had a dry mouth through the night. I used the S8 Humidifier on the second lowest setting. I pulled the tub out this morning and it wasn't as warm as the S8 one used to get. I might increase the temperature for tonight.

I set up a 30 minute ramp, EPR OFF and set the minimum pressure as 10 and max as 15 so effectively mimicing the S8 settling.

I don't feel any different this morning - no better or worse but then I've never felt better being on CPAP anyway. Now to battle my way through understanding all the nice new shiny data in Resscan.

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Mirage Swift LT Nasal Pillows
Activa Nasal Mask
Resscan Software with USB + Data Card
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
MedicMon Blood Pressure Monitor
Aussie Heated Hose

Nord

Re: First Night on S9 compared with S8

Post by Nord » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:06 pm

Its amazing isn't it... its such an easy breathing experience.
Not perfect but until something better comes along...

Nord

bigk

Post by bigk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:16 pm

Nord wrote:Its amazing isn't it... its such an easy breathing experience.
Not perfect but until something better comes along...
I always used to wonder why people made such a big deal over EPR - the Resscan EasyBreathe pretty much negates the need for it in my opinion.

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Activa Nasal Mask
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
Aussie Heated Hose

hrc54

Post by hrc54 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi bigk-

Like you I own an S-8 then switched to the S-9. I use the Breeze pillows make by Puritan Bennett. With the S-8, I could match up my mask with a more specific Resmed mask. With the S-9, the options are "nasal, full face, nasal ultra & pillows". So, I look at the leak rate for the Resmed pillows mask & see at my presssure of 13 cm-it's 38.6 l/m. For my Breeze mask at pressure of 13 cm the leak rate is 25.8 l/m. I've wondered this myself. That's a big difference in leak rates. So, if I choose the "pillows" option-will it compensate for the difference & give me more pressure than the 13 cm?

I'm sure that the "pillows" option on the S-9 is that Resmed is ASSUMING you're using the Resmed Swift mask. So, maybe someone more technical than me can answer that question. Even with other manufacturers of pillows masks there is a large difference in the intentional leak rate between Resmed, Puritan Bennett & Respironics. In setting the pressure & monitoring the leak rate each day should the differences in intentional leak rates be taken into account? If so, how?

Thanks-Bob

Nord

Post by Nord » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:53 pm

You need to compare the masks that have the same leak rate from the ResMed list if possible. If there is a close match then use that mask for the selection and it will be within the tolerance. If not, you will have to do some math on your leak rates. Let me know if you're having any trouble after looking through the charts:

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/html/pr ... c=patients

Nord

bigk

Post by bigk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:22 pm

Yes - Nord is right - you have to look at the leak rate and find the most suitable one.

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Activa Nasal Mask
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
Aussie Heated Hose

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:46 am

hrc54 wrote:Hi bigk-

Like you I own an S-8 then switched to the S-9. I use the Breeze pillows make by Puritan Bennett. With the S-8, I could match up my mask with a more specific Resmed mask. With the S-9, the options are "nasal, full face, nasal ultra & pillows". So, I look at the leak rate for the Resmed pillows mask & see at my presssure of 13 cm-it's 38.6 l/m. For my Breeze mask at pressure of 13 cm the leak rate is 25.8 l/m. I've wondered this myself. That's a big difference in leak rates. So, if I choose the "pillows" option-will it compensate for the difference & give me more pressure than the 13 cm?

I'm sure that the "pillows" option on the S-9 is that Resmed is ASSUMING you're using the Resmed Swift mask. So, maybe someone more technical than me can answer that question. Even with other manufacturers of pillows masks there is a large difference in the intentional leak rate between Resmed, Puritan Bennett & Respironics. In setting the pressure & monitoring the leak rate each day should the differences in intentional leak rates be taken into account? If so, how?

Thanks-Bob
The Mask Type setting will not change your pressure--that is determined by the machine measuring the pressure in the closed air system it is creating. As I understand it, the setting is only used to report leak rate accurately by taking into account the expected exhaust rate of the mask. So, you may end up with a discrepancy in your leak rate reported, but should not affect your actual pressure.

(yet another Jeff)

hrc54

Post by hrc54 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:27 am

Thanks for the responses.

Bob

bigk

Post by bigk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm not so sure. The Resmed does change the pressure to compensate for the leak I thought. You may be correct though.

OK. Second night. AHI=0 (first time ever) Leak =0 as well. I actually feel more rested this morning but I'm sure that is just a psychosomatic reaction.

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Activa Nasal Mask
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
Aussie Heated Hose

Nord

Post by Nord » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:26 pm

Congrats... psychosomatic or not ... them's good numbers.

Nord

bigk

Post by bigk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:09 pm

LOL. Thanks Nord. Can't believe the difference from the S8II which I thought was perfect.

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Activa Nasal Mask
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
Aussie Heated Hose